The latest on Allmand 35 "Phosphorus"

Gary Sharpe

Apr 17, 2014, 5:42:09 PM4/17/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

Hi Folks,

It's Spring in New England, and Phosphorus' winter shrinkwrap is coming off. She's in fine shape for inspections and a professional survey, just over the Bourne canal bridge on Cape Cod.

A few months ago I posted that I've
regrettably had to put Phosphorus on the market, after 15 years at sea together. Please read that post again (copied below), or refer it to a friend who may be looking for the best Allmand 35 available (perhaps someone wanting to upgrade to a higher performance boat with heavier-duty offshore seaworthiness).

Also, take a look at Phosphorus' detailed illustrated description on Yachtworld.com -- it includes all features, inventory, upgrades and restorations, as well as photos of Phosphorus below-deck and underway offshore.
See:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Allmand-Tri-cabin-35-2628971/Bourne/MA/United-States#.UoeoWeJr1K4

Some more things to think about:

  • To provide more detailed information, I have collected a number of notes and posts that I contributed to the forum from 2000 to about 2007. These are now combined in a single 30 page booklet that I can make available, describing in detail the many restoration, maintenance and  upgrade projects I have carried out on Phosphorus. Included also are observations about her performance, design, and sea-keeping qualities. E-mail me at gsharpemex@gmail.com with your email address and I'll send you a copy.
  • One more thing. I have made a video walk-through aboard Phosphorus to be posted in a day or two on Vimeo for viewing. Once again, email me at gshar...@gmail.com and I'll give you a password and tell you how to find it.
  • Finally, as a special incentive between now and August 31, I will pay to a buyer the total cost of materials, up to $2,000, to purchase a brand new roller furling system for Phosphorus' main headstay.

Please email me (gshar...@gmail.com) with any questions you have after reviewing this material. Or call me anytime at 781-583-1722 (this is a Boston number, but it rings at my home in Mexico without a toll charge). I'll be back on Cape Cod end of May through September at this same number.

And best of all, to schedule a personal introduction to the lovely Phosphorus, be sure to contact her current care-giver, Art Olive, at (Toll-free) 888-659-1287.

Or (508) 360-4691. Or email him at Littlebay...@gmail.com

Best regards, (and don't forget to tell a friend . . .)

Gary

Gary Sharpe
Paseo de las Canoas #55
Fracc. La Floresta
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
CP 45922

With great sadness I am parting with my magnificent Allmand 35, Phosphorus. I have owned and sailed her every summer for 14 years offshore, and up and down the New England coast. In almost 50 years, I've never missed a summer at sea, and Phosphorus is only the second boat I've owned in that time.

I have had to make a tough choice between two wonderful options. Seven years ago, Linda and I bought a lovely old house in the mountains of Southwestern Mexico. Since then we have returned each summer to New England, sailing  Cape Cod and Maine waters. But now, at 75, the burden of maintenance, launching and winterizing is taking too much time out of our 4 month stay up north. I now launch too late and have to haul too early. Besides, our family and growing grandchildren take priority now.

Each spring and fall, during the first 10 years of ownership was spent restoring Phosphorus to a high standard of seaworthiness, detail, and comfort. I consider her to be far better than "factory-new", due to extensive upgrades and renewal to her hull, accommodations, engine systems, and rigging. I reckon I have put well over $15,000 into her during this time (I mean only materials and equipment, not including the equivalent cost of my time and labor).

Going below in Phosphorus, guests have said she feels and looks like a newly-built vessel.

The boat is on stands and about to be shrink-wrapped for the winter (with an entrance for visitors), at Art Olive's Little Bay Boatworks on Cape Cod. As I am in Mexico, please contact him to see the boat.

A full description, together with an accounting of work done, upgrades, and renewals can be found, with photographs at the following link:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Allmand-Tri-cabin-35-2628971/Bourne/MA/United-States#.UoeoWeJr1K4

Sam Scudder

Apr 17, 2014, 10:00:15 PM4/17/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Gary,

Nice boat.  The cutter rig and dorade vents are nice touches.  A lot of love went into this boat.

Sam Scudder

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.