37 Royal St. abutters meeting

Eva Webster

Feb 3, 2019, 6:27:34 PM2/3/19
to Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton, AllstonBrighton2006
A resident who lives on Royal Street in North Allston requested that I publicize an abutters meeting for proposed project at 37 Royal St.  It involves demolition of an existing house, and construction of a 4-story 7,085 sq. ft. development (the street has predominantly 2.5-story homes).

The abutters meeting is tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 4,  at 7 PM on site.

The attached flier includes  an email address to which residents can send comments.

37-Royal.pdf

Eva Webster

Feb 4, 2019, 9:43:51 AM2/4/19
to AllstonBrighton2006, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton
Last night, after I forwarded the notice of the abutters meeting for 37 Royal St. (attached), I noticed that if you scroll down in that notice, there is a rendering of the proposed development.

The good news is that this is not a boring, boxy apartment building, but three townhouses, each with 2,300+ SF of living space, and each has a garage space.  I assume they will be condos (I don’t know for sure), and given the sizes of those units, they have the capacity to attract families or other long-term residents.

The only problem I see with this project (admittedly from the sidelines, since I don’t live in Allston), is the proposed architectural design.  It’s not in synch with the character of other homes in that area (you can see it clearly in the rendering in the notice — all other homes have gabled roofs and dormers).  The proposed structure, if built as shown in the drawing, will stick out like a sore thumb.

There is nothing wrong with a new building that looks fresh and modern — but in my opinion it should have roof lines and fenestration that respectfully echo other buildings on the street.  The neighbors on Bigelow Street in Brighton recently faced the same problem — a project that was stylistically wrong for that street — and they were able to persuade the developer to improve the design.  So I hope the same can happen with 37 Royal Street.

37-Royal[5].pdf

Jean Powers

Feb 4, 2019, 12:06:26 PM2/4/19
to AllstonBrighton2006
Oh my god that building is hideous. Why does it have to be so ugly?

I don't understand how these things happen. Why some places are so pretty and others are so ugly.

How much say to abutters have over the design? When the beautiful farmhouse across the street from me was sold in 2013, the developer held abutters meetings.  I wasn't aware that we had any say in the matter, but Chip Alford showed up and demanded the new townhouses be stick-built (a term I had never heard) instead of prefab, and fit the architecture of the surrounding buildings. The proposed design was boxy and modern and there was a giant fence along Adamson Street -- like a ten-foot-tall fence. There were other weird things with parking and the placement of the driveway etc. etc. Chip told them to get rid of the fence, move the buildings back from the sidewalk, and change to look of the ones facing Adamson (the ones facing Everett maintained a modern look which makes sense in the context of that area). I have no idea how he managed to make that happen. Thank god he was there. I mean there were other people involved and we all spoke up and stuff but he was relentless and a force.

This is how the Adamson property looks now (I would have preferred the single family but this is pretty!)

this is the Everettt street side (more modern but still attractive)

Contrast that with what I truly believe is the ugliest building in Allston (I'm very sorry if it belong to one of you but jeez):

streetview.jpg

Jean Powers

Feb 4, 2019, 12:20:16 PM2/4/19
to AllstonBrighton2006
I'm still waiting to hear what kind of abomination is going to be built next to me at 1 Adamson Street. I'm scared.

Jean Powers

Feb 4, 2019, 12:43:19 PM2/4/19
to AllstonBrighton2006
Or this thing. Nothing about this makes sense to me. Nothing.

ugly.jpg

pmfe...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2019, 2:10:55 PM2/4/19
to AllstonBrighton2006
Thanks for sharing the notice. Interestingly enough, I live within the abutters area and never received notification of this meeting. Not the first time it happens.

paola