Re: [AB2006] The Harvard Allston Partnership Fund Grant Awards Ceremony

Eva Webster

Mar 23, 2017, 1:40:27 PM3/23/17
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.
Hi, Tony — thanks for posting this information earlier this month (see below).

Do you know how this process works?

How do would-be recipients learn about this source of funding?
Who makes the decision which applications are funded — and is it done in a public forum?
What are/were the amounts?
Who selects/appoints the decision makers?
Is there a transparent process through which the community can have a say in which applications are funded?

I don’t think it’s anybody’s fault, but I am disappointed that no funding was awarded for green space improvement and beautification initiatives.

I think it would be good to set up a program of small grants to help low-income or otherwise qualifying property owners improve appearance of their properties in Allston-Brighton (for example by replacing signage, or removing vinyl siding, so the structure(s) could be sided with more appropriate cladding materials).
I think there should be a greater balance between tangible and intangible benefits.

On 3/9/17, 7:04 AM, "Anthony D'Isidoro" <allstonbr...@googlegroups.com on behalf of Anthony...@msn.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Here’s the complete list of the 2016-2017 recipients. Congratulations to everyone.

Tony

Allston Brighton Youth Hockey Association: Awarded grant to support “Learn to Skate” and hockey programs.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay: Awarded grant for mentoring 40 boys and girls in North Allston and North Brighton.

Boston Boxing and Fitness: Awarded grant to provide intensive fitness instruction to youth in North Allston and North Brighton.

Boston String Academy: Awarded grant to provide an after-school string musical program and offer performance opportunities to elementary school students.

CommonWheels: Awarded grant to support “Pedal Power” a program to teach bike safety to youth in North Allston and North Brighton.

Family Nurturing Center: Awarded grant to maintain and grow two existing playgroups serving roughly 50 families in North Allston and North Brighton.

The Fishing Academy: Awarded grant to help provide fishing instruction for area youth.

Friends of the Honan Allston Branch Library: Awarded grant to provide sewing instruction to approximately 50 people.

Gardner Pilot Academy: Awarded grant to support after school enrichment programs.

The Literacy Connection: Awarded grant to provide tutoring in English literacy and citizenship Preparation to 15 adults.

Midas Collaborative: Awarded grant to provide financial coaching to low income residents.

Oak Square YMCA: Awarded grant for scholarships for aquatic programs for at risk youth from Allston and Brighton.

West End House Camp: Awarded grant for scholarships that will allow 10 boys to attend overnight summer camp for two weeks.

Faust and Walsh Present Allston Awards at Ed Portal (Leah S. Yared, The Harvard Crimson: March 9, 2017)

University President Drew G. Faust joined Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh at the Ed Portal Wednesday evening to present the Harvard Allston Partnership Fund Awards.

The event, which is in its ninth year, supports nonprofit organizations that provide resources and services to Allston-Brighton residents. This year, thirteen local organizations received grant awards totaling $100,000.

“The thirteen non-profit organizations we recognize and celebrate today don’t just help individuals grow—they help individuals grow into citizens, into neighbors, into a community,” Faust said at the event. “We are proud to welcome them as partners in the effort to bring more opportunities to more people throughout our community.”

The program—which was created by the University and the City of Boston—has given a total of $900,000 in grants to 25 local non-profits.

"The Harvard Allston Partnership Fund is a great example of a public-private partnership that is making a real difference in people's lives," Walsh said, adding that the fund has helped support 4,000 Allston-Brighton residents.

Some of the organizations receiving funds include the Allston Brighton Youth Hockey Association, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, The Literacy Connection, Boston Boxing and Fitness, and Oak Square YMCA.

Founded in 2008, the Ed Portal is a community outreach center that provides free mentoring and classes for Allston residents.

Anthony D'Isidoro

Mar 24, 2017, 10:04:38 AM3/24/17
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.

Eva Webster

Mar 24, 2017, 11:04:56 AM3/24/17
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.
That’s very helpful. Thanks, Tony.  It looks like this fund is reasonably well administered — although it could perhaps use more publicity and a few more community Advisory Board members.