Zoom videoconferencing

Hatchett, BC

Sep 1, 2017, 11:55:38 AM9/1/17
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We are starting to look at collaboration services and Zoom is on the list for consideration. I was hoping to get some info on the service:

·       How many users are on the service at your institution?

·       Who are the primary users?

·       What does your support model look like for the service?

·       How is Zoom used? (Collaboration, meetings, distance education, job interviews, etc.)

·       Any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance!

BC

BC Hatchett, M.A.Ed. | Manager, AV Design & Support and Media Services | Information Technology | Vanderbilt University
bc.ha...@vanderbilt.edu| phone 615.875.9432
| it.vanderbilt.edu

Benjamin Pinkham

Sep 1, 2017, 1:20:48 PM9/1/17
to av...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brett,

We use it here at Bates College. We have integrated the SSO option and it has been something the Faculty really enjoy using as they don't have another password to remember. It also works in rooms where we already have cameras for CC so faculty have been using it more and more for guest speakers in class. We also use them for every search committee as the scheduling piece is really nice. We currently have over 100 users. We hold 40 Pro accounts and move them around to other users as needed (Hosting a longer meeting with many participants, assigning an Administrative Assistant to be able to schedule meeting on others behalf and the like). Every meeting also has the phone conference option so if somebody was supposed to attend a meeting but can't because of computer issues, they can still participate in the meeting.

We have gotten nothing but rave reviews for users on campus and I can say as the point person, Zoom Support is phenomenal. We were looking for a video conferencing solution replacement for Skype and now we have been able to do so much more. Plus it is very affordable as well. Over all I give Zoom a 10/10.

Best,

Benjamin Pinkham, CTS
A/V Technician l Bates College

Wadlinger, Greg

Sep 1, 2017, 2:23:37 PM9/1/17
to av...@googlegroups.com

Because we are pretty new to Zoom, we only have a couple of users, and our use cases are evolving, so I can’t really speak to those items very well yet.

We are hopeful that our support model will reflect that users become enthusiastically self-sufficient.

(I can hear some laughter in the background as I write this…)

I can say that one of our first users is the admissions department. They put on webinars, and Zoom has a webinar feature. I can’t tell you whether and how much extra this cost.

We also do a little distance learning, both content origination and content reception. These sessions are rarely more than one-offs where we bring in a guest virtually to one particular class or where one of our faculty has a need to be a guest at another venue.

Having experience with Adobe Connect and BlueJeans, as well as with lots of hardware endpoints going back to PictureTel days, I like Zoom the best so far.

One thing Zoom has is the ability to dial out to a SIP or H.323 endpoint. That’s significant, because with BlueJeans you have to convince the other party to point their endpoint at the BlueJeans’ server IP address – something that some of our far end folks do not want to do.

Hope this helps.

Greg Wadlinger

Digital Education/Instructional Technology

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth

Hanover, NH 03755

wadl...@dartmouth.edu

603.646-0228

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Tim O'Neil

Sep 4, 2017, 9:00:22 AM9/4/17
to av...@googlegroups.com
We have a site license for Zoom w/SSO integration, a very popular and successful service offering. It's used for all things you mention, administratively and academically. Zoom's been great as our primary online learning solution and will eventually be our only one.

The success of our Zoom program is being measured against comparative experiences, having previously been a Bluejeans campus for a few years and also running a smaller Adobe Connect deployment.

--
Tim O'Neil, Director for Media and Academic Technology
Brandeis University, Information Technology Services

Elaine M Mello

Sep 5, 2017, 6:53:59 AM9/5/17
to av...@googlegroups.com

Use at MIT tends to be more on a department or school level, but it has definitely become more popular as people find out about it.

My group has an account to allow for the ease of bridging H.323 to desktop conferencing, while some groups on campus have deployed it on a larger basis for distance education and collaboration with other universities.  One of the things I really like is the affordability for smaller groups to use and to ramp up a service on the fly (like the H.323 Room Connector) when they need it and only pay the additional charge for 1 month.  It makes for a flexible service which is easy for people to use.

Our largest distance program has switched over from using the free on-campus Webex specifically for the better quality and flexibility of the service, as Webex can downspeed to the lowest connection (which can be an issue when someone connects their cellphone and you’re originating 1080p from the classroom.)

Elaine

Elaine Mello, CTS

Technical Services Manager

ODL Engineering

MIT Office of Digital Learning

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

77 Massachusetts Avenue - Rm NE49-2000

Cambridge, MA 02139

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The AV-1 Forum" group.

Mark Leonard, DL Studios, UNH

Sep 17, 2017, 12:44:08 PM9/17/17
to The AV-1 Forum
Hey BC--

We just passed our official 1 year site license for Zoom here at UNH (It had been on campus for a couple years before that...) Some quick stats--
  •  2,500+ accounts
  • 100+ webinars
  • 3.5 million meeting minutes
  • a couple Zoom Rooms
  • 99% of support calls go directly to Zoom!

So far...Zoom has been the web collaboration tool we have been waiting for ;>)  -- H.323, phone, smart phone, mac/PC/Linux, all in one call... In fact-- Zoom just raised the limit to 200  remote sites in one call! If you are an Internet2 site-  you should look for reduced pricing through your rep.

Hope this helps-

Thanks

Mark

Mark Leonard
Media and Collaboration Services | UNH Academic Technology

Booker, Vaughn

Sep 18, 2017, 8:11:06 AM9/18/17
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hey Mark,

Those 2,500 accounts, are those by request only or do all of your faculty users in Active Directory have access to Zoom by default? Are you integrating it into your LMS, we’ve explored the possibility of adding it to Zoom – if at such point we’re authorized to pursue it.

Thanks!

Vaughn Booker, CTS

ITS Classroom Hotline

UNC Chapel Hill

962-9734

Mark Leonard, DL Studios, UNH

Sep 19, 2017, 7:21:58 AM9/19/17
to The AV-1 Forum

Vaughn--

We have SSO for all faculty, staff, students @ http://zoom.unh.edu/

And yes-- we now have a super sweet LTI in our LMS Canvas TEST environment-- (attached) The only thing keeping us from moving the LTI to our production LMS  is that the app fails using Safari on the 10.12 (so close)

Glad to a Zoom call if you want talk further-
~Mark

CanvasAppGuide(1).pdf
Message has been deleted

Booker, Vaughn

Sep 19, 2017, 8:26:21 AM9/19/17
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hey Mark,

Dare I ask ballpark, how much per year? Back to the 2500 users, does that mean you have 2500 scheduling licenses? I’m assuming you have more than 2500 faculty, staff and students – so are those 2500 licenses based on concurrence or did they just hit you with the flat site license fee?

Feel free to message me off list at vbo...@email.unc.edu

That is a nice site setup though!

Thanks!

VB