Take action TODAY: Ask Starbucks to make all outdoor seating areas smoke-free!

Megan Yarbrough, CAC President

Jul 2, 2010, 10:26:51 AM7/2/10
to AU Colleges Against Cancer
Starbucks recently announced that it has extended its indoor smoke-
free policy to cover its outdoor seating areas in California.

While we applaud Starbucks’ decision to extend their smoke-free policy
to their patios and other outdoor areas of their California stores, we
think Starbucks should step up and protect the health of its patrons
nationwide, not just those in California.

The scientific evidence on the health risks associated with exposure
to secondhand smoke is clear, convincing, and overwhelming. There is
no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.

By establishing nationwide smoke-free outdoor dining areas, Starbucks
would promote a healthy environment across the country where customers
can enjoy their time at Starbucks without compromising their health.

If you would like to be able to enjoy your coffee outside in the sun
without inhaling cigarette smoke, here are a few simple ways you can
let Starbucks know that its customers want smoke-free outdoor dining
areas. Please do as many as you can - the more we do, the more likely
it is that Starbucks will hear us!

1. Sign the petition: http://bit.ly/aAPgzo

2. Send an email to Starbucks using their online contact form (http://
bit.ly/cY78x6). To make it quick and easy, we have a pre-written
letter that you can modify as you see fit. To download the letter, go
here: http://scr.bi/a7pMss

3. Vote for making outdoor seating areas smoke-free on Starbucks' idea
website, MyStarbucksIdea.com at: http://bit.ly/brN1rR

4. Join the Facebook page for Smoke-Free Starbucks campaign updates:
http://bit.ly/btLl3e