fixed window seal on Allmand 31

kei...@comcast.net

Nov 16, 2015, 5:13:21 PM11/16/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I have been deep in bringing Camelot out of her mostly storage for the last 17 years and have run into a minor dead end that I am hoping someone can help me with. The 2 large fixed windows on each side of the early 31's are held in the outer frame by some kind of rubber strip that is cut to size and pressed into each of the 4 outer sides to keep the Acrylic windows sealed in their frames. Mine are still working but the windows themselves are not as clear as I would like them. Select Plastics in Norwalk, CT specialize in plastic window replacement but he tells me he doesn't have a source for the rubber retainers. Has anyone replaced those windows and found a source for the rubber strips? If not, how did you reseal the windows to the outer frame and are you happy with the result?

It looks like I am also going to have to replace my leaky overhead hatches by next Spring. Bomar has a newer version of the Gray plastic hatches but it looks like there is only a hundred dollar difference per hatch at current discounted prices to upgrade to Low Profile Lewmar Ocean series hatches with anodized aluminum frames. Seems like the upgrade would be worth it. I have them on my Saga and they have worked well.

Finally for those of you with the 31 who are tired of the low wheel, I am building a plywood mold to build a fiberglass replacement that includes a pedestal tower roughly one foot high where the compass resides. It also doesn't taper in as quickly as the stock ones do so it can accommodate two 10 lb propane tanks internally in a sealed and vented overboard compartment. When I finish the mold I will take some pictures of it in case any of you other do-it-yourselfers need another project. The plan is to raise the centerline of the wheel from its current 20 inches to either 31 or 32 inches.

I got the idea from a 31 purchased this year by Bill and Lillie Taylor that used to be called Unicorn that someone had put a very custom aluminum wheel tower and table on.

Thanks,
Keith on Camelot, Allmand 34 (31 # 50)