Icebox upgrade

mini...@earthlink.net

Jun 8, 2014, 8:55:19 AM6/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I want to add a refregeration unit to the Allmand 31. Any ideas, recomendations or advise. Capt. Bob.

Chris Windeler

Jun 8, 2014, 12:49:22 PM6/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I had a Adler Barber Cold Machine in my Allmand 31. Installed in 1982 and still working when I lost the boat to Sandy in 2012. It was a 12 volt system with the evaporator in the existing ice box and the compressor in the starboard locker right next to the fuel tank. To install one you need to cut a hole in the current ice box big enough to pass the refrigerant coupling through. You plug the balance of the hole with insulation or plumbers putty.
Because the current draw is around 5 amps I only ran when at the dock or when the engine was operating.
Chris

On Jun 8, 2014, at 8:55 AM, mini...@earthlink.net wrote:

I want to add a refregeration unit to the Allmand 31. Any ideas, recomendations or advise. Capt. Bob.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

David Smith

Jun 8, 2014, 4:32:41 PM6/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Chris look into the isotherm cold plate. It has a heat exchange that uses water. You change the you galley sink drain thru hull. and hook on the isotherm it also  a a sink drain. it has a very small Dan Foss compressor that mounts on the wall under your sink. Very low amp draw. Its a little pricee but work all of it. It does not have an evaporator and give zero noise. Get you ice box very cold you can also freeze.

Chris Windeler

Jun 8, 2014, 5:48:09 PM6/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Having a water cooled condenser is a real plus over an air cooled condenser (down in the hold near the motor where it gets hot). It has to have a evaporator somewhere and it does. It is the cold plate. You need both to run the cycle.

Lee

Jun 9, 2014, 2:06:07 PM6/9/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

I installed a Frigoboat unit that has loop that uses a thru hull plate that cools the refrigerant.  Low draw, has an option to get e multi speed controller (energy efficient) that only uses the compressor draw as demand requires.

http://coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.php/refrigeration/frigoboat.html