There Is Hope

Anthony D'Isidoro

Feb 13, 2018, 5:20:12 PM2/13/18
to Anthony D'Isidoro

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share with you some information that I hope encourages you to keep up the fight for more owner occupied homeownership opportunities.  I know we are all development weary, but the pipeline is full of new projects and it is important we stay committed to the type of housing Allston Brighton desperately needs.

First, at today's Zoning Board of Appeal hearing, in my capacity as President of the Allston Civic Association, I was testifying in support of the 132-134 Holton St project.  This project is conversion of a two family house into a three unit condominium building using the basement and first floor as one duplex unit having four bedrooms and a unit on the second floor and a unit on the third floor.

I explained to the ZBA that our support was not conditional on deed restricting some or all of the units, although we were disappointed the proponents were reluctant to do so, given the size of the project would be perfect for families.  At the ACA January meeting, I promised and did so send them information as to how they could be a little more creative and flexible in guaranteeing owner occupancy.  Of course Bob Pessek (thank you Bob) is always there to challenge the proponents to make that commitment.

As I finished my remarks, the attorney for the proponents apologized for forgetting to mention "that based on the information Mr. D'Isidoro presented to us, we can now commit to deed restricting two of the three units with the flexibility of having economic hardship exemptions due to job relocation or illness".

Second, I am also aware of another project that was approved as a rental project that is now considering changing the projects to condos.

Third, and this is the most exciting and could be used as the standard.  Telford 180 (88 units) is now virtually complete and people are closing on their specific units.  I remember during the community review process Davis Companies made a number of commitments to the community so I wanted to check the legal documents.

Some of the highlights:

Units shall be used solely for residential purposes.

Investor units have been capped at 35%.

No more than three unrelated by blood, marriage or adoption can occupy a unit.

Leases allowed must be in writing for the entire unit.

Leases must be for a term no less than 12 months

No undergraduate student rentals.

No short term rentals or time sharing allowed.

No smoking allowed.

A key point to be made is that I heard the investor units sold very quickly and the other units excluding the affordable units sold out fast as well.  Which tells me there is strong demand for investor owned units (why we need to insist on guarantees of owner occupancy) and in owner occupied units as well (debunks what we hear from people who want to do rental projects or who are reluctant to do deed restrictions on homeownership opportunities).

Of course we are always grateful when a developer chooses condos over rentals.  But you see why this argument from those that are reluctant to guarantee a certain percentage or all the units are deed restricted "we are building these in a way that would discourage investors" doesn't fly.

If the rigidity of deed restrictions without exemptions is what is scaring them away, we should educate them that economic hardship considerations could be factored in.

Tony