Compression post

Andrew s/v Hafwen

Mar 28, 2015, 9:29:58 PM3/28/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hey Folks!

Has anyone removed the compression post in a 31? I'm rebuilding the mast step on Hafwen and need to get it out of the way. If anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Andrew
S/V Hafwen
31' #167

d.a.v.e

Mar 29, 2015, 4:32:54 PM3/29/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
When we redid ours we did not take it out.  I cut the layer of fiberglass on the top deck and pulled all the rotted wood out, replaced it, glued it all up and painted around the cut.  You can hardly tell its there.

JAMES DONAVAN

Mar 29, 2015, 8:14:33 PM3/29/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Andrew can you post some photos of your work I need to do mine . I am thinking of using aluminum instead of wood between the glass .the method dave used is the best to go in from the top. the post can not be  removed with out taking out the flooring or straight up for 4 or 5 inches .  jim s/v eternity 31

Andrew s/v Hafwen

Mar 30, 2015, 7:03:11 PM3/30/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James. I hadn't thought about the amount of travel needed once the post is loose to remove it. Guess I'll be working around it. I'll be laminating fiberglass the full thickness and will not be putting in any sort of "coring" material. I am shooting video to make a little film of it. I'll post here when I get the video done and up to YouTube. I'll see about getting you some stills too.

Andrew
S/V Hafwen
31' #167

JAMES DONAVAN

Mar 31, 2015, 2:58:21 PM3/31/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
hey good for you Andrew ..I was wondering about putting the aluminum plate in mine because of the expansion /contraction of the metal when the cabin top is in the sun . . the glass will expand and contract the same as the cabin top .and obviously can handle the load because mine is smashed flat against the post now and it has deformed the glass but not cracked it YET.... thanks for documenting your work . looking forward to seeing your progress.  fair winds,  jim

kei...@comcast.net

Mar 31, 2015, 3:33:15 PM3/31/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

In the for what it is worth category I replaced the inch and a half plywood core in my mast step with a one inch plate of aluminum about 9 inches square along with a half inch of plywood above it in 1992. There was no noticeable expansion problem over the 20 plus years since. On the other hand I failed to properly seal that half inch of plywood like I should have resulting in some compression. I am going to open it up early this summer while the mast is still off and replace the plywood with more aluminum. Probably should have done that 20 years ago.
I prefer aluminum because of the point loading the mast represents. I am not saying solid glass can't handle that point loading, just that I know the aluminum can.
Good Luck,
Keith on Camelot, hull 50

Apr 3, 2015, 3:35:21 PM4/3/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I did something similar, with alum. plate, plus a casting.
Ted B.
s/v Kadiddle