Holding Tank Location and Size

Jim Goepel

Mar 26, 2014, 12:05:06 AM3/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

I’ve been redoing the holding tank plumbing on Dragon Wing, and I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see that we only have a 9 gallon tank.  Granted, since we’re largely day sailors, a 9 gallon tank will be fine for us.  But I have dreams of getting out for weekends with the four of us aboard, and when that happens 9 gallons simply won’t cut it.  So, to those who have replaced their holding tanks, what did you use?  It seems that the 9 gallon Todd tank is about the only thing that fits in the settee that backs onto the head area.  Did you use an angled tank against the hull instead?  Or did you find another solution?

Any feedback is appreciated!

-          Jim

S/V Dragon Wing

http://dragonwingsailboat.wordpress.com

Sherry

Mar 26, 2014, 9:49:06 AM3/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
When I replaced my holding tank I used Ronco Plastics.  They are very good.  I gave them my space requirements and they made it per spec with angles to fit.

http://ronco-plastics.net/

Sherry Raintree
S/v Goldilocks
Allmand 35

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Jim

Mar 26, 2014, 2:36:06 PM3/26/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,
I also used Ronco for my new holding tank. It's under the port settee and I believe it's approximately 19 gals.

Jim F.
The Margie-Paul
31 Allmand

Sent from my iPhone

Lee

Mar 27, 2014, 1:21:39 PM3/27/14
to all...@googlegroups.com

My tank is a 30 gal I believe, and when we had the 3 kids with us we were lucky to make a three day weekend.

The picture included is from Hank Greens replacement.

--

DSC2_sm.jpg

Hank

Mar 29, 2014, 3:01:17 PM3/29/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I think if you have the room you should look into a composting head and removing all the smelly hoses and tank. I installed one on my trawler and it works great.

Hank Green

Chris Windeler

Mar 29, 2014, 3:09:50 PM3/29/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
What brand did you select and why?
Chris

Jim Goepel

Mar 30, 2014, 12:51:36 AM3/30/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
I've thought about it, Frank. But I have some reservations both because of the cost and because we don't use Dragon Wing that often (every other weekend or so). I am afraid it will be worse than if we just keep the tank essentially empty as much as possible.

Hank

Mar 30, 2014, 5:09:02 PM3/30/14
to all...@googlegroups.com
Our holding tank was under the berth and it smelled, so the Capt said get it out of there.

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:05:06 AM UTC-4, JimGo wrote:
DSCN1669.jpg

Mike H

Oct 25, 2018, 8:53:13 AM10/25/18
to Allmand
What is under the port settee ? I will be doing cabin renovation and addressing the 9 gal Tdd holding tank. Have found using the camping potty bag system meantime.

sailor38

Oct 25, 2018, 5:30:16 PM10/25/18
to Allmand
I put in a 13 gal tank where drawers were (inboard aft port settee).  Somewhat difficult with plumbing but it works well and I can see contents level easily.

Ehornick Hornick

Oct 25, 2018, 7:51:22 PM10/25/18
to Unknown
Mike
We had a 9 or 10 gln holding tank under port settee on our 35 and replaced with a plastic 35gln w angled bottom against hull. Used some neoprene cushion pads glued in place. Had to cut seat base out w a jigsaw to fit it in. Just screwed some 1x2 pine under and around perimeter of the cut out and dropped it (seat base) back in place and also screwed it to the 1x2. Works great.
Eddie Hornick
Traveller

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018, 8:53 AM Mike H <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is under the port settee ? I will be doing cabin renovation and addressing  the 9 gal Tdd holding tank. Have found using the camping potty bag system meantime.

Mike H

May 17, 2019, 10:21:31 AM5/17/19
to Allmand
could you send a photo of your set up? And did you remove the old 9 gallon? And is the new holding tank working well ?

Mike H

May 17, 2019, 10:25:51 AM5/17/19
to Allmand
Hi Jim. My Florida time this winter was limited so I did not keep our spot at Fisherman's. But can you sometime share a photo of your repalcement holding tank. 9 gallons is risky. do you have macerator?