water pump

jeff...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 11:42:48 AM4/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Water pump question for my 1984 31'..... I pulled the water pump off my Universal m25 xpa as it was dripping/leaking from the internal seal (not impellor issue).  Was looking to replace the pump which is a sherwood.  The local yard has a replacement sherwood for @$350 and a oberdorfer pump that they say is compatible for @$270.  I tried to find a like pump from Kubota, but no one at kubota could let me know specific pump part number would fit my engine.  Anyone have any recommendations concerning a replacement pump?

I didn't want a rebuild as it would have been close to $200 and the current pump is pretty rough anyway.....

Thanks in advance and love the site!

Jeff

Lipham

Apr 8, 2014, 12:29:16 PM4/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I just replaced mine, $375.

Sent from my iPad

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Chris Windeler

Apr 8, 2014, 1:09:43 PM4/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
It it is an Oberdorfer pump it has lip seals on both sides of the grease fitting. They are replaceable. If you can not do it any engine shop should be able to.
Chris

jeff7...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 1:27:12 PM4/8/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Chris....do you have an oberdorfer pump on your boat?  In looking at the diagram,,,,I'm not sure if the grease cup fitting that comes out of the side of the pump would interfere/rub against the belt?  As I recall the pump is pretty close and I don't remember how much clearance there was with the belt.....

Thanks,
Jeff

jeff...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2014, 2:14:12 PM4/13/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Update,,,,,,Water pump replaced with no major issues.  Swapped an oberdorfer ($275) for my sherwood…easy project.  Don't forget a new gasket (between the pump and engine) and you can't re-use the elbow's coming from the sherwood for the oberdorfer (not included) as the oberdorfer has a smaller diameter whole.  Things the parts department assured me wouldn't be the case….

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions and off to the next project.