JJ Thomson Plum Pudding and Electrons

Ms.McDonald

Sep 30, 2010, 2:46:53 PM9/30/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
How does the plum pudding model work? Why don't we use it? How did
Thomson discover electrons?

Zhanae'

Sep 30, 2010, 4:57:14 PM9/30/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
Atoms of negatively charged atoms surrounded by a collage of positive
charged atoms to balance the negative charged.The electrons was the
"plums" and the protons are the "pudding". He thought that their were
positive and negative particles packed tightly together.We don’t use
this model because of Rutherford’s theory of atomic structure.He did
experiments with beams of negative particles, and led to his
conclusion that an electron consisted of lightweight particles with a
negative electric charge.

kenettemanalo;

Sep 30, 2010, 6:45:34 PM9/30/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
Thomson discovered electrons by experimenting with currents of
electricity and investigating cathode rays. His experiments got him to
think that these rays are streams of particles, much smaller than
atoms that are in fact smaller pieces of atoms. It took him more
experiments for him to discovered that the rays are made up of
electrons which are tiny negatively charged particles that are
fundamental parts of every single atom. In the plum-pudding model,
electrons were thought of to be positioned throughout the atom. The
"plum" is the corpuscles and the "pudding" is the protons. We don't
use this model because of Rutherford's model, which was in favor by
theory and experimenting. It described that the electrons orbits
around the nucleus.
> > Thomson discover electrons?- Hide quoted text -

Victoria Martinez

Sep 30, 2010, 6:58:36 PM9/30/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
The way the plum pludding is modeled to demonstrate the atom and
helped with the steps leading to the foundings of the electrons. In
the model the rasins or plums are meant to be negatively charged
electrons and the pudding around it is meant to demonstrate the
positive charge.This model is ineffective beacause it suggested that
the positive charged atoms were concentarted on the center of the
atom, the nucleus. Which provided a large electric force and in
certain situations would get together with the protons. Thomson came
with the discovery of the electrons when he was experimenting with
currents of electricity inside empty glass tubes.

Alexandria Garrett

Sep 30, 2010, 9:19:01 PM9/30/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
J.J. Thomson was one of the first scientist to discover that the atom
consisted of parts, he used a Cathode Ray Tube to show that a blue
path showed in the tube by a negative charge. He then used a magnet to
separate the charges from one another and concluded that they were all
negatively charged. Thomson then suggested that the negative charges
(electrons or "plums") were within a positively charged liquid or
"pudding". Unfortunately, his theory was proven wrong when Rutherford
discovered that electrons sat on rings that were circled around
protons and neutrons.

Monica

Oct 1, 2010, 7:00:29 AM10/1/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
J.J. Thomson was one of the scientists who discover the atom's
structure
consisted of parts. J.J. Thomson used a Cathode Ray Tube. The Cathode
Ray Tube showed a blue
path in the tube because of a negative charge. Next he used a magnet
separate the charges from and concluded that they were all
negatively charged. Thomson then suggested that the negative charges
(electrons-"plums") were in a positively charged liquid or
"pudding". His theory was proven wrong when Rutherford
discovered that electrons sat on rings that were circled around
protons and neutrons. That is why we do not use this today!

Richard

Oct 1, 2010, 6:46:12 PM10/1/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
J. J. Thomson discovered electrons by using the Cathode Ray. This Ray
allowed Thomson to see a blue path filled with bodies smaller than
atoms. He then put a magnet to retract the charges and figured that
they all were electrons. After more study, Thomson thought that these
electrons were surrounded by protons; which were on the outside of the
atom. In the Plum and Pudding Model, The "Plum" is the electrons and
the "Pudding" is the protons. We don't use this model today because of
Rutherford, who discovered that electrons surrounded the protons and
nuetrons; instead of vise versa.

tianna7

Oct 3, 2010, 10:49:18 AM10/3/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
Thomson discoverd electrons when he used Cathode tubes. The electric
magnet showed negatively charged particles. The plum pudding model
suggested that the electrons (plums) were sprinkled inside this
positively charged cloud (pudding). However, Thomson's theory is not
used because Rutherford's model proved that electrons connect to
rings, which allowed it to orbit protons and neutrons.

audrey10

Oct 4, 2010, 1:36:10 AM10/4/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
The plum pudding model showed negatively charged electrons inside of a
positive framework. We don't use this anymore because Rutherford came
out with his own atomic model that showed the electrons surrounded a
positively charged nucleus. Thomson discovered electrons using
cathodray tubes which are electric and magnetic fields used to move
beams of particles.

Katherine Tomaselli

Oct 4, 2010, 9:18:47 PM10/4/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
J.J. Thomson was one of the scientists that helped contribute to the
discovery of an atom's structure. He discovered negatively charged
particles, electrons, by using a Cathode Ray. The ray showed a blue
path in the tube due to the electron. Then he put a magnet to them and
discovered that they were all electrons. For The Plum Pudding model,
the plum was the electrons, and the pudding was the protons that
surrounded the electrons. The Plum Pudding Model is no longer used
because Rutherford discovered that it's really the other way around.
Electrons really surround the protons & neutrons.

Louise Blumenau

Oct 5, 2010, 6:35:51 PM10/5/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
Thomson said, that there is like a dust of electrons, around the
protons. So compared with the pudding, the plums are the protons, and
the pudding is equal to the electrons.
But we don't use this model any longer, because of what Rutherford and
Bohr found out in theire experiments.
Thomson discovered the electrons while experimenting with beams and
cathode rays.

Kate Haney

Oct 6, 2010, 8:05:29 AM10/6/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
The plum pudding was merely a symbolic representation of an atom.
Thomson stated that the suspended plums were said to represent the
floating electrons. Later scientific research would prove this
hypothesis was proven correct. The pudding part was said to represent
the positively charged portion of an atom. Here is where Thomson's
lack of technology left him at a disadvantage and led him to provide
an inaccurate model of an atom. Today we know that each atom has a
definite number of positively and negatively charged particles rather
than a cloud of positivity.

Maeghan

Oct 6, 2010, 6:56:09 PM10/6/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
In the Plum Pudding model, the electrons and protons are mixed
throughout the atom with no particular arrangement. We do not use this
model because it does not contain neutrons and the whole formation of
the atom is inaccurate. Thomson discovered electrons by experimenting
with electricity and cathose rays.

Kelsey

Oct 6, 2010, 7:12:40 PM10/6/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
The plum part of the plum pudding represented the electrons in a atom.
The pudding part of the plum pudding represented the positivly charge
protons and neutron. (neutrons are neutral) The plum pudding was
supposed to show what a atom looked like.We do not use the plum
pudding model because Rutheford proved it wrong. His model showed the
electrons moving in a orbit surrounding the protons and neutrons.

Aaron George

Oct 6, 2010, 10:12:32 PM10/6/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
First of all JJ Thomson discovered electrons using cathode rays which
is a vacuum bulb with a cathode on one side and anode on the other
allowing electrons to passes through easily without air in the way to
interfere with the electron flow. JJ came to the conclusion that the
electrons were all and about in a ball of positively charged atoms
that radiated the electrons to give of it negitive charge and balanced
each other in charge. We dont use his model because of our favor of
Rutherford's model of atomic structure.

Nathan Campbell

Oct 7, 2010, 9:37:24 PM10/7/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
Thomson discovered electrons with his cathode ray experiment. He
thought that the electrons (plums) were surrounded in a positive
proton jelly (pudding). We do not use his theory because of
Rutherford's and Bohr's better models of the atom.

Katie

Oct 9, 2010, 4:45:18 PM10/9/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
J.J. Thompson discovered electrons by using a cathode ray. The way the
plum pudding model works is electrons are compared to negative plums
embedded in a positively charged pudding. We do not use it anymore
because of Rutherford's theory of atomic structure. He discovered that
electrons surrounded the protons and neutrons.

Jazzy

Oct 9, 2010, 5:38:09 PM10/9/10
to 6th period chemistry SC
JJ Thompson discovered elctron by the cathode ray.He thought that the
electrons (plums) were surrounded in a positive proton jelly
(pudding). We don't use it because of Rutherfords theory of atomic
structure.

On Sep 30, 1:46 pm, "Ms.McDonald" <mcdsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
This conversation is locked