Re: [Allmand] Advice on buying a 81/31

Harry Jansen

Sep 20, 2017, 9:29:21 PM9/20/17
to all...@googlegroups.com
I can tell you all about Allmands. Made in Florida they are wonderful boats. The Allmand forum is very helpful. I had a 83 31 ft Allmand hull # 301. Be sure to check the rudder post shelf that holds the upper rudder post bearing. This tends to rot because of leaks, not only around the emergency tiller cover, but also around the cockpit table. Be sure you check out under the steering quadrant for rot and be sure the upper rudder post bearing is secure. If its loose your steering cable can and will jump off the quadrant, leaving you without any steering. Be sure there is a emergency tiller available in case of this emergency. The boats are great with a 4 ft draft they sail wonderfully. The main thing about the Allmand is their options from shelves in the V-berth to propane lockers under the aft seat. The ice box drains into the bilge.
 Any questions feel free to ask.
 Skip

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:31 PM, Dan Brooks <broo...@gmail.com> wrote:

A guy in our marina has a '81 Allmand 31 for sale. I can get this at an incredible price and she's in great shape but being new to sailing I haven't heard of an Allmand. I've been looking at O'Day's and Catalina's because of the ability to get parts, anyone can provide some guidance or feedback for me I'd appreciate it.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

James Goepel

Sep 20, 2017, 9:38:19 PM9/20/17
to all...@googlegroups.com
The engine is a fairly standard engine, so getting parts isn’t really an issue.  The rest of the stuff (running rigging, standing rigging, etc.) you’ll wind up mostly buying “custom” anyway, even if you went with Catalina or O’Day.  The biggest advantage of Catalina is a larger aftermarket for other “bells and whistles”, and more people to chime in with (mis)Information.  This Allmand group is fairly quiet, but immensely helpful.

My boat is in Chesapeake City, MD, and I live just northwest of Philly.  My 1980 Allmand 31 is my 2nd boat, but I only had my Catalina 25 for one season, so it doesn’t really count.  I’d be happy to chat by phone if you want, and can tell you the good and the bad, and what to look for as you climb around the boat.  You can also find out some about the Allmands on my blog - http://dragonwingsailboat.wordpress.com.  I haven’t updated it in about 2 years due to some family issues, but I hope to get back to it next year!

Mary Connaughton

Sep 20, 2017, 9:51:10 PM9/20/17
to all...@googlegroups.com
I have an 83 Allmand 31.  She is an awesome boat!  Sailed her for 6 years from Florida all through the Caribbean to Grenada, Bonaire, Colombia and now she is in Panama.  She is a tough boat.