Re: [Allmand] Re: Allmand 31 boom height above cockpit floor----

EDDIE...@aol.com

Jun 19, 2015, 9:44:53 AM6/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I also raised my boom at the mast so that we would have adequate clearance for our bimini. My solar panels are also on top of our bimini but a little further back so that they don't interfere with the boom. We also have a boomkicker that keeps the boom from droppong down onto the bimini. Our sail maker removed some inches from the top of the sail instead of from the bottom of the sail. See attached picture. Ed Smith, "Allmand Joy" New Port Richey, FL

In a message dated 6/19/2015 8:20:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kei...@comcast.net writes:
Bill,

In addition to Sam's very good suggestion I have also had the foot of the mainsail slightly re-cut to raise the clew enough to provide the necessary clearance. As long as you are not a hard core racer you will not notice any change in performance. It is more important to have the Bimini adequately high enough to get good visibility and comfortable walking around room for the Captain and crew.

I also find the area above the bimini an ideal place to thru bolt solar panels as long as you can live with the bimini being up permanently. I use small starboard spacers to raise the panels above the canvas by an inch or so to promote good airflow under the panels.

So I guess I am suggesting to build a proper Bimini and adjust the gooseneck and clew height to provide enough clearance, even when going upwind and the main is sheeted down hard.

Good Luck

Keith on Camelot

Jun 19, 2015, 11:29:40 AM6/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Just like Ed Smith, I installed a "Boomkicker".

Dave Iben
Hudson,FL