Allmand 31 boom height above cockpit floor

sailor38

Jun 18, 2015, 5:45:16 PM6/18/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
We're working on new bimini/dodger design and won't have sails up for a few months (doing work on boat).  Anyone have the dimension from rear of boom to cockpit floor with main sail fully flattened?  It will help us in the design process.  Thanks.
Bill

sailor38

Jun 18, 2015, 5:55:39 PM6/18/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I should have said "dimensions from the bottom rear of boom.  Looking for max height of bimini/dodger when sailing.

Sam Scudder

Jun 18, 2015, 10:42:25 PM6/18/15
to all...@googlegroups.com

Remember that you can raise the boom up by moving the gooseneck up .  You should have about 5 inches of play if you need it by moving the fitting up on the mast at the gooseneck. This is what I did to gain headroom when I put on my hard top.

Sam Scudder

On Jun 18, 2015 5:45 PM, "sailor38" <avem...@earthlink.net> wrote:
We're working on new bimini/dodger design and won't have sails up for a few months (doing work on boat).  Anyone have the dimension from rear of boom to cockpit floor with main sail fully flattened?  It will help us in the design process.  Thanks.
Bill

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

kei...@comcast.net

Jun 19, 2015, 8:20:57 AM6/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

In addition to Sam's very good suggestion I have also had the foot of the mainsail slightly re-cut to raise the clew enough to provide the necessary clearance. As long as you are not a hard core racer you will not notice any change in performance. It is more important to have the Bimini adequately high enough to get good visibility and comfortable walking around room for the Captain and crew.

I also find the area above the bimini an ideal place to thru bolt solar panels as long as you can live with the bimini being up permanently. I use small starboard spacers to raise the panels above the canvas by an inch or so to promote good airflow under the panels.

So I guess I am suggesting to build a proper Bimini and adjust the gooseneck and clew height to provide enough clearance, even when going upwind and the main is sheeted down hard.

Good Luck

Keith on Camelot