New compass

Feb 6, 2015, 3:44:00 PM2/6/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Installing a new Ritchie compass on my wheel pedistal. I have never adjusted or calabrated one before. Does anyone have any  sage advise on what need to do to make it work correctly?

Thanks,
Jim in Florida

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

ktut...@mindspring.com

Feb 6, 2015, 3:49:57 PM2/6/15
to all...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

If you have a reliable GPS, it can certainly give you an accurate compass heading. there are also websites that will address this question. Good Luck

Karl

S/V Dancer

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Chris Windeler

Feb 6, 2015, 4:10:38 PM2/6/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
You can not use your GPS to calibrate your compass. The GPS only works when you are moving and there is a delay. The best way is to line up objects on the chart and compare the correct angle on the chart with your compass reading. Don't forget variation and deviation.
Better yet take a United States Power Squadron Course.
Chris

Harry Jansen

Feb 6, 2015, 4:11:02 PM2/6/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
We use to walk the fingers and check out all the boats headed in the same direction. Adjust accordingly

Chris Windeler

Feb 21, 2015, 2:57:21 PM2/21/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
This is available from the United States Power Squadrons
Chris

01-88-104 Mariner's Compass Guide   View Item $ 6.00 C
        This guide explains how to select, install, calibrate and use your compass on board your boat. This is an essential guide for all boaters. This stand alone guide is also an included component of the Mariner's Compass Seminar Kit

Jim Goepel

Feb 21, 2015, 3:34:51 PM2/21/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I am moving soon and will need to buy a mattress for my temporary apartment. I'd like to be able to reuse the mattress, and am considering buying one to cut down and use in the V-berth or the aft berth. Does anyone have the dimensions for those areas? Unfortunately I couldn't bring home the cushions from either of those areas this season, and the boat is 2 hours away. Just really trying to make sure a queen size could be cut down to fit.

Thanks in advance!

- Jim

Lipham

Feb 21, 2015, 3:58:42 PM2/21/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Jim

I added a foam topper to my QB. I used a Full topper and trimmed it to fit. An electric carving knife cuts it like butter.

Richard

Sent from my iPad

Lee and Cathy Coulter

Feb 22, 2015, 2:01:10 PM2/22/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I have a 35 and I think the forward cabin birth measured 78 or 80 inches across the top ( from starboard corner to port corner).  So to keep from having to cut and glue foam (which can be done), I bought a King 6" foam mattress.  I have a Sailrite sewing machine, and it was a big job, but it turned out real nice and with the mattress cover that came on the mattress and the cover I made for it, it made sleeping on the boat a much better experience.

Jim Goepel

Feb 22, 2015, 2:34:41 PM2/22/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!