Allmand 31 complete interior renovation

VanquishCC

Nov 20, 2014, 8:18:50 PM11/20/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Just picked up an 1983 31 tri-cabin. She was just about on her way to the scrap yard when we grabbed her up. She is a real mess inside. Everything had been leaking and after a couple years of neglect the interior is completely shot. We spent the last 3 days completely removing the entire interior. Pulled the engine today. Tomorrow I will start pulling hatches and ports to re-bed them and get this classic weather-tight. Over the next 4 months we will rebuild her to her glory. If anybody is interested in following the process I will post pics and updates periodically.

TNT

Lipham

Nov 24, 2014, 9:56:08 AM11/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Yes, post updates often.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 20, 2014, at 7:18 PM, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Just picked up an 1983 31 tri-cabin. She was just about on her way to the scrap yard when we grabbed her up. She is a real mess inside. Everything had been leaking and after a couple years of neglect the interior is completely shot. We spent the last 3 days completely removing the entire interior. Pulled the engine today. Tomorrow I will start pulling hatches and ports to re-bed them and get this classic weather-tight. Over the next 4 months we will rebuild her to her glory. If anybody is interested in following the process I will post pics and updates periodically.
>
> TNT
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Ralph Johnson Sr.

Nov 24, 2014, 10:14:04 AM11/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Would love to see your progress!!

On Thursday, November 20, 2014, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Just picked up an 1983 31 tri-cabin. She was just about on her way to the scrap yard when we grabbed her up. She is a real mess inside. Everything had been leaking and after a couple years of neglect the interior is completely shot. We spent the last 3 days completely removing the entire interior. Pulled the engine today. Tomorrow I will start pulling hatches and ports to re-bed them and get this classic weather-tight.  Over the next 4 months we will rebuild her to her glory. If anybody is interested in following the process I will post pics and updates periodically.

TNT

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Ralph Johnson Sr.

Johnson Brothers Wallcovering, Inc.
10470 John Brothers Place
La Plata, MD 20646
O: 301.870.3163
C: 301.802.7363

Lee and Cathy Coulter

Nov 24, 2014, 3:05:55 PM11/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
New Found Metals Tri-Matrix ports fit Allmands beautifully.  A little routing with their template and you have ports that don't leak, look great, and are cheaper than Beckson replacements.  You need 6 of each size.

Lee

Nov 24, 2014, 3:45:10 PM11/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on the new boat. Love to see the pictures of your progress.

-Lee

tutt

Dec 1, 2014, 11:06:29 AM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations. I bought an 82/31 about three years ago. The exterior was in excellent shape, but the interior was a damned mess. I redid it except for the headliner. I found some inexpensive materials that really dressed up the boat quite nicely. Good luck. Email me if I can provide any info.

I love my boat.

Tutt
S/V Dancer
Fort Pierce, Fl

VanquishCC

Dec 1, 2014, 4:01:08 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

As you can see the interior is almost completely stripped.  Lots of work to do yet.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Jim Goepel

Dec 1, 2014, 4:03:53 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that is actually pretty cool! It would be neat to start over, maybe move the head aft, etc.

On Dec 1, 2014, at 4:01 PM, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

As you can see the interior is almost completely stripped.  Lots of work to do yet.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
<1.jpg>
<2.jpg>

ktut...@mindspring.com

Dec 1, 2014, 4:13:09 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

I'm glad it's you and not me. Stay with it. You'll be glad you did. It's a pain in the ass, but there is something eminently satisfying about doing the work yourself. Keep me posted.

Tutt

S/V Dancer

Dec 1, 2014, 7:33:26 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com, cts...@sbcglobal.net
Thanks.  I have misplaced my paperwork, but the wood plaque in the v-berth says No. 654254 if anybody knows how to decode that one.

Chris Windeler

Dec 1, 2014, 8:54:18 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
The boat was documented and that is the documentation number. You can contact the Gov in West Virginia to get details of your boat.

Jim Goepel

Dec 1, 2014, 8:58:04 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Like Chris said, that's the USCG registration number. You can search the database online, I think.

VanquishCC

Dec 1, 2014, 9:47:07 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Found the online database. Looks like she was origonally named Gemini. No other info though. Ill get the HIN so we can figure out the hull number.

Sam Scudder

Dec 1, 2014, 10:21:08 PM12/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

That is your Coast Guard documentation number. The manufacturer's hull number is embossed on the outside of the hull on the top right of the transom. This is how we keep up with the boats as owners and boat names change.

Sam Scudder

Harry Jansen

Dec 2, 2014, 8:16:45 AM12/2/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hull numbers can be found indented on the upper starboard side of the transom. I've seen paperwork be wrong before.
While you are working on the insides ,do yourself a favor and thoroughly check out the rudder post shelf and bearings. Most water intrusion comes from not only the portals but also from the circulair emergency tiller cover on the cockpit floor between the cockpit table and the propane locker (should you have one). Water also seeps in from the cockpit table itself, rotting the shelf beneath the steering quadrant. Check it out for sure.

VanquishCC

Dec 2, 2014, 8:46:44 AM12/2/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I've been meaning to get the HIN off the transom, but my wife usually distracts me and I forget until I am about half way home. I have been researching this forum and others quite a bit and the rudder shelf is something I have on my top 10 list check and/or repair. From research it seems like many of you have had a problem with that. The cockpit table is coming out. The wife hates it. She wants more cockpit space. My thoughts are the wheel is lower than in most boats. I am 6'5"(if I stand up strait) and would prefer the wheel to be a little higher. So while I intended to raise the wheel/replace the pedestal for height and wood rot issues anyways, I will tack it on my wife's list of good ideas. Of all things on the boat she loves, she absolutely hates the origonal cockput table. I will build a flip up table for the new one. I probably should not have made the mistake of taking her to the Annapolis boat show to get some ideas. Lol. She is spoiled but it's nice she has an opinion.

d.a.v.e

Dec 2, 2014, 1:49:15 PM12/2/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Wow.. This is what we should have done with our boat.  Instead we have been doing it a little at a time.  Your way seems so much easyier but I don't have that kind of time right now :)

We rebuilt the starboard front lockers last year & the front bulkhead this year.  Next year is going to be all about wiring and I redoing my top hatches.

VanquishCC

Dec 5, 2014, 4:39:03 PM12/5/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Just pulled out the sheet of plywood in the back of the aft berth. Just so happens it provides easy access to the quadrant and rudder shelf. Yes the shelf will need replacing. We have decided to make some layout changes to the interior. I will update when we finalize everything.

Jim Goepel

Dec 5, 2014, 4:48:00 PM12/5/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
How hard was it to remove that sheet? I was thinking of replacing mine, since it has some mold stains.

> On Dec 5, 2014, at 4:39 PM, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Just pulled out the sheet of plywood in the back of the aft berth. Just so happens it provides easy access to the quadrant and rudder shelf. Yes the shelf will need replacing. We have decided to make some layout changes to the interior. I will update when we finalize everything.

VanquishCC

Dec 5, 2014, 9:57:00 PM12/5/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
The sheet was super easy to get out.  It has a few screws on the back side right in front of the rudder post that need to be removed.  Then from inside the berth unscrew the little box that covers the steering linkage and also pop the interior trim off.  there are a couple screws down bottom of the sheet and that is it.  Comes right out.  I was really astonished about how little holds it in.  Took all of 5 minutes to remove.  I am going to reuse the panel for a template on the new piece. You may have to pop out a piece of the headliner trim.  I had already removed my headliner.  No sealant or adhesive was used anywhere.  I would think you could replace the piece in an easy half day.

Jim Goepel

Dec 5, 2014, 10:03:26 PM12/5/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thanks!!!

VanquishCC

Dec 24, 2014, 10:54:18 AM12/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Just finished up priming, painting and re-glassing my deck hatches.  What a job removing all the adhesive and sanding them up.  Came out really nice though.  I used 1/4" clear acrylic(lexan) because I had a ton of extra lying around from a paying job.  The new interior will have shades built into the headliner for the deck hatches anyways, and the wife wanted more natural light.  I figure if I ever want to tint them I can get some of that acrylic-safe tint and darken them up a bit. She made me put my boat parts away for the Christmas party but I was able to snap a pic of this one before-hand.
20141224_104650 - Copy.jpg

Tim Kemerley

Dec 24, 2014, 10:58:11 AM12/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
What was your process for removing the old adhesive/sealer?
Thanks
Tim

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:54, "'VanquishCC' via Allmand" <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Just finished up priming, painting and re-glassing my deck hatches.  What a job removing all the adhesive and sanding them up.  Came out really nice though.  I used 1/4" clear acrylic(lexan) because I had a ton of extra lying around from a paying job.  The new interior will have shades built into the headliner for the deck hatches anyways, and the wife wanted more natural light.  I figure if I ever want to tint them I can get some of that acrylic-safe tint and darken them up a bit. She made me put my boat parts away for the Christmas party but I was able to snap a pic of this one before-hand.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
<20141224_104650 - Copy.jpg>
Message has been deleted

VanquishCC

Dec 24, 2014, 11:00:59 AM12/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
 JAB31179M83L.  am I hull number 179?  google groups is messing up.  I have tried posting this three times.  lol

VanquishCC

Dec 24, 2014, 1:11:41 PM12/24/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I chiseled/scraped as much of it off as I could.  The adhesive for the gasket was the hardest.  Then I took my grinder with a heavy wire wheel(the kind that has the wire tied in knots to really beat the adhesive off) and cleaned as much off as I could with that.  then some 80 grit sandpaper to get the final bits/residue off.  Wasn't too bad to do, just time consuming.  I probably have 10 hours into cleaning/sanding, priming, painting and installing new glass on three hatches.  Not too bad considering the $500 per hatch price tag for new hatches.  The whole project cost me less than $50.

Gene Exley

Dec 24, 2014, 4:48:33 PM12/24/14
to <allmand@googlegroups.com>
Great job on the hatch. Got any pictures of the head liner?

Gene Exley
Nortech Systems

On Dec 24, 2014, at 9:54 AM, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Just finished up priming, painting and re-glassing my deck hatches.  What a job removing all the adhesive and sanding them up.  Came out really nice though.  I used 1/4" clear acrylic(lexan) because I had a ton of extra lying around from a paying job.  The new interior will have shades built into the headliner for the deck hatches anyways, and the wife wanted more natural light.  I figure if I ever want to tint them I can get some of that acrylic-safe tint and darken them up a bit. She made me put my boat parts away for the Christmas party but I was able to snap a pic of this one before-hand.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.
<20141224_104650 - Copy.jpg>

VanquishCC

Dec 25, 2014, 3:15:21 PM12/25/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
No pics of the headliner other than what you can see in first photos I posted. I have all the headliner removed. Next time I will grab a better pic of it.

Sam Scudder

Dec 26, 2014, 8:12:55 AM12/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Yes, out of about 220 31s built.

Sam Scudder

On Dec 24, 2014, at 11:00 AM, 'VanquishCC' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 JAB31179M83L.  am I hull number 179?  google groups is messing up.  I have tried posting this three times.  lol

ISAILLI

Jan 13, 2015, 11:20:00 AM1/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sam are you sure about 220 31's mine is #331 i think s/v snowbird

Sam Scudder

Jan 19, 2015, 8:16:30 PM1/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Not positifve, but I have never heard of an Allmand 31 hull # in the 300s.  I think some one on this list has the last boat made, but I am not sure of that boat's hull number.

Sam

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM, 'ISAILLI' via Allmand <all...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Sam are you sure about 220 31's mine is #331 i think s/v snowbird

kei...@comcast.net

Jan 19, 2015, 10:46:42 PM1/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

The Allmand Owner list shows Summer Wind II, hull 222, made in 1985. I don't think they made many, if any, after that hull number and I think 1985 was the last year for 31's. That would almost guarantee no hull numbers anywhere near 300.
Hope this post finds you well.
My re-powering for Camelot the Allmand is on hold until June. Camelot the Saga is heading to the Bahamas in a little over a week.
Take Care,
Keith and Rose

Jan 20, 2015, 8:26:37 AM1/20/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sam,
I might come through on my way up in late May, early June.
Last year I went from Ft Pierce straight to Hampton Va offshore. The route I took was 740 miles in 75 hours, alone.
Not sure if I am up to that again this year.
Keith

Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:38:24 AM

Sam Scudder

Jan 20, 2015, 8:18:20 PM1/20/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Ok Keith. Let me know if you ever need offshore crew, I will be glad to help out.

Sam

Sam Scudder

ISAILLI

Feb 4, 2015, 12:41:57 PM2/4/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I got dyslexia of my memory I have hull #133 a 82 not 331 oops.

Dave_E

Mar 27, 2015, 2:59:30 PM3/27/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
If your talking about that original Allmand user group, it's no longer functional. I have hull #15 by the way. Mine is built like a tank. I wonder if Allmand slimmed things down after they got going?

Dave

Red Bull

Aug 31, 2016, 6:49:10 PM8/31/16
to Allmand
TNT, do you have some pics of your finished interior? I would love to see them!

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 8:18:50 PM UTC-5, VanquishCC wrote:
Just picked up an 1983 31 tri-cabin. She was just about on her way to the scrap yard when we grabbed her up. She is a real mess inside. Everything had been leaking and after a couple years of neglect the interior is completely shot. We spent the last 3 days completely removing the entire interior. Pulled the engine today. Tomorrow I will start pulling hatches and ports to re-bed them and get this classic weather-tight.  Over the next 4 months we will rebuild her to her glory. If anybody is interested in following the process I will post pics and updates periodically.

TNT

Mike H

Oct 25, 2018, 8:06:57 AM10/25/18
to Allmand
Any photos yet. it's been a while.are you finished?

VanquishCC

Nov 12, 2018, 10:04:16 PM11/12/18
to Allmand
Hello.  Yes she is finished.  Well as finished as a boat ever is.  Always something to do.  I will try to dig up some pictures that does it justice.  We just completed our third season on her after the redo.

Mike H

Nov 13, 2018, 7:03:15 AM11/13/18
to all...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to photos. Interested to know about waste and electircal system changes if any. I have that little 9 gallon holding tank. Whereis your home port?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Mike H

Jan 10, 2019, 10:15:35 AM1/10/19
to Allmand
Eager no desperate to see your progress.

Mike H

Jan 10, 2019, 10:17:10 AM1/10/19
to Allmand
Why did you pass on the headliner. Is there a suitable replacement on aftermarket ?

Mike H

Jan 10, 2019, 10:40:27 AM1/10/19
to Allmand
Do you have a wiring diagram now that you can see all of it ? Will you make the head/shower larger or change location? Envy you because when you are done you will have a 20xx new Allmand that really has no equal today as a tri cabin comfort cruiser/liveaboard.