Weedmaps Marketing Campaign

Anthony D'Isidoro

Aug 16, 2017, 10:10:26 AM8/16/17
to cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc., allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Chestnut Hill Reservoir Forum, ABRA Group, <bc_neighbors_forum@googlegroups.com>, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to bring to your attention two billboards containing Weedmaps’ advertising in our community.

“States that legalized marijuana had 25% fewer opioid-related deaths.”

Of course this billboard was right down the street from McKinney Playground.

“Since legalizing marijuana in 2012, Colorado has had no increase in youth marijuana usage. Neither has Washington.”

Of course this billboard is right down the street from Cassidy Playground, Reilly Memorial Recreation Center, Boston College and the Jean B Waldstein Playground.

Talk about insensitivity.  What a great community partner Clear Channel Outdoors is.  They never hesitate coming before the community looking for zoning relief and working deals to expand and modernize their business.  However, confront them regarding their responsibilities to the community and you get a much different response.

Joanne Peterson, Executive Director at Learn to Cope, Inc., stated it best regarding the Weedmaps advertising: The marketing campaign “is misleading, disrespectful, and insensitive,” Peterson said. “People are burying their family members — they don’t need to see that it’s better to smoke marijuana.”

Tony

BARBARA MOSS

Aug 16, 2017, 3:10:44 PM8/16/17
to homeowners-union-o...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc., allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Chestnut Hill Reservoir Forum, ABRA Group, <bc_neighbors_forum@googlegroups.com>
And what is the solution?
Barb

Sent from my iPhone

Erin. Allston

Aug 16, 2017, 4:48:36 PM8/16/17
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, hp...@usa.net, chestnut-hill-...@googlegroups.com, Aberdeen-Brig...@googlegroups.com, bc_neighb...@googlegroups.com, homeowners-union-o...@googlegroups.com, Anthony...@msn.com
I have been a reader of this board, resident of Allston / Brighton for almost 20 years, but have not commented so hello to all my neighbors!

I can't comment to the intent of the Weedmaps marketing, but would bet they are not intending to be insensitive to the victims of addiction and their families but pique people's interest in learning more about medical marijuana and it's positive medical impacts. And possibly to try and expand the conversation to educate folks that Cannabis can provide a real alternative to pain relief that is not an addictive pharmaceutical leading and it's not the "devils lettuce" that will lead youth to a path of devastation and loss.

In states where Cannabis is legal, doctors are able to prescribe less of these addictive pharmaceuticals and instead can compliment treatment with cannabis.  Patients can also self medicate with cannabis for pain use as well and thus reduce their own usage of narcotics.  Since cannabis is not addictive for the majority of people and cannot kill you with an overdose and can help to alleviate pain and other ailments, it makes sense that deaths from opiates is reduced in medical marijuana states.

There are several events, conferences, and panels happening in Boston and around the state to help bring awareness of the new reality of legalized Cannabis in MA and what that means for medical usage.  I would encourage folks to look it up and attend or even just search Cannabis reducing Opiate usage for articles that will show a growing body of evidence that supports this stance.  What is needed is more research on a state and Federal level and for the Federal government to take Cannabis of the Schedule I listing of drugs so scientists can research this plant to create a larger body of evidence that can be used to treat folks with its healing / helpful properties and develop a program that  is incorporated responsibly into our society.

Regarding opioid reduction and how cannabis can help, here is one quick link to a Newsweek article   and some snippets:

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Here is a link to the National Institute of Health, a government organization who just finished up a report last year indicating there is  enough evidence to research further the therapeutic applications of various Cannabis chemicals and compounds. (This is a BIG development  for there was and still is the idea that there is no benefit with cannabis use which is anecdotally not true, hence the need for scientific research). Interestingly, this site has a link to look at emerging trends in drug usage and a quick scan will all show negative trends on opiates / painkillers and street synthetics of these that are causing states of emergency across the US. We know all too well in  our own communities that the opiate addiction problem is real and expanding.  Cannabis treatments may be one prong in the approach to reducing and eliminating the spread of this disease.

So yes, maybe these are not the best advertisements, but let's talk to the kids and our neighbors about what is happening in our society with the opioid crisis and what those faces and lives look like.
Let's talk to them about the tragedy of addiction and death from drug use and how we got here (over prescribing and pharmaceutical lobbies)
Let's talk to them about the dangers of using drugs or alcohol when you have a young and developing  brain.
Let's talk to them about the differences and impacts of all drugs...for both legal and illegal drugs are not going anywhere and we need to equip ourselves and our kids on when if and how to use these products.

Finally for Weedmaps, hit them up and ask for back up to their claims.  Ask them to address the community of the information they have.  Are there restrictions on billboard advertising for alcohol or tobacco by schools or public playgrounds?  If not, do we want them or need them?

Overall, let's talk about this more.

I enjoy reading this and being a part of this community so thanks for entertaining this comment if you made it this far.

Erin Scott
Litchfield Street
Brighton

Anthony D'Isidoro

Aug 18, 2017, 7:36:45 PM8/18/17
to cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc., allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Chestnut Hill Reservoir Forum, ABRA Group, <bc_neighbors_forum@googlegroups.com>, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton

Hello Everyone,

Here’s the latest one from Weedmaps: “Medicaid could have saved $1 billion in 2014 if marijuana were legal in all 50 states”. This billboard joins a Corona Light billboard at the corner of Cambridge St and Harvard Ave, directly across the street from the Allston Brighton Child & Family Center.

Not targeting a neighborhood? Not misleading, disrespectful, and insensitive?  A responsible community partner in Clear Channel Outdoors?  (Weedmaps claims Clear Channel Outdoors picks the locations) Give me a break.

Tony