Fresh Water Tank

Andrew s/v Hafwen

Apr 26, 2014, 8:46:49 AM4/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if anyone has opened up the fresh water tank on their 31 for inspection and if you have any tips you could pass on. I've been trying to get mine open but no matter how much caulk I reef out, the lid won't budge. I'm also in the market for tips on cleaning  the fresh water system. We'll be living aboard this summer so it's imperative that the fresh water system is clean and working well.

Thanks!
Andrew
s/v Hafwen
31' #167

Jim Goepel

Apr 26, 2014, 8:54:14 AM4/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
If you follow the shock treatment advice you can find online, perhaps 3 or 4 times, then have the water tested, would that give you sufficient comfort?

Just trying to think of an alternative. If that doesn't work for you, how about using a hole saw to cut an inspection port?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

kei...@comcast.net

Apr 27, 2014, 11:22:18 AM4/27/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,
I opened mine up a little over 22 years ago so my memory is suspect. The caulk did a magnificent job of not releasing. Ultimately the stbd side of the lid had a minor amount of fiberglass tearing as I applied too much force but it did come off. I would suggest finding the weakest side that a slim putty knife will let you get some movement and working your way around it from there.You might also try using a solvent that advertises itself as a release agent for caulk. I have never had much success with them but if all else fails it could be worth a try. My slim putty knife along with some firmer ones to use as wedges allowed me to remove it.
If you are really ambitious I cut out the floor and the sides of the tank along the seams and moved them back about 4 inches and then rebuilt the tank reusing the same walls along with hand built spacers. Turned a 50 gallon tank into a 110 gallon tank. Only used a full tank when water was precious like in the Bahamas because it caused a definite bow down trim but the water sure tasted good.
Keith on Camelot

May 6, 2014, 12:25:58 PM5/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Pictures would be nice.
 Maybe even a small write up as to the tools required and parts list.

May 6, 2014, 1:11:43 PM5/6/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Can do! (If I can figure out how to post pictures to this group. :-)
> Google Groups "Allmand" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/allmand/l-YV9Pnl7B4/unsubscribe.

jgo...@jegconsulting.com

May 13, 2014, 12:09:17 PM5/13/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Andrew,

Dave_H just did a write-up of his process for installing an inspection plate, including several pictures.  In an effort to keep from overflowing everyone's E-mail boxes with pictures, I worked with Dave to include his write-up as a guest post on my blog:  http://dragonwingsailboat.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/guest-post-allmand-water-tank-access/

I thought it might be helpful for you.

If others here aren't technically savvy but would like to share their experiences, I'd be happy to include your write-ups too.

 - Jim