Suffolk County District Attorney today - choosing who to vote for

Eva Webster

Nov 6, 2018, 8:16:41 AM11/6/18
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton
Pasted below is a list of charges for various offenses that Rachael Rollins, the democratic candidate for Suffolk County District Attorney, believes should not be prosecuted.
(For that reason the Police unions were not supporting her in the primary election, but she prevailed in the primary – since it’s usually when the party die-hards decide the outcome.)

Rachael Rollins is on the ballot today. An independent candidate named Michael Maloney, a criminal defense attorney, is challenging her.  If you agree with her position, you will likely vote for her.  If you have doubts, you may consier voting for Maloney.

CHARGES TO BE DECLINED

Charges for which the Default is to Decline Prosecuting (unless supervisor permission is obtained).

  • Trespassing
  • Shoplifting (including offenses that are essentially shoplifting but charged as larceny)
  • Larceny under $250
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Disturbing the peace
  • Receiving stolen property
  • Minor driving offenses, including operating with a suspend or revoked license
  • Breaking and entering — where it is into a vacant property or where it is for the purpose of sleeping or seeking refuge from the cold and there is no actual damage to property
  • Wanton or malicious destruction of property
  • Threats – excluding domestic violence
  • Minor in possession of alcohol
  • Drug possession
  • Drug possession with intent to distribute
  • A stand alone resisting arrest charge, i.e. cases where a person is charged with resisting arrest and that is the only charge
  • A resisting arrest charge combined with only charges that all fall under the list of charges to decline to prosecute, e.g. resisting arrest charge combined only with a trespassing charge

Michael Maloney claims support in face of Rachael Rollins’ policy

Hillary Chabot Wednesday, September 12, 2018
Michael Maloney, who is running for the Suffolk County district attorney seat, introduces himself during a candidates' forum at Suffolk County House of Correction at South Bay, Tuesday, June 26, 2018. Staff photo by Angela Rowlings.

Credit: Angela Rowlings

Suffolk District Attorney candidate Michael Maloney says outraged residents and concerned law enforcement officials are reaching out to him after learning about his rival’s “decline to prosecute” plan that would shield some thieves, drug dealers and other offenders from the courts.

“We’re hearing from a lot of people who are real­ly worried about this,” said Maloney, an Independent candidate who slammed Democrat Rachael Rollins’ hands-off policy as “dangerous.”

Rollins listed 15 crimes that she, if elected, wouldn’t prosecute — including resisting arrest, trespassing and shoplifting — on her campaign website. The former MassDOT general counsel beat four candidates in the Suffolk district attorney Democratic primary last week, campaigning on a progressive platform aimed at criminal reform.

The Boston Police Patrolmen’s union and the Massachusetts Retailers’ Association blasted Rollins’ plan last week, arguing it would leave many community members defenseless.

Maloney said his campaign sat down yesterday with a group of law enforcement officials who reached out after hearing about his opponent’s agenda. He also said he’s had a flood of interest from district residents.

“We’re certainly getting momentum,” he said. “I haven’t slept in the past week.”

But even with new support, Maloney is facing tough odds against Rollins.

A total of seven people have contributed to Maloney’s campaign since he began the race in April, according to the Massachusetts Office of Campaign and Political Finance. Maloney himself is the biggest donor, lending the campaign $9,000. He currently has $4,460 in his campaign account, while Rollins has $79,560.

“To be honest, in the first few weeks it was only very close friends who donated, but it really has picked up and I’m confident we’re going to be competitive,” said Maloney.

As the Democratic nominee, Rollins can also count on built-in campaign assistance from the state party in the 2-month-long general election. The former transportation lawyer has also vowed to repeal mandatory minimum sentences for all drug offenses and oppose cash bail. She is part of a nationwide progressive initiative to elect district attorneys that eschew tough on crime policies in and lean toward so-called “restorative justice.”

Maloney, however, said he’s undeterred.

“I’m out there and I’m hustling. I won’t be out-grinded,” he said.