Autohelm ST3000

Mad Viking

Jul 6, 2014, 4:18:32 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Autohelm is tripping breaker. Power to the head unit is fine, but when I engage the drive unit it will work for a very short time ( a few wheel adjustments) then the breaker trips. Any suggestions. In the Abaco's presently, not looking forward to hand steering all the way home.

Bill Cornpropst

Jul 6, 2014, 5:39:36 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the wheel drive is binding. Is it the BLACK drive or the gray one? The gears in the motor on the black one tended to strip and bind the motor causing it to draw excessive current. Not repairable any more unless you can find a used one. The gray drive is a different story, parts still available and it is rebuildable.

Bill

On 7/6/14 4:18 PM, Mad Viking wrote:
Autohelm is tripping breaker. Power to the head unit is fine, but when I engage the drive unit it will work for a very short time ( a few wheel adjustments) then the breaker trips. Any suggestions. In the Abaco's presently, not looking forward to hand steering all the way home.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Mad Viking

Jul 6, 2014, 8:50:13 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Mad Viking

Jul 6, 2014, 8:56:27 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
It's the black bullet shaped drive. Doesn't sound any different from when it worked before. Now as mentioned it makes a few adjustments then trips. Thought it may be asking for to many amps which caused breaker to trip,

Tom Burkett

Jul 6, 2014, 9:02:31 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Could your breaker be going bad?  I have known this to be a problem.  Try either replacing it with a new one, or if this is not possible due to your being in the Bahamas, switch it with one that is not as critical.

Tom

Mad Viking

Jul 6, 2014, 10:02:18 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thought it could be a "week" breaker. Could try another breaker. I am in Marsh Harbor so I think I may be able to get a new breaker or just rewire with a fuse. Installation calls for a 12 amp fuse. Will try and keep you posted.

Jim Goepel

Jul 6, 2014, 11:10:52 PM7/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
The other option that comes to mind is that the motor is going. I suspect it may be temperature related; the motor, or a faulty control component on the motor, may be overheating and shorting. I am not familiar with the autohelms but I assume it is a DC motor. I would check to see if there is a starter capacitor on the motor, and have that tested to see if it is working properly. My guess is that there is one, and it is failing she it gets hot, which happens as it recharges. The relatively short duty cycle between uses causes it to overheat and short out, which trips the breaker.  Alternatively, if one of the coils is shot, the motor could be sourcing more amps in an attempt to make the corrections.  Just some guesses, but other places to check.

Mad Viking

Jul 9, 2014, 5:10:40 PM7/9/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the drive motor is shot. Tried to wire it directly with an inline fuse and fuse blew immediately. Any suggestions for a replacement autopilot.

Jim Goepel

Jul 9, 2014, 5:24:53 PM7/9/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Is there a capacitor on the motor? If so check that before you toss the whole thing. Also, you may be able to get the motor repaired or replaced without having to replace the whole thing.

Bill Cornpropst

Jul 9, 2014, 5:51:53 PM7/9/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
You might try looking on Ebay or try googling the Autohelm 3000 and see what comes up. Otherwise it looks like time to upgrade to a current style pilot. The Raymarine Evoultion pilots work great and are not all that difficult to install and you get rid of that stumbling block of a belt.

Bill

Mad Viking

Jul 10, 2014, 9:59:01 AM7/10/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I might try and pull the motor apart. But after 30 years of service it is probably time to upgrade. Thanks for all your advise. Not looking forward to hand steering back across the Gulf Stream. If you get a chance check us out on Face Book. Search Mad Viking Photography and Sea Glass.

Harry Jansen

Jul 10, 2014, 12:50:03 PM7/10/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
that is exactly the reasoning behind carrying spare parts for crutial elements. Like belts, hoses, fuses and cables,plugs, clamps and so on..

Lee

Jul 11, 2014, 5:18:04 PM7/11/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

   I pulled my motor to do a repair to the backing plate and have re-installed the motor.  I have one problem that I can’t figure out.  There is a wire which I believe is purple (I’m fairly certain of this), which on the wiring diagram say that on the motor side it should be connected to the alternator.  When I do so, it back feeds the ignition switch (the fuel pump is always on), (on the panel side the purple wire does go to the ignition switch). Can anyone tell me where there purple wire (mine appears to be grey) is connected.  Tks.

-Lee

Chris Windeler

Jul 11, 2014, 7:36:12 PM7/11/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Here is my diagram. I carry 5 batteries.

Scan Motor wiring doc.TIF

Lee

Jul 12, 2014, 7:01:36 AM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Chris,

     This is a little different diagram than I have.  This shows purple on the panel side to the temp unit and to the regulator on the engine side.

Chris Windeler

Jul 12, 2014, 7:34:15 AM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Mine was a 1982 Allmand 31 with a 3 cyl Universal diesel 5424 or a M30 24hp
Chris

Tom Burkett

Jul 12, 2014, 9:04:10 AM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I can not say for all vessels, but if you were to refer to Nigel Calder's book " Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual", the Purple wire would be in the ignition circuit going from the ignition switch to the coil and instruments.

Also, Purple wiring, when used as instrument Feed, it would be between the distribution panel and the electrical instruments.

Tom

Sherry

Jul 12, 2014, 9:28:20 AM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lee,

I have the M25 also and rewired last year.  I added glow plug solenoids, fuses, and took out fire hazard ammeter in instrument panel.  I bought new wire harness through catalinadirect.com as the old ones were fire hazard.  I put in terminal blocks.  The colors and wire gauges I analyzed and have a sheet I can get to you this afternoon if you're interested.

Has good how to:

Has good projects just for the M25:

My M25 3cyl 21 hp is a Kubota so I bought new glow plugs, valves, and gasket assemblies 1/3 of cost going online to kubota.  They can cross reference your engine with letter and number in block.

Hope this helps,
Sherry
S/v Goldilocks
Allmand 35'

Lee

Jul 12, 2014, 10:41:38 AM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Thanks to all, when Chris posted his diagram I noticed that the wire is connected to the regulator side of the alternator.  I was connecting it to the power side.  I should have it worked out when I get to the boat.  Thanks

-Lee

Jul 12, 2014, 12:11:31 PM7/12/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you nailed it Lee, hope all works well..........Bill