Fw: Important Citywide Fair Housing Meeting!

Joan Pasquale

Jun 20, 2017, 4:24:24 PM6/20/17
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Cleveland Circle Community Google Group

From: Erica at Southwest Boston CDC <patr...@www-swbcdc.ccsend.com> on behalf of Erica at Southwest Boston CDC <esch...@swbcdc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:04 PM
To: PCB...@Mail.com
Subject: Important Community Meetings this week and next!

Southwest Boston Community Development Corporation

Fair Housing Hearing Tomorrow!

The City of Boston and the Boston Housing Authority, in consultation with the Office of Fair Housing and Equity, seek community input on a new plan called the Assessment of Fair Housing.

When completed, this new Fair Housing Plan will have key priorities and goals to meet fair housing needs. the plan will also guide how federal resources are invested in Boston.

Citywide Hearing on the Draft Fair Housing Plan
Wednesday June 21st
6:00 - 8:00 pm

at the
Anna Cole Community Center
10 Lamartine St Ext
Jamaica Plain

To learn more, visit:

You can also complete the Fair Housing survey And share with neighbors:

For some context, read this call to action from some of SWBCDC's allies:

Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) "Call to Action"

Since its inception in 1968 the federal Fair Housing Act has imposed a duty on state and local governments to take actions to Affirmatively Further Fair Housing (AFFH).  In 2015 HUD issued a final AFFH rule that requires cities like Boston, to have an effective planning approach for taking meaningful actions to overcome historic patterns of segregation, promote fair housing choice, and foster inclusive communities that are free from discrimination.

Boston has had a strong history of housing segregation and HUD has provided us with the Assessment of Fair Housing tool, so cities like Boston can take meaningful actions to combat housing discrimination and stop the patterns of segregation from getting worse. It gives cities like Boston a chance to foster inclusive communities free from discriminatory barriers that restrict access to opportunity based on protected class characteristics. Boston is required to undertake an Analysis of Fair Housing and submit it to HUD for review by October 2017.

HUD has given localities all over the country the opportunity to set in place an effective community process tool that allows many residents, especially those who have oftentimes been left out of the conversation, to speak out and voice their concerns and desires for their neighborhoods. It is up to us to ensure that the city take the steps necessary to allow those voices to be heard. AFFH means taking meaningful actions that, taken together, address significant disparities in housing needs and in access to opportunity. It means replacing segregated living patterns with truly integrated and balanced living patterns, transforming communities of color and low income neighborhoods into areas of prosperity. It also means fostering and maintaining compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws.

Let's help Boston reach this goal. We need community input and we need representation from all sides of our city. We need the voices of our youth, elders, persons with disabilities, women, families with children, minorities, LGBTQ, and all other protected class communities. Will you join us in shaping Boston's future housing policies? We need your help if we are going to be successful in addressing Boston's housing crisis and protecting the rights of all our residents.

Our Steering Committee is working to keep the city accountable to the new community process and asking them to go beyond HUD's requirements by helping them formulate a fair housing plan that exhausts all avenues of commentary for improvement. Our desire is to aid the city in pulling communities together and collecting testimony of peoples struggle. Your organization's participation will help inform the city of what residents see as issues that affect and deter their access to fair housing.

We need action to move this process forward and submitting community feedback is one clear way of holding the City of Boston accountable.

For a Better Boston,
Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Steering Committee;

Robert Terrell, Fair Housing Center of Greater Boston
Kathy Brown, and Kadineyse Ramize Peña Boston Tenant Coalition
Lincoln Laramond, Mattapan United
Karen Chen, Chinese Progressive Association
David Harris, Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice
Nilaya Montalvo, Homes for Families
Denisha McDonald. NAACP, Boston Chapter
Barbara Chandler, Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership
Zakiya Alake, Roxbury Neighborhood Council
Nadine Cohen and Margaret Turner, Greater Boston Legal Services
Sophia Hall, Lawyers for Civil Rights and Economic Justice
Thong Phan, Viet Aid & Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership

Join in and share your voice on June 28th!

In the Community Room at The Riverwood Shops
892 River Street, Behind Iora Health
Park by Dollar Tree

All Hyde Park and Mattapan residents are welcomed to attend!
Refreshments will be served
Translation in Spanish and Haitian Creole available as needed

The following groups are participating in the event:

East River Neighborhood Association
Edgewater Drive Neighborhood Association
Mattapan Food & Fitness
Mattapan United
Southwest Boston CDC & POHWER Committee

To RSVP or learn more, contact Alex: 617-364-7300 x24 ANa...@swbcdc.org
Follow the event via the POHWER Committee's Facebook page

Think our work to give you and your neighbors a voice around the community issues you care about is important?
Please give. No gift is too small or too big.  Thank you.

And, with our Community Investment Tax Credits, gifts of at least $1,000 are eligible for a 50% direct tax rebate from the state!

Contact Erica to learn more!
Find Us on Facebook!
Like us on Facebook

Southwest Boston Community Development Corporation, www.SWBCDC.org, 11 Fairmount Ave, #101, Hyde Park, MA 02136