Best access to aft end of engine and shaft seal

sailor38

Aug 14, 2016, 2:57:37 PM8/14/16
to Allmand
Just looking at getting into rear of engine to do some work and check on stuffing gland.  The fuel tank is further aft in the center and on port side is the bulkhead under the cockpit separating the aft cabin from the engine.  On starboard side there is a diagonal plywood panel preventing access.  Climbing over the engine seems like a tough option considering that it is now a Yanmar 30.  Maybe I need to remove the plywood panel and try to wedge myself between the aft end of the galley and fuel tank to get there.   Thanks for any tips.

James Goepel

Aug 15, 2016, 11:37:03 AM8/15/16
to all...@googlegroups.com
 I did/do it leaning over the engine.  Be sure to put some old towels and then a cushion on top.  That will keep you from getting bruises on your chest.

On Aug 14, 2016, at 2:57 PM, sailor38 <avem...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Just looking at getting into rear of engine to do some work and check on stuffing gland.  The fuel tank is further aft in the center and on port side is the bulkhead under the cockpit separating the aft cabin from the engine.  On starboard side there is a diagonal plywood panel preventing access.  Climbing over the engine seems like a tough option considering that it is now a Yanmar 30.  Maybe I need to remove the plywood panel and try to wedge myself between the aft end of the galley and fuel tank to get there.   Thanks for any tips.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Harry Jansen

Aug 15, 2016, 11:50:39 AM8/15/16
to all...@googlegroups.com
I was able to get the the rear of my engine by entering through the cockpit starboard seat/locker Total access . The diesel fuel tank is under the aft 3/4 birth. I have posted pictures of when I did a rudder post shelf replacement

Bill Taylor

Aug 15, 2016, 3:37:26 PM8/15/16
to all...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,
Thanks for your comments. I'm curious about your tank under the aft
berth. Mine is directly under the center of the cockpit and prevents
access to engine and shaft from starboard locker. If you have photos of
what you did as well as any other changes you've made, please send me a
link to them. Thanks so much.
Bill Taylor

Harry Jansen

Aug 16, 2016, 1:04:57 AM8/16/16
to all...@googlegroups.com
I have sold the vessel #301 a 1983 31ft. The panel was cut out under the mattress and the tank set in and then the panel was screwed down so it wouldn't come loose. I do know Mistico is in  Lake Texoma in Grand Pappy's marina, Texas.
It left lots of room under the cockpit for a water heater that set under the rudder shelf, yet above the stuffing box and on the side wall of the 3/4 berth was the battery charger and the AC unit was on a shelf just below the electricial panel. I was able to sit in the locker being 6'3" 265 and work on "stuff" including the stuffing box.  I managed to get several pictures of the shelf as it needed replacement due to a leak from the cockpit table and the emergency opening for the tiller. I discovered the rotted shelf that held the upper bushing for the rudder post because the steering cable kept jumping off the steering quadrant.I was looking for the reason for the problem. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

 Skip Hansen

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.

Bill Taylor

Aug 16, 2016, 8:33:36 AM8/16/16
to all...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Skip, for your great information. Maybe I'll have to do something
similar to get good access. Certainly easier with fuel tank out of the
way!

Bill