Better insulation for ice/refrig boxe??

EDDIE...@aol.com

Jan 29, 2015, 2:40:16 PM1/29/15
to All...@googlegroups.com, all...@list.sailnet.net
My biggest battery drain is my refrigeration system. It doesn't seem that there is any insulation around the ice box and it is right next to the engine. We would like to insulate the refrig . Has anyone had any success with this project?  Ed and Louise Smith "Allmand Joy" NPR, FL

tutt

Mar 19, 2015, 7:42:21 PM3/19/15
to all...@googlegroups.com, All...@googlegroups.com, all...@list.sailnet.net
Eddie,

I insulated my ice box from the inside. At Home Depot I bought the insulation with the highest R factor available. It has a foil surface on one side. Then I cut it with a razor knife to fit the surfaces in the box. I secured it with Aluminum Tape to the sides of the box and covered the seams with more tape. It improved the holding capabilities immensely. The size of the box was not affected substantially. This is the second time I have done this project on a boat and it worked extremely well in both cases.

Cheap and effective, and not overly time consuming,

Karl
S/V Dancer
1982 Allmand 31
Fort Pierce, FL

Jim

Mar 29, 2015, 6:48:38 PM3/29/15
to all...@googlegroups.com

Eddie,
For comparison how long does a 10lb bag of ice stay frozen with the new insulation?

Thanks
Jim
Margie - Paul 31- 81 now in Punta Gorda, FL.

Sent from my iPhone

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

EDDIE...@aol.com

Mar 30, 2015, 1:44:15 PM3/30/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
I'll try that next week and let you know. Ed

Jim

Mar 31, 2015, 9:59:43 PM3/31/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed. I have been looking at Yeti coolers and they say ice lasts a week in their coolers. It would be interesting to know if we could recreate that efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Windeler

Mar 31, 2015, 10:05:37 PM3/31/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
On a different note, I always cleaned and filled empty juice, soda, or box wine bags with water and froze at home. I used the containers as block ice. When it melts there is no water in the ice box. Also you can drink it when melted.
Chris

EDDIE...@aol.com

Apr 1, 2015, 12:22:43 AM4/1/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Good ideas. We do the same. Ed

EDDIE...@aol.com

Apr 1, 2015, 12:25:24 AM4/1/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
We have had ice last a week in our cooler from Sam's Club and it cost  1/5 the price of Yetis. Ed

Jim

Apr 1, 2015, 6:16:45 AM4/1/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
That is a good idea. I'll try it next time.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Burkett

Apr 1, 2015, 7:05:56 AM4/1/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Eddie,

What brand of cooler did you have from Sam's?

Tom

EDDIE...@aol.com

Apr 1, 2015, 11:21:56 PM4/1/15
to all...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I'm at the Grand Canyon right now but I'll be home in a few days. I'll check and let you know. Ed

Mike H

Oct 25, 2018, 8:25:35 AM10/25/18
to Allmand
Original specs states 3" of insulation which is usual refrig mfg recimmendation though more is always preferred. I'm investing in replacing the AdlerBarbour with higher effciency unit.

Lee and Cathy Coulter

Oct 26, 2018, 8:46:50 AM10/26/18
to Allmand
I did the same things, plus I caulked the insulation to be air-tight; then, to keep the insulation dry, I lined it with FRP board (from Home Depot) sealed with epoxy. It worked great, was easy to clean, and was watertight. I also installed a Nautic Cool Blue unit and a divider like they suggest so that I had a freezer and seperate fridge