Autopilot

Mad Viking

Apr 12, 2015, 9:11:31 PM4/12/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Just bought a new Raymarine wheel autopilot. The pin that attaches to the backside of the wheel is designed for a pedestal mount. Allmands require a bulked mount. Raymarine and West Marine will not swap out the pin which is just a metal disk with a pin welded in the center. They will sell you one for $45.00. I am so disgusted with both of them that I would rather pay a local welder 45 to fabricate one. You would think after spending the money for a new pilot that they would swap out a  mounting pin to keep a customer.

Bill Cornpropst

Apr 13, 2015, 7:39:30 AM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Did you consult a Raymarine Dealer before you bought the unit? A dealer would have been able to splain this before you made the purchase. In any case, I believe that the bulkhead mount is an option and I don't think you can order a wheel drive with that mount. All the information I could find, says that the drive is designed for pedestal mount as the majority of installations are pedestal mount. Sorry you have the problem.
Bill

On 4/12/15 9:11 PM, Mad Viking wrote:
Just bought a new Raymarine wheel autopilot. The pin that attaches to the backside of the wheel is designed for a pedestal mount. Allmands require a bulked mount. Raymarine and West Marine will not swap out the pin which is just a metal disk with a pin welded in the center. They will sell you one for $45.00. I am so disgusted with both of them that I would rather pay a local welder 45 to fabricate one. You would think after spending the money for a new pilot that they would swap out a  mounting pin to keep a customer.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Chris Windeler

Apr 13, 2015, 9:15:10 AM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I mounted a Raymarine wheel autopilot on Sea Wind my 31' Allmand. I mounted a small block of AL on the bulkhead behind the wheel with a hole drilled in it for the 3/8" dia. pin that goes into the wheel autopilot. Worked fine.
Chris

Bill Cornpropst

Apr 13, 2015, 11:43:36 AM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Good point Chris. He could cut the alum pin off the curved bracket, drill & tap it, and mount it to a flat piece of alum....Bill

EDDIE...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2015, 11:55:46 AM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I installed a bolt between the wheel and the table support to stabilize the autopilot. It has worked well for 12 years.  Ed Smith "Allmand Joy" NPR, FL

Charlie

Apr 13, 2015, 5:52:28 PM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
What model is the auto pilot? I have an ST4000+ on mine mounted to the case. I'd have to go to the club to check on how it is mounted. I can do that if it would help, just take me a couple of days

Charlie

Mad Viking

Apr 13, 2015, 9:06:12 PM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
There seems to be more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks for your ideas. Whatever I do will look right and do the job.

Jim

Apr 13, 2015, 9:48:44 PM4/13/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
I think I remember you saying you were have problems with your old autopilot coming back from the Bahamas. Were you not able to fix the older unit so that is way you purchased a new one?

Jim
The Margie-Paul
Now in Punta Gorda.

Sent from my iPhone

Mad Viking

Apr 14, 2015, 8:49:38 PM4/14/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Ya had to get a new pilot. Looking forward to using the new one once I decide on this pin fiasco. The new st4000 looks pretty straight forward with the installation.