Harvard Ed Portal Art Exhibition Reception: "Happy Birthday Venus!"

Brigid ORourke

Apr 27, 2016, 3:07:57 PM4/27/16
to AllstonBrighton2006

Art Exhibition Reception: "Happy Birthday Venus!"

Thursday, June 2, 2016, 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Harvard Ed Portal, 224 Western Ave., Allston

Stop by the Harvard Ed Portal as we celebrate our very first exhibition of public art! North Allston-based artist Konstantin Simun has been called, “one of New England’s most respected sculptors, and a cultural treasure of both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the City of Boston.” His work has appeared at the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, in national museums across his native Russia, and now at the Harvard Ed Portal – both indoors and out! Simun’s new exhibition Happy Birthday Venus! will be on display through the end of June, but please be sure to join us for the reception, where we’ll be celebrating Venus’ birthday (a homage to Simun’s use of Botticelli’s Birth of Venus as inspiration).

Konstantin Simun’s 1966 monument The Broken Ring, near St. Petersburg, Russia is acknowledged as one of the most significant memorials of World War II anywhere. More locally, his memorial to the puppeteer I. Fokin, called DooDoo, was installed in Harvard Square in 2001. His playful, thoughtful body of work uses mixed media to make sense of the world around him.

http://edportal.harvard.edu/event/art-exhibition-reception-happy-birthday-venus