White Industries VBC cranks and SRAM 10 speed experience

Greg Walton

Nov 22, 2016, 4:38:53 PM11/22/16
to 'Mike Schiller' via 650b
For any of you running this combo, can you shed light on the quality of shifting, particularly the front? Also interested in what front derailleur you have.

Greg Walton
Seattle

Adam Paiva

Nov 22, 2016, 7:20:22 PM11/22/16
to 650b
Not what you asked for but I have Shimano 10 speed and WI VBC with 50/34 rings and an XTR M952 front derailleur with Dura Ace 7800 downtube shifter. Shifting at the front is excellent. Can't think of a time I dropped the chain either.

Philip Kim

Nov 22, 2016, 7:56:34 PM11/22/16
to 650b
I've used Shimano 10 speed with XT FD and it was awesome.

Here is someone who used SRAM Force FD with SRAM 10 speed and had positive results.

http://theradavist.com/2014/04/well-used-white-industries-vbc-cranks/

Daniel Jackson

Nov 22, 2016, 8:21:36 PM11/22/16
to 650b
Currently friction shifting 10 speed XT rear with Shimano CX70 FD up front and the WI is smooth, easy to trim, haven't ever dropped a chain over 2500 miles.

William Lindsay

Nov 22, 2016, 8:23:25 PM11/22/16
to 650b
Perhaps the OP specifically means using SRAM Brifters as the front shifter?  Or maybe SRAM trigger shifters?  "SRAM 10" is not sufficiently specific information to get the answer I think you are seeking.

I have a White VBC crankset on a bike with a 2x10 drivetrain.  The front shifter is friction, though (microshift barcons).  The front derailer is Shimano CX70.  The chain is SRAM 1091.  The rear derailer is XT786 GS, but that is probably not germane to the question.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Greg Walton

Nov 22, 2016, 8:39:11 PM11/22/16
to William Lindsay, 650b
Thanks for the reports so far.

Bill is correct, my query was not specific enough.  It is good to hear the friction feedback, because that's how I will be set up in the near term.   However, I am mainly interested in brifter performance, and specifically throwing the chain up to the big ring. I will be running a 30T small ring and either 46 or 48T large.

Greg Walton
Seattle

Philip Kim

Nov 22, 2016, 9:31:55 PM11/22/16
to 650b
Greg check out the radavist link. He is using SRAM drifters.

Greg Achtem

Nov 22, 2016, 10:22:21 PM11/22/16
to Philip Kim, 650b
If that's on his touring bike (now stolen) it was barcons. So friction front.

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 19:31, Philip Kim <phili...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greg check out the radavist link. He is using SRAM drifters.

satanas

Nov 23, 2016, 2:30:09 AM11/23/16
to 650b
Could those using CX70 front derailleurs please let us know what the smallest outer chainring you've shifted from successfully is?

Thanks,
Stephen

Daniel Jackson

Nov 23, 2016, 6:17:19 AM11/23/16
to 650b
40t down to 24

Guy Washburn

Nov 23, 2016, 6:45:01 AM11/23/16
to 650b
I use 46-30 VBC cranks with the CX70 FD on multiple bikes with gret success. Shimano Brifter or SRAM barcon both work fine with it. My vote fore the worlds best front derailleur.

Hudson Doerge

Nov 23, 2016, 8:52:59 AM11/23/16
to 650b
I just switched to sram barcons, but had been using force 10 speed brifters + vbc + cx70 fd for several years with no complaints whatsoever. I highly recommend using the excellent shimano cx70 fd. Flawless setup. Still works great with barcons. Only reason I switched was to use trp hylex levers.

Hudson in atx.

njh...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2016, 12:18:10 AM11/27/16
to 650b
I'm using SRAM Force 22 11-speed shifters on two bikes, both using Deore XT 2x10 front derailleurs. No problems at all with the front shifting. Cranks on both are Middleburn RS7 with 10-speed Duo chainrings, one bike using 42/29 chainrings and the other 38/27 chainrings.

ejg

Nov 27, 2016, 9:22:03 AM11/27/16
to 650b
Hi Greg,
on my Rawland I use Sram Force shifters, WI crankset 44/28 with a Shimano 105 front derailleur, 11-32 10 speed SRAM cassette and a Rival rear derailleur. The shifting is a-ok most of the time. Occasionally shifting to the 28 can be a little fussy. That being said, for me the beauty of the 44 big ring is that I rarely use the 28. I've been using this set up for a few years and am happy with it.

Ely Rodriguez

Nov 27, 2016, 6:02:50 PM11/27/16
to 650b
I've been using this set up, no problems.
I use the apex front der.

Ely Rodriguez

Nov 27, 2016, 6:03:56 PM11/27/16
to 650b
my crank is 30-46. My rear is usually 11-32, but I now use a 11-36.

Justin Hughes

Nov 28, 2016, 12:28:45 PM11/28/16
to 650b
Is it not? Isn't all SRAM 10s Exact Actuation? I guess if he's using bar ends the front shifter is friction. But, I think Double Tap or trigger shifters would be the same.