How much line is needed for the main sail

d.a.v.e

May 29, 2014, 9:47:51 AM5/29/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Looking at my boat this spring it appears its time to replace some of the running rigging.  One of the lines I need is the one that pulls my main sail up.  I've got a short rig and it runs back to the cockpit.  Thinking I need around a 100ft but thought I'd ask here if anyone had a better suggestion on how to measure the amount I need or had recently replaced theirs to know the right length?

Also curious what diameter rope folks are using as I suspect most the lines on my boat are thicker then needed.

Donald Saxton

May 30, 2014, 7:59:16 AM5/30/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

I have the taller mast on my boat (Odyssey).  I am using 7\16" double braided line.  It is also rigged to the cockpit.  If I were to replace the halyard it would require a line 80' in length.  More than that would be excessive and would clutter up the cockpit when under way.

Don.   ~~___/)~~~  ;7).

On May 29, 2014 9:47 AM, "d.a.v.e" <iamd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking at my boat this spring it appears its time to replace some of the running rigging.  One of the lines I need is the one that pulls my main sail up.  I've got a short rig and it runs back to the cockpit.  Thinking I need around a 100ft but thought I'd ask here if anyone had a better suggestion on how to measure the amount I need or had recently replaced theirs to know the right length?

Also curious what diameter rope folks are using as I suspect most the lines on my boat are thicker then needed.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

kei...@comcast.net

May 30, 2014, 11:56:30 PM5/30/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
I have a tall rig that I have further increased by 4.5 feet. My hoist is 40 feet. Working backwards would yield a hoist for a standard rig of just under 34 feet. Double that, add 3 feet from the boom to the deck and then about 10 feet depending on the route back to the forward end of the cockpit yields 81 feet with no room for error. I would round up to 90 feet to be safe.
Hope this helps,
Keith on Camelot

Jun 1, 2014, 12:00:46 PM6/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
This is for Keith. You added 4.5 ft to your mast?. You are aware that you have changed the center of effort, likely the righting moment and a couple of the ratios I hope. You have made a rpretty stiff boat now pretty tender. Did you contact a NA to inquire what the change will do to the stability? Hope you carry a good supply of PFDs, you may need them.

Charlie

kei...@comcast.net

Jun 1, 2014, 12:46:21 PM6/1/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,
With all due respect you are a little off base. Though there is certainly some truth in your comments, there is plenty of room for independent thinking with boat modifications before the often lame responses of a NA are prudent. As a professional Boat Dealer I have worked in the boat modification arena with such notable NA's as Bob Perry on both hull and keel changes though not on the particular project you speak of.
My PFD supply remains the same as before. In fact I have made two round trips offshore from New England to the Bahamas and back, mostly in heavy conditions (including one short stint in 100 MPH gusts that literally blew the masthead plate holding my wind instrument transducer and anchor light clean off the mast) safely. I have over 15,000 miles on my Allmand prior to putting 44,000 miles on my Saga 43. The Allmand is currently in storage.
The facts of the change are I went to a double spreader Hall spar whose lighter wall thickness minimized any additional weight aloft.
Secondly I had the mainsail built with deeper reef points in it so by the time I was double reefed I carried the same sail area as my original tall mast.
Thirdly I had the new main made with flatter sections that reduced healing moment.
The result exceeded all my expectations actually allowing Camelot to sail flatter and faster in lighter airs with no loss in heavy air performance.
Not to inflame your views but I failed to mention I also cut the stern off my 31 and added 3 feet overall (4 feet of waterline) with a scoop transom as well as adding a Shannon bowsprit to the bow to reduce sail induced weather helm caused by too little center of effort forward. All this was done several years before the mast height increase.
I do appreciate your caution but it is misplaced in this instance.
By the way the last word I would ever use for our Allmands is stiff. I would describe it as initially very tender and only stiffening up once those flat midsections are in the water and generating hull form stability. At that point they become so stiff that failure to reduce sail in increasing winds causes a hull generated weather helm.
I hope you find this information helpful and in the enlightened spirit with which it is offered.
Keith on Camelot