ABCD Youth Summer Jobs! 14-21 year olds

kathry...@bostonabcd.org

May 27, 2015, 2:30:53 PM5/27/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Do you know any youth who would like to make some $$ this summer vacation?

I am writing to you regarding two of ABCD’s summer youth programs that I would like to share with you and your colleagues here in Brighton (and across the city, for that matter).

The two programs are as follows:

SummerWorks:

SummerWorks is a 6-week long youth employment program for Boston youth between the ages of 14-21. Income eligibility requirements do apply (200% of FPL). Interested youth can apply at any ABCD neighborhood site or at home on their computer at www.summerworks.net. After the application is done online, documents are needed to support the application. If eligible and selected, youth will be placed at a job within an organization located in their neighborhood. Youth will work 20 hours/week for $9.00/hour.

In addition to work placements, youth will participate in workshops at ABCD where they will learn about job readiness, financial management, career planning, health and safety, conflict resolution, etc.

Applications are now available online at www.summerworks.net. The deadline to apply is June 12th, but the earlier the better!

To view Allston Brighton NOC's SummerWorks 2014 video, please see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKzaomRr9g

For those who are 13 years old, there is still an option for you:

Youth Engaged in Action! (YEA!):

YEA! is a 3 week long program for 13 year olds who are not yet able to work. The program runs daily from 10am-2pm and covers topics such as Civic Engagement, Financial Literacy, Social Justice and Food Access.

Last year our youth joined us as we visited neighborhood Community Gardens, Grocery Stores and local Food Pantries with scavenger hunts to help learn about food access in our community. Additionally, our 10 participants were able to meet and speak with State Senator, Sal DiDomenico about his role in the State House and hear about what it means to be an elected official. As a part of our Social Justice curriculum, all of our 13 year olds also heard from a local Community Advocacte, Catherine Snedeker, about what it means to be engaged in the community and how they can get involved. As a result, all of our youth participated in a Social Action project.

All youth enrolled in our YEA! program are guarenteed jobs the following summer in our SummerWorks program. Through this program, the youth can find out about community resources and begin thinking about how to set up their future while having a lot of fun and meeting new friends.

To view Allston Brighton NOC's YEA! 2014 video, please see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFRrdvVsOh4&list=PLa5fg1eBku06hAc8dxSTTqs_3hk6lfzEt&index=5

If you know of any youth who may want to be involved and earn some $$, please call us at 617-903-3640 or stop by! We are located within the Presentation School Foundation at 640 Washington St, Suite 203, in Oak Square, Brighton.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Elba Mendez

Jun 22, 2015, 6:49:14 PM6/22/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com