Re: [Cleveland-Circle] An appalling development -- and a recommendation -- concerning the enforcement of the "no-more-than-four" ordinance

Eva Webster

Sep 7, 2015, 2:54:42 PM9/7/15
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006
Dear Joanne, thank you for starting this interesting, thought-provoking discussion.

I worry that you may not like to hear this from me, but I actually I agree with the ISD that the no-more-than-four-undergraduates-in-a-unit is unenforceable.  From the beginning, the ordinance that instituted this rule was poorly thought-through.  (I don’t have time right now to explain why this ordinance was/is faulty, but I will try to elaborate on this at another time.)

Since I don’t believe that the “no-more-than-four-undergraduates-in-a-unit” is the right solution, I was somewhat disappointed with the direction of discussions at the well-meaning CDC Neighborhood Stabilization Task Force (that you and I, and others participate in), as well as the essence of the letter that was sent to the mayor on this subject.  The group is basically focusing on getting the City to enforce existing rules which I think are ineffective, unenforceable, and do not, and cannot, bring the desired results.

I believe that the only thing that can make a difference is a completely new approach — a city legislation that treats renting to groups of students as a business (which in reality it is), and requires that such a business be licensed.  There would be certain strict conditions for the Student Housing License to remain in effect, or otherwise the license could be suspended or permanently taken away.

Through licensing, it would be also possible to determine allowable concentration of student rentals in any given area — to ensure that no streets/areas are unduly overwhelmed.  To put it simply:  a new system needs to be set up that brings strong protections to the quality of life of nearby permanent residents (the current system does not do that).

After all, under the current system, you can have a whole bunch of absentee-owned 3-unit dwellings with 12 undergrads living legally in each of those units — all de facto small dorms — and it is STILL a major problem to the neighbors — because no one can make sure that student leases include some critically important provisions (such as how many cars can park on a given property, or if large loud parties are allowed or not), or to ensure how the property is run in terms of trash storage and landscape maintenance.

Basically, I think that the City needs to have a Student Housing Licensing Board — one with real powers to put bad student landlords out of business (this might even lead to certain properties being reverted to normal, perhaps even owner-occupied, housing).

How to get this done, and how to ensure that this Board would not be corrupt, or under exclusive control of politicians who may take campaign donations from student landlords, is another story. The number one step is to organize homeowners who have a major stake in the areas affected by student rentals.

Best,

Eva

On 9/7/15, 12:38 PM, "Clamp, Christina" <cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com on behalf of C.C...@snhu.edu> wrote:

While I agree about the importance of restricting occupancy, we have a property on our block that was a two family and the owner has rehabbed it into a 4 unit property.  The neighbors have fought it because of the number of cars it will bring onto the street and as well as added density.

Christina A. Clamp

Professor, School of Arts and Sciences

Director, Ph.D. Program, Community Economic Development

Director, Center for Co-operatives & CED

Southern New Hampshire University

2500 N. River Rd.

Manchester, NH 03106

http://www.snhu.edu

c.c...@snhu.edu

(603)644-3154

Sep 8, 2015, 10:09:07 AM9/8/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Eva,
  Due to some glitch apparently on this listserve, the posting from Saturday that you responded to (which I also sent to the Cleveland Circle area googlegroup and that's where you saw it apparently), never appeared on AB2006, so I'm sending it again. Here it is, corrected for the date reference:

There was a shocking development this weekend on the issue of the city’s enforcement of the zoning code provision that limits the number of undergraduate students in any  housing unit to four.  There is a news story that Inspectional Services Commissioner Christopher – who heads the department charged with enforcement – has declared the zoning code provision “basically unenforceable.”  And he indicated that no solution was in sight.

This is an excerpt from an article on BostonGlobe.com Friday, which includes a quote from him:

The city last year identified several hundred units that appeared to violate the rule barring more than four undergraduates from living together, but never issued a violation.

William Christopher, commissioner of Boston’s Inspectional Services Department, said the rule is “basically unenforceable.”

This declaration by a top city official is astounding because the ordinance creating this change in the zoning code was signed into law in early 2008 – more than 7 years ago.  And it’s been more than a year since the Globe Spotlight Team did a series focusing attention on overcrowded student housing and rampant violations of the ordinance.   And it’s only NOW that the city has come to the conclusion that the ordinance is unenforceable?  And this conclusion is just surfacing in a Globe interview?

This development is appalling and should be a major embarrassment to
City Hall because it conveys the impression that people did not take enforcement of the ordinance seriously if it took this long to figure it out. In fact, it looks like the City has never taken the ordinance seriously because as recently as today – as incredible as this may be -- I can’t locate any  reference to the ordinance, and informing people about the ordinance,  on the City of Boston’s website: not on  ISD’s main site, not on the “housing” section of ISD’s website, not on the segment of the city of Boston website for “students” and in particular rental housing for “students,”  not on the city of Boston’s page for the Office of Neighborhood Development that is described as the “rental housing center” and another page touted as listing
Top 10 Things Landlords Need To Know”   and not even on the ISD section of the website containing the requirement landlords to register their rental units.   (I may be missing something, but you can look yourself at these links, by way of example.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/residents/housingAndProperty.asp

http://www.cityofboston.gov/students/housing/, http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/housing/rental.asp ,

http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/

http://www.cityofboston.gov/isd/housing/

http://dnd.cityofboston.gov/#page/BostonRentalHousingCenter

http://dnd.cityofboston.gov/#page/what_landlords_need_to_know

 If the Walsh administration is stumped, it shouldn’t throw up its hands and proclaim defeat (as Commissioner Christopher seems to say has been done).  The website for the Department of Neighborhood Development boldly proclaims it is “making Boston the most livable city in the nation.” Well, to do that, City Hall can’t just throw in the towel.  The Walsh administration should turn to, among others, legal minds to brainstorm about legal mechanisms and tools – new mechanisms and tools, if necessary – to enforce this provision of the zoning code to help neighborhood stabilization and indeed help to make Boston a livable city.

The important purposes of the zoning code provision – as specifically expressed at the time of its passage – included improving the quality of life in Boston’s neighborhoods, preserving the character of Boston’s neighborhoods and alleviating the environmental and economic consequences of overcrowded student apartments.  It was recognized that a lack of limits on the number of undergraduates in units causes rents to become exorbitant, which has a cascading effect on rents in other housing, and ultimately drives up the cost of housing in general and deters and drives out owner-occupancy.  The housing market gets dominated and distorted by investors who squeeze multiple tenants into units in order to obtain not just some profit but outlandish profits at the expense of the quality of life in the neighborhoods.

 The city’s law department may be too busy and overburdened to deal with this, but the Boston area is teeming with legal minds. It has thousands of lawyers, 6 law schools (BU, BC, Harvard, Northeastern, Suffolk, New England) -- with their many professors – and thousands of law students.   At the very least, Boston should turn to experts and thinkers on zoning law and code enforcement and housing, and expanding to other areas to develop strategies and solutions.

The Walsh administration should make this a top priority, and a success story, rather than a major embarrassment and a flagrant failure of city government. After all, this is not as challenging as trying to solve world hunger or the refugee crisis in Europe, and there is no reason to treat it that way. There are many steps that could be taken to make significant progress to enforce this important zoning code provision.

For starters, if City Hall is truly stumped at this point, the Mayor should immediately form a high level panel or task force with representatives of various city agencies as well as members of the public with the appropriate expertise   – armed with the authority to say it represents the Mayor when it reaches out for assistance – to formulate specific strategies for addressing the issues relating to the enforcement of this important zoning provision and associated issues.

For the Mayor to fail to take meaningful, bold steps at this point would be tantamount to turning over to landlords,  who largely live in the suburbs and are not his constituents, reign over Brighton and Allston, which in turn would condemn Brighton and Allston homeowners and long-term residents -- who are truly the Mayor's constituents -- to continuing neighborhood de-stabilization, neighborhood degradation and deterioration in quality of life.

2:16 PM (19 hours ago)
   Joanne D’Alcomo
(A member of the Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation's Neighborhood Stabilization Task Force, speaking individually, not as a member of the Task Force)

Joanne D'Alcomo

Sep 8, 2015, 12:22:11 PM9/8/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com

Eva,

    I think it’s useful to have a healthy discussion about policy issues that affect the neighborhood, and I certainly don’t mind your disagreeing (or any other person disagreeing) with my position. That’s what “discussion” is all about, after all!

   And I’m not against exploring the notion of licensing that you mention as a way to control the conditions of units rented to students– assuming, for the moment, that such a scheme would be legal.  But I have a hard time imagining – if this is what you are thinking -- that a licensing scheme akin to liquor licensing that controls THE NUMBER of licenses that can be issued, and the SPECIFIC LOCATIONS in which they can be issued   -- meaning the number and location of properties that could rent to undergraduates  -- would be legal in the property law context. I think that type of restraint on the use of property would probably have a very uphill battle in the courts, but I’m not even sure that’s what you were thinking.

  In any event,  licensing by itself as you refer to it would NOT control the number of undergraduates in any one unit – and  that’s what I am in totally in favor of doing.

Limiting the number of undergraduates in any one unit helps to address the serious problem of exorbitant rents in Brighton and Allston, which de-stabilize neighborhoods because of the ripple effect such rents have on housing.   Licensing wouldn’t have any effect on exorbitant rents (unless, of course,  licensing was conditioned on a limit on the number of undergraduates, and then we are back at the limit to which you object).

On the other hand, if the city enforces the no-more-than-four ordinance, then landlords would be less able to charge outlandish rents for 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 bedroom units, because the landlords wouldn’t be able to pull rents from 5, 6, 7 or 8 different middle class or upper class families financing the students.   The practice of landlords charging exorbitant rents for units simply because they can – rather than charging rents that reflect the true state of the units – artificially inflates rents in general in Brighton and Allston, and more importantly, creates a ripple effect that drives up the cost of houses and two and three-family homes in Allston and Brighton and thus deters owner-occupancy.  If investors believe they can put unlimited numbers of undergraduates into a unit, the investors will pay much more for a home or two-family or three-family because they expect the return to be significant.  Potential owner-occupants are thus priced out of the market.

I know you fear that landlords will chop up homes to meet the no-more-than-four requirement, but that hasn’t happened as far as I am aware, and even if it did, I don’t think that would be such a bad result.  Any building  “divided up” to meet the no-more-than-four requirement would likely end up having LESS DENSITY, NOT MORE, because to create a new apartment,  the landlord would have to use up space to install more kitchens(one for each unit)  and, in all likelihood, more bathrooms.  And voila – fewer bedrooms, and thus fewer occupants and less density!

       Joanne

Joanne D'Alcomo

Charles Denison

Sep 14, 2015, 10:57:08 AM9/14/15
to AllstonBrighton2006
Since it was created, I've always thought the "no more than four students per apartment" rule was discriminatory, unenforceable, and unlikely to actually solve the problem. I see many problems with the rule:
  • Why are more than four students bad but more than four non-students okay? I've had neighbors who have completed college who are very rowdy and ones who are students who are very quiet.
  • How is a landlord reasonably supposed to tell whether someone is a student or not?
  • It makes no distinction about number of bedrooms. By this rule, you could put four students in a one bedroom apartment but no more than four in an apartment with more than four bedrooms.
  • Why is it okay to discriminate against students when it's clearly not okay to discriminate on other characteristics?
It seems like the best solution to me is to keep encouraging and permitting colleges to build more dorms and apartments on campus. The more students there are living on-campus, the fewer there are off-campus. Also, cracking down on absentee landlords who are neglecting their properties and who are violating safety regulations would help as well.

Charlie

Emma Hawes

Sep 15, 2015, 8:41:07 PM9/15/15
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBr...@googlegroups.com
Joanne said: "On the other hand, if the city enforces the no-more-than-four ordinance, then landlords would be less able to charge outlandish rents for 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 bedroom units, because the landlords wouldn’t be able to pull rents from 5, 6, 7 or 8 different middle class or upper class families financing the students.   The practice of landlords charging exorbitant rents for units simply because they can – rather than charging rents that reflect the true state of the units – artificially inflates rents in general in Brighton and Allston, and more importantly, creates a ripple effect that drives up the cost of houses and two and three-family homes in Allston and Brighton and thus deters owner-occupancy.  If investors believe they can put unlimited numbers of undergraduates into a unit, the investors will pay much more for a home or two-family or three-family because they expect the return to be significant.  Potential owner-occupants are thus priced out of the market."

This is the real issue, in my opinion. My husband and I have been looking at homes for sale, including a few two-unit homes, hoping to 'rent' to friends of ours who don't have the money for a down payment yet. The multi-family homes available in Allston are often blatantly ill-cared-for, even in the sales listings, and yet are commanding prices approaching a million dollars. One single friend of ours lives in a house that would, outside the city, be a comfortable single-family home with an in-law apartment in the basement. Instead, it's split up into bedrooms and the basement, and is inhabited by six unrelated (non-student) adults.

Boston needs to require colleges to provide adequate, affordable housing for all of their undergraduates. Renting an apartment off-campus should not be cheaper than living in a dorm. And this requirement should include our neighbors across the river, as their students often end up in Allston as well. Boston also needs to make the colleges here pay their PILOT payments, but that's a whole other issue.

Enforcing the no-more-than-4 undergraduates rule with a hefty monthly fine to the landlord would perhaps motivate landlords to be less absentee, and would help reduce the inflated rents. Enforcement could be done by random audits, audits when renters file complaints about issues, by undergraduates self-reporting (perhaps the rule could include a caveat that the undergraduates cannot have their lease terminated early due to landlord error), and by surveying colleges about the off-campus addresses listed by their students. The fine should be charged against the landlord, not the occupants. There would still be some situations like my friend living in a house with several other non-student adults, but cutting the undergraduates out of that potential population would be beneficial.

If Mayor Walsh wants to increase the number of middle-class families staying in the city, paying taxes, and sending their kids to city schools, the amount of family-appropriate living space needs to increase. Many of these large homes or two/three family homes have yards, parking, all the things middle-class families want. Filling that housing with undergraduates who are likely to leave once college is over takes away from the potential space for families, and lines the pockets of absentee landlords instead of homeowners.

Mike D

Sep 19, 2015, 3:16:35 PM9/19/15
to AllstonBrighton2006
Charles, in response to your second point rental applications ask for employer/occupation and landlords can ask one if he/she is a student.

Not sure if you are on the Cleveland Circle group, but there are more posts on there stating that students are not a protected class, so landlords can say no students, no pets, certain income limits and credit reports etc.

While I do think schools need to provide enough beds for all their undergrads, I wonder if students are being scapegoated for high rents and prices in Brighton. According to this Globe article there are about 1.5k students living off campus in Brighton.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/04/08/more-college-students-living-boston-campuses/tbSJ3Ab9Bx47pRR9JQmpMO/igraphic.html?p1=Article_Graphic

Brighton has a population approaching 40k people, so off campus undergrads are less than 4 percent of the population. If/when they all return to campus how will prices change?

Joanne D'Alcomo

Sep 26, 2015, 7:48:38 PM9/26/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

I'm finally getting around to writing about your comment in which you wondered if college students were being scapegoated for high rents and prices in Brighton.  Here's my thinking:

     College students have an impact on housing far beyond their pure numbers. Just think of it:  leases in Allston and Brighton (and certain other neighborhoods of the city) begin September 1. Now that’s not because professionals or working people or singles or even  families suddenly need housing on September 1, but rather it’s because college students drive the Boston rental market and the September 1 date is intended to coincide with the start of the first semester of the college calendar year.

 Even if all landlords don’t ultimately end up renting a particular unit to college students, many of the landlords – and their rental agents – advertise in hopes of doing so and in hopes of collecting exorbitant rents from groups of undergraduates, or for that matter, groups of graduate students. In other words, the number of apartments pitched to college students is greater than the number that are ultimately rented by college students because rarely does supply precisely match demand in this context.  In fact, this is proven by the remnants of rentals still available on the internet now in Brighton and Allston that were geared toward students for September 1, and went unfilled by college students apparently.

As a result of college students driving the rental market, rents in areas where there are concentrations of students such as Brighton and Allston are dominated by, and distorted by, the effect of those thousands of students in the marketplace. The high rents typically don't reflect the quality of the housing – rather, they reflect the number of tenants the  landlord expects to be able to fit into the apartment or house,  specifically, and often, the number of college students with different financial resources, such as parents.

If college students didn’t have such an impact on rents in Allston and Brighton  (and, as a consequence, housing prices in general since the market value of  homes and condos is correspondingly affected by rents),  you wouldn’t see the overwhelming number of leases in our area begin September 1, and apartments so heavily advertised for September 1.   The fact that lease terms start on September 1 for the most part in Allston and Brighton is so well-recognized that the media regularly covers the jammed streets and chaos that ensues each year in our neighborhoods on that date.  No such traffic and moving-in chaos occurs at other times of the year, and there is no media coverage.  In fact, the only activity remotely approaching the move-in frenzy of September 1 in Allston and Brighton is the moving-out chaos at the end of the college year – May.

So, I think that the empirical proof of the impact of college students on Brighton and Allston rents is prevalence of lease terms  beginning on September 1, and the accompanying advertising that we all have access to on the internet in the spring and summer where landlords and agents flood the rental listings seeking tenants for September 1.  There is simply no other time of the year that I am aware of in which so many apartments and homes in Brighton and Allston are advertised to start a lease term, other than September 1.

Joanne

Mike

May 9, 2018, 7:32:32 PM5/9/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
Not much news these days on No More Than Four. I did speak with the head of Inspectional Services a few weeks ago and he could not think of a single violation that has been issued. He claimed enforcement is a challenge due to state law. It is being treated as “an educational” issue to inform students and colleges each summer.

Mike
Orkney Road

AngelaT

May 10, 2018, 7:06:00 AM5/10/18
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
You are so right Mike. There is no enforcement whatsoever in Boston except the Boston violation tickets and tow cars on the streets that the city gets more money 💵 from it.
Sigh! What the world we are living.