Soma GR - Feedback from Actual Users

John Hawrylak

Oct 22, 2016, 7:19:37 PM10/22/16
to 650b
Seriously considering  55cm Soma Grand Randonneur.  I would appreciate any feedback from the actual users.
* Did the Soma GR fulfill what you wanted??
* What doe s it do well??
* Are you happy with its ride and "planing' ability??
* Any regrets??
* Any problems with a rear load other than a saddlebag hung from the saddle

This is first foray into 650B low trial.  I'm coming from a 88 Panasonic Schwinn Voyaguer touring frame/fork with Columbus Tenax tubing (0.9-0.7-0.9 TT?DT STD size) so the thinner wall GR should be an improvement.  Looking for a general ride, up through brevets and light touring with front bag and low riders.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

I saw Nick's Nov 2015 Big Blog on the Soma GR and other than "stiff' ride (vs Nick's Motor Bacon), it seemed positive.

If anyone in the Philly, Wilmington DE, South Jersey area has a 55cm, I'll be interested in a ride.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

cdshar...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2016, 12:59:51 AM10/23/16
to 650b
Hey John,

I've been riding a 55 cm v.2 GR for a few months now. It's become my de facto commuter while I build up other frames but I won't be surprised if it stays that way because I love riding it so much. I look for excuses to ride it, whether it be to run errands at work or to go to friends' places several miles away. My commute can be as long as 9 mi both ways with a tool bag in my front basket that has held somewhere around 15 pounds, plus or minus 2. It feels awesome loaded up front nad I have no qualms about adding tools and furniture blankets even when I'm already loaded with my regular daily gear. Some other  build details that may be pertinent: I do not have a needle bearing headset, but I do have Compass Babyshoe Standards, a Selle Anatomica saddle and 105 hubs laced to Synergy rims. I mention the first two because they make for an extremely comfy -- I give barely a thought to potholes and cracks as I blast over them. As for the wheels, this is my first experience with rims of any quality whatsoever and I think that the feeling of the momentum build in the hubs really contributes to my enjoyment of the bike.

This bike was my "return to cycling" bike, so I can't give you a solid ride comparison. That being said, I think the bike is a blast. It climbs like a champ. The concept of planing still eludes me, but taking corners at 20+ mph still makes me smile, just like it did the first time. I had never experienced that tilting sensation before, almost like I'm on the grade of a curved track. At low speeds, the low trail steering can feel twitchy, especially when my front Wald is unloaded. At middle to high speeds, however, I can whip around obstacles with ease. As I grow more comfortable on the bike and get used to the responsiveness of the steering, I find myself discovering that I can really push the handling and have some fun. What used to feel uncomfortably sensitive now feels more sporty. Nevertheless, I'm looking into replacing the Tange Levin headeset with a Needl Blastr from Rivendell, just because commuting in NYC unfortunately involves many short stretches at low speeds.

I have not loaded it with a rear saddle sack yet nor have I done any rides longer than 60 miles. I'm looking forward to trying a brevet or two when the New Jersey Randonneurs' events start up again in 2017.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions that I can try to answer.

shawn b

Oct 23, 2016, 9:50:52 AM10/23/16
to 650b
PM sent as I am located near you and have a 55cm GR V.2.

Feelings on the bike:
-Its a great bike for the price point.
-I rode it for brevets, a Fleche, and some camping trips. Front loaded with lowriders it did shimmy REAL bad on my way to the BQ un-meeting this past year with 'normal weekend amount of camping gear", but with less weight(the food I brought was gone now) in the bags on the return trip, it did not shimmy.
-No problems with a large rear saddle bag.
-The rear triangle tubes are very overbuilt. They are very thick compared to the rest of the bikes design. Leading me to call it a "light weight" touring bike...
-Would suggest the bike to those looking to get into 650b or on a budget.
-If one would find themselves out in the woods, the bike always worked well for me on some singletrack. YMMV.

-Shawn
Phila, PA

-

Harald Kliems

Oct 23, 2016, 9:58:01 AM10/23/16
to 650b
Hi John:
I have a review of my 65cm SOMA Grand Randonneur (nicknamed Grando) on my blog http://ride-or-pie.blogspot.ca/2015/12/soma-grand-randonneur-my-review.html
I've since ridden it a good deal more and am still very happy with it. To your questions:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 6:19:37 PM UTC-5, John Hawrylak wrote:
Seriously considering  55cm Soma Grand Randonneur.  I would appreciate any feedback from the actual users.
* Did the Soma GR fulfill what you wanted??
Yes. After converting my Gunnar Roadie to 650B, I wanted the "full" BQ experience, with 42mm tires and fenders. The Grando was an affordable option to get there.

* What doe s it do well??
It's a great sporty all-purpose bike. I'm riding it on fastish group rides whenever the weather calls for fenders, I've done several S24Os this year, either packed with low-riders or hauling a trailer, and it's fun riding around town when I don't have to carry a laptop.

* Are you happy with its ride and "planing' ability??
Yes, I'm happy, but I don't feel qualified to answer the planing part. The bike doesn't seem to slow me down, but then I don't think I've ridden a true plane-y bike.

* Any regrets??
Absolutely not. I'm not super happy with the Miche headset/VO decaleur option -- hard to get the adjustment just right, and it keeps loosening. If/when the Miche dies, I may just try a regular ball bearing headset. I wasn't in love with the looks of the seat and head tube extension, but by now I've gotten used to it...

* Any problems with a rear load other than a saddlebag hung from the saddle
The only rear load I've attached is an axle-mounted trailer with camping gear. That didn't cause any issues.

Harald in Madison (WI)

satanas

Oct 23, 2016, 7:35:14 PM10/23/16
to 650b
Seriously considering 55cm Soma Grand Randonneur. I would appreciate any feedback from the actual users.

* Did the Soma GR fulfill what you wanted??

No, not even slightly. It did sort of do the job, but with maximum aggro and minimum enjoyment.

* What does it do well??

Nothing, except shimmy. :-(

* Are you happy with its ride and "planing' ability??

No, the ride was excessively hard due to the overkill forks and seatstays, only made acceptable by the low pressure 42mm tyres. The bike did not plane for me at all, but at the same time shimmied horribly, so the worst of both worlds - unstable and a harsh ride.

* Any regrets??

Plenty! It's the first bike owned or ridden in ~40 years where I actively hated both the ride and handling; I wasn't able to find anything the GR did well. Look elsewhere, or at least do not buy without test riding; if you don't like the handling at first, do not assume you'll adjust, or get used to it - I never did.

* Any problems with a rear load other than a saddlebag hung from the saddle?

Didn't try this, but given the very strong shimmy tendencies above ~28km/h with just a front load (with a needle bearing headset) I'm sure mayhem would have been the result.

I say stay well away unless you manage a successful test ride and really like the bike.

NB: It may be that I just don't get on with low trail, as a framebuilder checked it out and said it handled "as one would expect." However, that IMHO doesn't excuse or explain the shimmy, or general lack of stability or predictability at any speed or with any load. Things were somewhat better with another fork with less offset (45 instead of 31mm trail), though still a long way from good.

Later,
Stephen

Mark

Oct 23, 2016, 9:30:17 PM10/23/16
to 650b
I built up a 56cm SOMA GR last year and have taken it on mostly unloaded road rides and a few off road excursions. The geometry on this bike is exceptional. It is dialed in on descents with or without front loaded bags. The frame is stiff and responsive on climbing. I've been running 42mm Hetres.

Mark

Nick Favicchio

Oct 23, 2016, 10:02:18 PM10/23/16
to 650b
I have a 61cm Soma GR v1, $300 for the frame fork and headset shipped :).

I did the 2015 Oregon Outback on the bike.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk93Vxor

More pics...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8iakpD

I liked it as a touring bike with big tires. It wasn't very spritely, the frame felt stiff but it was super easy to build and ride. It put everything in the right place. I decked mine out with 2" 650b tires which fit up front w/ the v1 fork crown but to fit out back required some frame crimping :).

https://flic.kr/p/qmy7A2

I'd say the most fun I've ever had on a bike was on this thing riding across Oregon with a gaggle of weirdos.

Eric Daume

Oct 24, 2016, 6:47:33 AM10/24/16
to Nick Favicchio, 650b
Didn't the tubing change between the V1 and the V2? I asked Soma about the V2, and they said it was all standard sized tubing, except for the 65cm. IIRC, the V1 had OS tubing, at least on the bigger sizes.

Eric

Stephen Poole

Oct 24, 2016, 9:12:36 AM10/24/16
to Eric Daume, Nick Favicchio, 65...@googlegroups.com

Certainly the 55cm V1 had standard sized main tubes, though the seatstays were huge, and the fork blades must have been heavy gauge; they never flexed visibly despite lots of rake.

erick

Oct 24, 2016, 10:11:13 PM10/24/16
to 650b

my soma GR v.1  61cm have standar size tubing.

i would recomend to "go bigger" one ore maybe two sizes bigger than you normally ride, the reach of the frame does not increment much size to size (392mm for the 55, 395mm for the 58 and 398mm for the 61) and you will have a bike with less seatpost show and higher handlebar whitout raising to much the stem   geting a much more pleasent look ...

i normaly ride 58 frame and whit the soma  i get the 61. sometime im very tempted to get another frameset and re-weld the canti bosses to fit 26x2.3 tires, i think they could fit and transform the bike to a enduro all road.

the bike defintly plane more than my diamont back sorrento mtb and more than my cannondale caad 9 and less than my rossin columbus slx road bike,

Stephen Poole

Oct 24, 2016, 10:54:35 PM10/24/16
to erick, 650b

Re sizing: My 55cm V1 had a rather short uncut steerer tube, allowing only a small amount of spacers, so when the higher trail fork was built the steerer was made slightly longer by ~10mm to allow a slightly higher bar. This wouldn't be an issue if using a tall stem like a Technomic, but I used a 3T stem with a somewhat shorter quill.

This was a surprise, given most bikes these days come with threadless steerers, with plenty of extra length for adjustments. I've cut down threaded forks in the past, but there wasn't even enough extra with the GR to fit a Tanaka decaleur.

Later,
Stephen

Harry Watson

Oct 27, 2016, 2:02:20 PM10/27/16
to 650b
Hi John,
I've been riding a 58 v2 for a year or so, and I reckon it's about a 7/10. Which is pretty good for such a cheap frame I think. I use GB Hetres or Compass SBH.

1. Yes and no, but I think I had slightly unrealistic, or hopeful expectations. I wanted an all-road bike because I live on a farm, and I've got a minimum of 5km of rough roads and gravel before I see tarmac. The GR is fine for this stuff w/o a load on, but really not suited for loaded gravel touring. Having said that, I used it for the 3000km Tour Aotearoa, but there was some serious underbiking involved, and I'm onto my third fork...

2. It's a nice lively workhorse that I don't have to worry about thrashing. It feels just about as fast as my steel road bike, but I get a lot fewer pinch flats on the gravel, and I can really push it on the descents. I like the low-trail thang. I pretty much always have a rando bag with a minimum of kilo or two of gear/snax etc in it though.

3. I don't think it planes. Planing remains a bit of a mystery to me though. It definitely can shimmy at high speed, especially with low-riders, but roller bearing headset does seem to reduce this. It's not bad enough to be an issue.

4. No regrets, it's been a lot of fun. I regret hitting a wallaby on it actually, it was expensive and I'll never be a back model now.

5. I put a Carradice Camper long flap with about 5kg in it on as an experiment and it was so noodly I abandoned that idea immediately.

Hope that helps,
Harry

satanas

Oct 29, 2016, 2:07:35 PM10/29/16
to 650b
Re handling/shimmy: IMHO *any* shimmy is a serious issue(!), and needs to be designed out. My 55cm V1 consistently shimmied from about 28-30km/h upwards, even with a needle bearing headset. This was frightening at times, ie on a Welsh pass at 55km/h, with heavy traffic, in fog and rain. The shimmy was noticeably much worse *without* front panniers; these seemed to damp things a bit. The worst case was with just a bar bag, or bar bag plus seat bag.

The only thing which helped much was a new fork with ~14mm less offset/more trail; the bike only shimmied once with the new fork, but that was once too much for my liking.

I'm inclined to think there was some sort of horrible synergy between the huge fork offset (70mm measured), minimum trail (31mm as calculated from actual measured geometry), and stiff fork blades combined with an overly flexible head tube/top tube; these could be seen and felt to flex with front panniers when making sharp turns at low speed.

If you don't care about planing, aren't planning on carrying front panniers and actually like shimmy then I guess the GR isn't so bad...

Later,
Stephen

Nick Bull

Nov 1, 2016, 12:18:11 PM11/1/16
to 650b
I've ridden 8400 miles on my Soma GR (58cm, first generation).  It never shimmies.  Headset was a Miche needle-bearing for most of those miles, but now is an IRD "Need'l Blaster Roll'r Drive" (needle bearings on the bottom; ball bearings on the top).

I've ridden 9500 miles (including PBP twice) on my other low-trail bike, which is a Gunnar Sport with S&S couplers and a custom Waterford fork (rake = 73 resulting in trail of 29 and flop of 8.3--almost identical to the GR).  The Gunnar never shimmies, either.  Chris King headset.

Almost all of the Gunnar miles have been randonneuring miles.  But I did do a hundred-mile tour with low-rider panniers, which made the handling rock-solid, stable, and perfectly intuitive.  I haven't tried the GR with panniers.

The Gunnar planes slightly better than the Soma GR, but it's just slight.  Really only detectable in head-to-head climbing tests where the Gunnar outperforms the GR.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/650b/Oebx_ObeCVw/I1xOs9tOFzIJ;context-place=forum/650b

So my experience with the GR and with low-trail bikes in general is the pretty-much the exact opposite of Stephen's.  I love low trail, he hates it.  I don't understand why he hates it, but then I'm sure he doesn't understand why I love it!  FWIW, I also have several medium-trail and high-trail bikes including my Rambouillet with trail of 57.  The Gunnar's trail was originally 62 before the custom fork.  Since I like to use a handlebar bag, and since it's almost impossible to ride no-handed on a high-trail bike with a handlebar bag, I much prefer the low-trail geometry.  Plus, low-trail geometry means I'm not constantly fighting the steering, which is particularly important on climbs where you have to stand up, particularly near the end of a 1000km or 1200km ride where you're pretty tired and pretty beat up.

FWIW, to the original posters question ...   The Gunnar is my travel bike and I prefer to ride it only when I'm traveling or on a special event (1000 or longer) so that I don't wear out the components and then discover before a long trip that I can't take it because it needs too much work.  Plus the Gunnar has slightly-higher-end components than the GR.  So the GR is my regular rando bike.  And it is just fine for regular rando.  If I had had an extra $500 when I bought it, I'd have gotten a Boulder Bikes Allroad, and I think that would have had a ride more comparable to the Gunnar.  But I didn't and still don't have an extra $500 so I'm fine with the GR for all my regular riding.

Nick

Stephen Poole

Nov 1, 2016, 2:05:21 PM11/1/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 2 Nov 2016 3:18 am, "Nick Bull" <nick.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've ridden 8400 miles on my Soma GR (58cm, first generation).  It never shimmies.  Headset was a Miche needle-bearing for most of those miles, but now is an IRD "Need'l Blaster Roll'r Drive" (needle bearings on the bottom; ball bearings on the top).
>
> I've ridden 9500 miles (including PBP twice) on my other low-trail bike, which is a Gunnar Sport with S&S couplers and a custom Waterford fork (rake = 73 resulting in trail of 29 and flop of 8.3--almost identical to the GR).  The Gunnar never shimmies, either.  Chris King headset.

If we're going to talk about PBP, I've ridden two on ~55mm trail and 700c, and two on low trail, one on the GR with fork #2 (45mm trail) and the other on an AM (32-369, 30something trail). The 700c bikes needed the least mental effort. Before the fork change (with 31mm trail) the GR was generally unstable and liked to shimmy, plus I found holding a line extremely challenging, especially trying to draft someone when tired; IME *all* aspects of handling at any speed and with any load improved with the second fork, thankfully fitted before PBP. (And yes, the original fork was aligned correctly.) The AM had a fairing and did not like sidewind gusts at all, but was fast in the headwinds; 17" wheels do not increase stability.

It seems to me that some people find turning or manoeuvring hard work, and like low trail as this makes the bike more responsive/less stable, while others (like me) prefer the bike *not* to change direction unless firmly directed to do so(!). I figure 99% of the time one is going straight ahead, so reducing the effort to do that makes sense to me. YMMV. And yes, I do like descending at high speed, and don't find this difficult on bikes with normal steering geometry - at least they don't tend to shimmy.

> Almost all of the Gunnar miles have been randonneuring miles.  But I did do a hundred-mile tour with low-rider panniers, which made the handling rock-solid, stable, and perfectly intuitive.  I haven't tried the GR with panniers.
>
> The Gunnar planes slightly better than the Soma GR, but it's just slight.  Really only detectable in head-to-head climbing tests where the Gunnar outperforms the GR.
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/650b/Oebx_ObeCVw/I1xOs9tOFzIJ;context-place=forum/650b
>
> So my experience with the GR and with low-trail bikes in general is the pretty-much the exact opposite of Stephen's.  I love low trail, he hates it.  I don't understand why he hates it, but then I'm sure he doesn't understand why I love it!

^ The reason why I didn't like 31mm trail on the GR is that IMO it did nothing better than a bike with 55-60mm trail, plus many things aggravated me (ie shimmy) and/or required more effort - much more concentration was needed to ride in a straight line or follow a wheel, responses to steering inputs were overly sudden, etc. With 45mm trail things were much better WRT handling, but the ride quality was still fairly dire, certainly no better than my old 531 Pro road frame with 23mm tyres, and possibly worse.  :-(

> FWIW, I also have several medium-trail and high-trail bikes including my Rambouillet with trail of 57.  The Gunnar's trail was originally 62 before the custom fork.  Since I like to use a handlebar bag, and since it's almost impossible to ride no-handed on a high-trail bike with a handlebar bag, I much prefer the low-trail geometry.

Hmm. I don't generally like or feel comfortable riding no-hands at any time, on any bike (except my first 1980s MTB), so getting into the bar bag while riding doesn't mean much to me. Yes, it's a bit easier to use once stopped, but I'm not convinced all those people with racktop bags or saddlebags are wrong, and they're a lot less complicated. And 55-63mm trail feels entirely normal and predictable to me, under all conditions, loaded or not.

> Plus, low-trail geometry means I'm not constantly fighting the steering, which is particularly important on climbs where you have to stand up, particularly near the end of a 1000km or 1200km ride where you're pretty tired and pretty beat up.

Now this I don't get at all - "fighting the steering on climbs?!?" I just sit there and spin, no fighting involved; I don't see how trail makes any difference here. Also IMHO, if you *have* to stand up the bike isn't geared low enough; standing because one chooses to is another matter.

The thing to take away from all this is that people aren't necessarily going to agree on anything much. If we were talking about "ideal gearing" there'd be even more blood spilled! Or we could discuss the US election...

Later,
Stephen

Ethan Labowitz

Nov 2, 2016, 1:32:54 AM11/2/16
to 650b
I have a v2 as my only bike currently. Planing? hard to say, but I like it. It was $490. A tubeset probably costs over $250 these days. I've not done much framebuilding, but I've done enough to know that it takes *a lot* more than $240 worth of work to make a tubeset into a functional frameset. I know that a $490 frame and a handmade frame isn't apples-apples, but still, I'd have paid more.
Mine has seen use as a rural commuter in Wisconsin, an S24O-er (with front lowriders), and nowadays mostly as an urban commuter in Boston.
I think it's a 58cm.
Sure, I wish everything was a little flexier, and I'd prefer a 1" threadless steerer, but for $490 I'm all set.
The build is a hodgepodge of parts, probably under $1500 all told. Compass EL 42mm tires, duh.

Philip Kim

Nov 2, 2016, 8:28:48 AM11/2/16
to 650b

> Plus, low-trail geometry means I'm not constantly fighting the steering, which is particularly important on climbs where you have to stand up, particularly near the end of a 1000km or 1200km ride where you're pretty tired and pretty beat up.

Now this I don't get at all - "fighting the steering on climbs?!?" I just sit there and spin, no fighting involved; I don't see how trail makes any difference here. Also IMHO, if you *have* to stand up the bike isn't geared low enough; standing because one chooses to is another matter.

The thing to take away from all this is that people aren't necessarily going to agree on anything much. If we were talking about "ideal gearing" there'd be even more blood spilled! Or we could discuss the US election...

Later,
Stephen

 When climbing on my Hunq with a front load, I am fighting the steering as it veers left and right. The steeper the climb, the worse it gets. My low trail Pelican doesn't do this.

Stephen Poole

Nov 2, 2016, 8:58:39 AM11/2/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 2 Nov 2016 11:28 pm, "Philip Kim" <phili...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  When climbing on my Hunq with a front load, I am fighting the steering as it veers left and right. The steeper the climb, the worse it gets. My low trail Pelican doesn't do this.

Huh. That sounds bizarre to me. The only time I've ever experienced anything like this was back in 1984 on my first MTB, a Diamond Back Mean Streak. On the first tour I used very large front panniers (~45 litres) on a steel tube lowrider rack, and maintaining a line while climbing in the 16" low gear on fire trails was difficult. However, the loading was unusual, and the bike didn't fit as well as it should have. (This was in the early days of MTBs with bullmoose bars, 180mm cranks, etc.)

With drop bars on the road or with more normally sized front bags offroad this has never happened to me again; I truly do not understand what's going on here.

Later,
Stephen

Nick Bull

Nov 2, 2016, 11:51:07 AM11/2/16
to 650b
There's an easy way to test stability given the way you like to load your bike.  Loaded as you want your bike to be loaded, ride at 15mph on a flat surface on a day with negligible wind.  Take your hands off the bars.  If the bike starts to veer, you can tell it's not very stable.  For me, loaded as I want my bike to be loaded means a handlebar bag.  (I want to be able to just reach into the bag and get what I need without stopping.  Or strip off clothes as the day warms up and stuff them into the bag without stopping.)  If I do the test described, with a high trail bike like my Ram, then as soon as I take my hands off the bars then it starts to veer (it's not just the Ram, this happens with any of my three other mid- to high-trail bikes).  With a low-trail bike, as soon as I take my hands off the bars, nothing happens.  (Removing the handlebar bag from the high trail bikes improves their stability considerably, in my experience, but that's not how I ride.)  Handling of my low-trail bikes with no handlebar bag is a little funky, but the only time I ever ride like this is when I'm doing bike repair and am road-testing the repair for a couple of blocks and back.

FWIW, I don't like to ride no-handed and I like it even less when people ride no-handed around me.  Earlier this summer some dufus started riding no-hands in front of me and promptly crashed at speed.  I was barely able to avoid crashing into him as he slid sideways down the bike path, leaving only a foot of room to the left side of the path.  I won't describe his injuries.  (FWIW, carbon-fiber racing bike with narrow racing tires and typical high trail.)

Nick

Nick Bull

Nov 2, 2016, 11:55:26 AM11/2/16
to 650b
Oh, yeah, I should mention I ride back and forth to work every day on high-trail bikes with my handlebar-mounted handlebar bag.  It's not like I'm saying that high-trail bikes can't be ridden with a handlebar bag.  I rode BMB06 and PBP07 that way.

Stephen Poole

Nov 2, 2016, 12:44:03 PM11/2/16
to Nick Bull, 650b

On 3 Nov 2016 2:51 am, "Nick Bull" <nick.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's an easy way to test stability given the way you like to load your bike.  Loaded as you want your bike to be loaded, ride at 15mph on a flat surface on a day with negligible wind.  Take your hands off the bars.  If the bike starts to veer...

With my GR 15mph was perilously close to the threshold for onset of shimmy with the original fork, so I'll pass on that test thanks! I haven't totally given up on the idea of low-ish trail, or on handlebar bags, but any further testing will have to wait until I'm in a better position to do some fabrication; there are things I'd like to try, but I really have no interest in riding the GR ever again, except perhaps as a reference, or control.

Later,
Stephen

Steve Palincsar

Nov 2, 2016, 4:19:12 PM11/2/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Philip's experience is exactly the same as mine and Nick's.  What's really hard to understand is your experience, which runs counter to everyone else's.

Joseph Kopera

Nov 2, 2016, 11:20:17 PM11/2/16
to 650b
Built up and been riding a GR... v2? (The cream colored one with light green and silver striping). About 200 miles on it so far. 61 cm frame. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I mention this as this is likely a huge factor in how any given frame responds to me as compared to lighter riders-- some bikes may feel lively for me probably feel like tractor trailers to lighter folks. YMMV.

First impressions:

1.) I really like how it handles and responds. For me, it "planes", which, for me, means that the bike feels like I can always make it go faster, and it's very responsive to my pedal strokes. YMMV. Does it plane as much / better than a more expensive frame? I ain't got enough cash to find that out just yet.

2.) I happen to like low trail 650b, and find it stabler than mid trail bikes I've ridden. That's me: YMMV. I have ridden it with 10-15 lbs in my bar bag and found it a little more stable than without. YMMV. For me, narrower bars make low trail bikes less floppy. For me. YMMV.

2a.) I've yet to load the front up with 30 lbs on the racks and panniers. I have seen pictures by a guy on Flickr (Marc McShane IIRC) who did a fully loaded tour across country on what looked like a GR, IIRC.

3.) Mine shimmies a lot. This doesn't really bug me that much. However, I also bought it from someone who'd had an old XTR ball bearing headset installed that kept coming loose after about 10 miles on each ride no matter how tightly I adjusted the lock nut. That probably had MUCH more to do with my shimmy than anything else on this bike-- which disappeared whenever my hands were on the hoods. YMMV. I'm just installed a Miche roller bearing headset, so we'll see! For me shimmy also disappears when I have the fit dialed in juuust right, which changes with the season / my back / how much yoga I'm doing in a given month.

I don't find the frame as aesthetically pleasing as almost every other rando-style 650b bike I've seen out there, but I'm also not looking at the thing when I'm on it. I've come to find it quirkily endearing even though it doesn't look as good in my photos as other bikes I own.

Besides aesthetics, my only complaint is that it requires a fork crown daruma bolt for front fenders, which is a peeve of mine for a bike advertised as fender-ready.

I think it's a very excellent bike for its price point, and I don't think you could go wrong between it or a Velo Routier for an intro to low trail 650b bicycles. In the end, it will come down to tweaking the fit just right, which can take a while-- if it takes longer than you'd like and you find the bike ungainly, now you know! And you have a popular frame you can sell used at not too much a loss. YMMV.

Have a blast!
Joe K.
Western Mass.

Joseph Kopera

Nov 2, 2016, 11:21:01 PM11/2/16
to 650b

WMdeR

Nov 3, 2016, 12:05:24 AM11/3/16
to 650b
Dear Steve,

I don't want to interject too much (I was one remove from the GR's v1 design (I tested the 56 cm with a Boulder Bicycle 1" threadless fork as a prototype, and liked the geometry and wanted them to get rid of the overbuilt seatstays), and I enjoyed one in 52 cm as a guest bike until a co-worker bought it--a daily driver for his family), but some folks just have shimmy problems.

The one Boulder Bicycle  return I know of (a 2009/2010 Allroad) was returned due to constant and incurable shimmy. After PBP 2011, the rider returned the lovely silver bike for a replacement, a mid-trail machine. Mike and I both rode the oritginal, with a front handlebar bag and without, as equipped, and were unable to reproduce the problem. It was a size too big for me, or I would have bought it, as it was otherwise the same bike I ended up buying from Mike.....

Now, I am much more likely to experience shimmy than many/most of my riding friends. I sit relatively far back on the bike, I ride with a handlebar bag on two of my three commonly-used machines, and I like low-trail machines with a front load. I also ride with about 6cm of drop from the top of the saddle to the tops of the handlebars, and prefer to ride no-hands pretty frequently on longer rides. I can make most bikes shimmy--especially thinwall O/S bikes with mid-trail and no load. Those kinda go banannas at speed without a firm hand. Forget riding while shivering.... The variable is how badly, at what speed, and whether I can arrest the shimmy with either a finger on the handlebars, or a knee on the top tube. Others, depending on their position, may find they are more likely to experience shimmy on bikes.

Anyway, I like low-trail bikes with a front load and needle-bearing headset. Your experience may well vary, and it is a very good thing to have options in the market. If the late 1990's stock steel bikes were my sole option, I'd be a carbon-fiber snob (as I was for 100,000mi or so). Stiffness/weight != stiffness.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO

Stephen Poole

Nov 3, 2016, 1:03:03 AM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

That's two people now who've suggested one's position can influence shimmy. This had been suggested to me too, but I'd largely discounted it as my position has been pretty well constant across various bikes, and I have ridden others with similar front centre and chainstay lengths to the GR (but more trail) without issue. The range of frame rigidity here was large too, including frames both much less or more stiff, and all without shimmy tendencies.

Will's description of his position sounds similar to mine, but I've only ever experienced shimmy with three bikes, and the other two had very rigid tubular steel racks with bags in non-standard locations. With other racks and bags these behaved much better.

So, other than the reduced trail I'm grasping at straws to explain why the GR shimmied. With the new Columbus SL fork, rake was reduced by 14mm, and trail increased by a like amount. Front centre also shrunk so maybe the change in weight distribution might have had some effect(?), but this seems unlikely as the final differences from other bikes were small.

The other constant on the GR was the GB22 handlebar bag. At first I used a homebrew decaleur made from Spinaci clamps and bits cut from an old MTB handlebar, with the bag strapped to these with the original leather straps. This was clunky plus the bag deformed/lozenged quite noticeably across the unstiffened rear. Later I bought a GB decaleur, and while this made fitting and removing the bag somewhat easier and improved hand clearance on the tops, it did little or nothing to stiffen the bag and reduce deformation or slop. This bugged me, but as I was cycle touring in Europe there wasn't much I could do about it.

After PBP I spoke with one of the finishers at Alex Singer's stand, and noticed that his bar bag and decaleur arrangement was totally rigid, with zero movement possible. I wonder if flex and movement of the bar bag could be enough to cause or exacerbate shimmy??? Seems like it's worth stiffening the bar bag and making a really solid connection to the bike to find out.

Even if this does solve the shimmy problem, I don't like the handling with circa 30mm of trail, but 45mm seems doable. More testing is required!   :-)

Later,
Stephen

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 6:49:00 AM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 11/03/2016 12:05 AM, WMdeR wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
> I don't want to interject too much (I was one remove from the GR's v1
> design (I tested the 56 cm with a Boulder Bicycle 1" threadless fork
> as a prototype, and liked the geometry and wanted them to get rid of
> the overbuilt seatstays), and I enjoyed one in 52 cm as a guest bike
> until a co-worker bought it--a daily driver for his family), but some
> folks just have shimmy problems.

I believe that. I recall an email exchange on one of the lists with a
guy who claimed to have shimmy on every single bike he'd ever tried,
including a Trek Madone he test rode at the LBS. It's just plain
inconceivable that every single bike this guy had ever ridden, including
a bike that is very well represented in my bike club and one I've never
ever heard an owner claim had a shimmy problem. I myself had a
terrifying speed wobble problem with my P15 Paramount back in 1972 and
1973. Somewhere along the line, among a host of changes made to try to
improve my position (turned out the bike was 1" smaller than the bike I
ordered, thanks to an error in the placement of a check on the order
form) the speed wobble went away, and it didn't come back in the
remaining 18 years I rode the bike.

What I do find amazing is Stephen's issues with low-trail steering.

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 6:51:20 AM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 11/02/2016 11:21 PM, Joseph Kopera wrote:
> 3.) Mine shimmies a lot. This doesn't really bug me that much. However, I also bought it from someone who'd had an old XTR ball bearing headset installed that kept coming loose after about 10 miles on each ride no matter how tightly I adjusted the lock nut. That probably had MUCH more to do with my shimmy than anything else on this bike-- which disappeared whenever my hands were on the hoods. YMMV. I'm just installed a Miche roller bearing headset, so we'll see! For me shimmy also disappears when I have the fit dialed in juuust right, which changes with the season / my back / how much yoga I'm doing in a given month.

I'm no mechanic, but I have seen that before, with a bike that didn't
have thick enough spacers in the headset stack. A good mechanic fixed
it by replacing a spacer with an ever-so-slightly thicker one.

Stephen Poole

Nov 3, 2016, 7:36:55 AM11/3/16
to Steve Palincsar, 65...@googlegroups.com

On 3 Nov 2016 9:49 pm, "Steve Palincsar" <pali...@his.com> wrote:

> What I do find amazing is Stephen's issues with low trail steering.

^ I'm not sure if you mean that I didn't like shimmy(!), or that I'm not fond of handling with 30mm trail. If the former, things were checked out very carefully, but only changing the fork made any difference. If the latter, I'll bet you like some foods I don't, and vice versa.

For example, some people I know claim to like Brussels sprouts, and after Interbike in 1991 I was in Santa Cruz - allegedly the sprout-growing capital of the US - during their annual festival. They had Brussels sprout ice cream, sprout-flavoured salt water taffy, sprouts and chips, etc. I think I can say with some confidence that others beside myself would find those "delicacies" less than tempting, but some thought they were great. Tastes do vary, and no, I've never acquired a liking for sprouts, despite plenty of exposure to them (unfortunately).

Later,
Stephen (who would be worried about anyone who disliked chocolate)

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 7:49:48 AM11/3/16
to Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
No, not the shimmy - nobody could possibly like shimmy.  Rather, what you've experienced with regards to low trail steering bears little to no resemblance to what everyone else has experienced.  It's not a matter of liking the taste of brussel sprouts, but rather that to you brussel sprouts taste like vanilla ice cream or bacon, whereas to everyone else they taste like brussel sprouts.

Stephen Poole

Nov 3, 2016, 8:26:20 AM11/3/16
to Steve Palincsar, 65...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that everybody does - or should - like anything, chocolate included! For example, if Grant Petersen liked low trail, one would expect Rivendells to have it, but they don't. It may well be that I am in fact a lunatic, but GP has fans who would say he is not.  :-)

The other thing we're likely seeing here is "self selection" where those who respond about a particular topic do so only if they have strong opinions about it; those who aren't so fussed are less likely to do anything. It's a bit like voting. (I'll duck for cover now).

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 8:47:31 AM11/3/16
to Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
We're not talking about liking here, but rather one's experience of what
it is. It's not relevant if you like red wine or not, the question is
does this drink taste like red wine, or does it taste like beer. Your
experience of low-trail steering as you experience it is completely
unlike mine. Going by your description, I'd have said you were
experiencing high trail steering, not low trail.

Cameron Sharp

Nov 3, 2016, 10:10:11 AM11/3/16
to 650b
While I'm firmly in the pro-GR camp, it doesn't seem entirely true that Stephen's experience with constant shimmy is an anomaly. As someone said earlier in reference to their Paramount, almost imperceptible build and fit differences can have a dramatic effect on ride quality. Without knowing the exact specs on Stephen's GR -- assuming that has anything at all to do with this -- I'm willing to chalk this dispute up to a simple difference of opinion/experience.

Cameron

HillDancer

Nov 3, 2016, 10:57:37 AM11/3/16
to 650b

Here's a product-of-promise I'm anticipating the release of:

Ryan Watson

Nov 3, 2016, 12:34:55 PM11/3/16
to Stephen Poole, Steve Palincsar, 65...@googlegroups.com

> On 2016/11/03, at 6:26, Stephen Poole <nsc.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For example, if Grant Petersen liked low trail, one would expect Rivendells to have it, but they don't.

Does anyone remember that Rivendell reader where they had an adjustable fork to test different amounts of trail? As I recall, Grant said he preferred the low to high. He also sang the praises of frame flex in the Bridgestone days. Now he sells stiff, high trail bikes. Go figure!

Ryan

Jim Bronson

Nov 3, 2016, 1:57:56 PM11/3/16
to 650b
Regarding "fighting it" on the climb mentioned previously in the thread,

The only time I've ridden a high trail bike with a somewhat heavy handlebar bag (10-15ish lbs) on a long ride was on Portland-Glacier 1000K in 2007.  Bike was my late 90s Rivendell Custom
(or maybe Road Standard semi-custom, who knows, I'm the 2nd owner).  The bike was running 700Cx28 at the time.  The wheel flop was horrible taking off, so bad that I had to be
very careful starting up.  And on the 2 passes we ascended, I had to white knuckle the steepest parts when I was in granny gear for fear of wheel flop putting me over at 5-7 mph.
Climbing the hills around Flathead Lake in the dark on the 3rd day I had some white knuckle moments as well as there were some short steep rollers.

Overall not an experience I want to repeat, and have not done so with my current bike.  I'd like to get a low trail bike and try out a handlebar bag again, but the SomaGR V1 65cm was a bridge too far, it was not big enough for me.
Sure I could ride it with a 400mm seat post and a gigantic NTC-280 stem, but it didn't look very good, and aesthetics are at least a little important.
My Rivendell is 68x64, C-C.  Someone on this group said the 65cm V2 GR is closer to an actual 65, but, my main bike is 68 C-C, so I'm not even sure a true 65 would be ideal.

Maybe now that Boulder has added a stock geometry 'G' size group, that stock size would work.  But a custom Boulder is only $300 more, so I can't imagine not going that route were I to acquire a Boulder All-Road.  Which, ironically to their model names, I would use for brevets along with my other riding around town and so forth.

-Jim

signature goes here

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 3:45:55 PM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 11/03/2016 10:10 AM, Cameron Sharp wrote:
> While I'm firmly in the pro-GR camp, it doesn't seem entirely true that Stephen's experience with constant shimmy is an anomaly.

The anomaly is not that he experienced constant shimmy. Shimmy has its
own issues; some individual bikes and some individual riders are simply
prone to it, and nobody can explain exactly why.

The anomaly in question is that he experiences low trail steering in a
completely opposite way from everyone else. It's like his left hand tap
gives cold water and his right hand one gives hot -- while everyone else
gets hot from the left and cold from the right.

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 3:54:44 PM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 11/03/2016 01:57 PM, Jim Bronson wrote:
> Regarding "fighting it" on the climb mentioned previously in the thread,
>
> The only time I've ridden a high trail bike with a somewhat heavy
> handlebar bag (10-15ish lbs) on a long ride was on Portland-Glacier
> 1000K in 2007. Bike was my late 90s Rivendell Custom
> (or maybe Road Standard semi-custom, who knows, I'm the 2nd owner).
> The bike was running 700Cx28 at the time. The wheel flop was horrible
> taking off, so bad that I had to be
> very careful starting up. And on the 2 passes we ascended, I had to
> white knuckle the steepest parts when I was in granny gear for fear of
> wheel flop putting me over at 5-7 mph.
> Climbing the hills around Flathead Lake in the dark on the 3rd day I
> had some white knuckle moments as well as there were some short steep
> rollers.

Yes, exactly. I had wheel flop make the bike do an out-of-control self
induced 90 degree turn under exactly those circumstances, on two
different high-trail bikes. One of those was on a sunken gravel road,
and I came to an abrupt halt when I rode right into the
wall/shelf/berm. One of those was on a bike with a handlebar bag, the
other was not. But that same wobbly instability at really slow speed
climbing steeply characterized both. That kind of low speed,
bike-wants-to-dart-off-by-itself instability is completely absent with
my low trail bikes, even with heavily loaded bags.

Joey Kopera

Nov 3, 2016, 3:56:49 PM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I think we need to be careful here lest we stray (if we haven't already)
into shaming riders for their experiences on a bike-- I doubt that's the
intent of anyone here on this forum, and we'd hate to scare new folks
away for having experiences that diverge from some sort of "norm".

Steve-- I'm interested in what the common experience is for low trail
steering, as everyone I talk to seems to have a different one...

Thanks,
Joe
Western Mass.

Joey Kopera

Nov 3, 2016, 4:01:59 PM11/3/16
to Steve Palincsar, 65...@googlegroups.com
FWIW I've had that type of instability with my low trail rigs to varying
degrees, which was exacerbated by various factors including position,
load, handlebar width, etc... I still don't find low-trail to be any
more rock-steady than mid-trail bikes I've ridden on climbing and at low
speeds unless well-loaded... it still takes some consciousness and
effort, for me at least, to keep the bike from twitchy wandering at low
speeds unless everything is dialed in just right... a process that's
taken over a year, and at times, was so frustrating to a degree that I
was ready to swear off low trail-- too many modifications and
compromises required to achieve said stability that everyone else raves
about. And yet I still prefer it to my mid-trail bikes... but I'm not
entirely sure "everybody" experiences such stability with low-trail
rigs. I have a good friend who's a 650b / low trail convert who
couldn't stand the twitchiness of the GR at low speeds and finally built
his own frame to suit.

Cheers,
Joe
Western Mass.

Steve Palincsar

Nov 3, 2016, 4:28:17 PM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 11/03/2016 03:56 PM, Joey Kopera wrote:
> I think we need to be careful here lest we stray (if we haven't
> already) into shaming riders for their experiences on a bike-- I doubt
> that's the intent of anyone here on this forum, and we'd hate to scare
> new folks away for having experiences that diverge from some sort of
> "norm".

Shaming? Certainly not. But it's extremely puzzling when people report
widely varying experiences.

As for shimmy - if every single bike you've ever ridden shimmies and
you've ridden a wide range of bikes and not just only ever the one
single bike, then that's on you and not the bike. I won't say "shame on
you" to someone in that situation, but I definitely will say "Look out,
kid, it's something you did; God knows when but you're doing it again."

> Steve-- I'm interested in what the common experience is for low trail
> steering, as everyone I talk to seems to have a different one...

Steer by steering, not hip waggling; easy to change a line in the middle
of a turn; weight in the handlebar bag isn't noticed much and more
weight isn't more noticeable; straightening up out of a turn you don't
feel like you're lifting the weight of the bag as is the case with the
same bag & same weight on a high trail bike; steering pretty much
unperturbed by wind or road roughness; at low speeds steering doesn't
want to dart off on its own, instead if you just leave it alone the bike
will continue to climb straight even at very low speeds/low gears/steep
hills; steering feels fairly light at all times.

WMdeR

Nov 3, 2016, 9:46:04 PM11/3/16
to 650b
Dear Stephen,

Low trail does reduce the speed at which shimmy happens in my experience, as does main-triangle flexibility. Adding weight to the rotating portion of the front end can either increase the shimmy potential (relatively light weight) or decrease it in favor of a long-period oscillation (heavy weight and low mass).

I can initiate shimmy pretty consistently by changing my weight distribution over the wheels.

One of my good friends and I are the same size, ride similar equipment, and can swap bikes mid-ride. I am much more likely to experience shimmy on a given machine....

Best,
Will
William M deRosset
Fort Collins CO USA

Nick Favicchio

Nov 3, 2016, 10:20:53 PM11/3/16
to 650b
Mine shimmied.

V1, didn't have a needle bearing headset. Tried to install one but shop that installed the headset cut the steerer after doing so and I was mad then, but when the Miche didn't work I was ALL OF THE MAD. That was soon before I learned that the V2 fork crown wasnt as wide and couldn't fit a 2" knobby like the V1 could and was all of the sad and angry again.

In my experience, you can make just about any bike shimmy. The GR seems more prone to it. Needle bearing headset, maybe even adjusted a scutchy tight? I dunno, pick your gremlin.

I have a 747 tt 858 dt custom, very light and skinny rear triangle, 35mm trail, no shimmy except once doing 50mph w/out a knee in the tt and loose headset. Since properly adjusting the headset, zero issues.

I've talked to a few people about why the GR seems to wiggle so much. Few folks suggested seatpost and/or headtube extension as the culprit. I have no idea.

Stephen Poole

Nov 3, 2016, 11:41:33 PM11/3/16
to 65...@googlegroups.com

Please note that I've never claimed either 650b or low trail trail bikes are generally prone to shimmy, only that my GR is. However, given how often people here talk about equipment or techniques to ward off or control shimmy I'm inclined to think it must be a fairly common issue with this type of bike.

FWIW, I've owned and test ridden many, many road, non-low-trail touring and mountain bikes from very flexible (various ALANs, light steel) to very stiff (Klein, Columbus Max, various carbon), with wheels from 17" to 27". Apart from the two exceptions mentioned before, none of these had any shimmy tendencies, and I certainly hadn't noticed any ability to induce shimmy pre GR.

The absolutely guaranteed way to get the GR to shimmy was to hit a bump on the exit from a corner. Even with the front panniers one could feel the shimmy trying to start, but it was quickly damped; with just a bar bag things were more serious. Shimmy happened on many other occasions too, but with no obvious cause.

The original geometry was measured as 72° head angle and 74mm offset, so not to spec (72.5°/69mm). The replacement fork had 60mm offset, and flexed a bit more over bumps, though still not a huge amount. It's hard to pin down which of the changes (trail, flex, offset, weight distribution) affected shimmy tendencies, but something certainly did, and I found the bike much less mentally taxing to ride with the second fork. Shimmy incidents were greatly reduced, though sadly not quite eliminated. I'm also inclined to believe Will's theory that main triangle flex, or more specifically head tube twist, may be a factor, and IME it certainly doesn't help either steering precision or stability.

Perhaps there's something about the way the various bits of the GR work together (or against each other) which makes shimmy more likely? I don't know the answer, but am keen to ensure the problem goes away if and when the replacement frame ever happens!

Later,
Stephen

Mark

Nov 4, 2016, 2:29:17 AM11/4/16
to 650b
The SOMA GR is great production 650B frameset and an excellent value. It's very stiff and responsive on climbs and dialed in on geometry for general sport riding and touring. I have a v1 model I had powder coated a light metallic blue and have been running 42mm Grand Bois Hetres with a Nitto short front rack. It's sort of like having a dual sport motorcycle but with lighter weight, nimble on dirt and pavement, and also gets a lot of double takes from other riders on fancy road bikes  :^)

Mark

Mark Eastman
East Palo Alto, CA USA

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

SOMA_GR_72.jpg

Brad Paris

Nov 4, 2016, 8:27:14 AM11/4/16
to 650b
I have a GR v.1 too!

I sized mine a little differently than most riders, I think. I'm 6' 155lb and I'm on a 65cm. Going by the frame size, it seems like an outrageously large bike for someone my height, but I spent a lot of time measuring the bike I usually ride and the 65 seemed like the best way to get the closest fit. I have disproportionately long arms and torso and I like being stretched out a bit. I have about 1cm of seat post showing above the seat tube extension, which looks odd, but if you pretend the extension doesn't exist, I have a fistful of seat post showing. I can use a Nitto Pearl to get the bars level with the saddle.

I've had the bike assembled for less than a year and I use it for commuting, shopping, and one short tour with a handlebar bag and front panniers. I rarely ride it without a load and occasionally I take it to the grocery store and ride home with way too much stuff in the front basket. I'm using a Haulin' Colin rack, which is pretty sturdy under heavy loads.

I'm pretty sure this bike won't plane for me (and I didn't have any hopes that it would) but I love the way it handles. I normally ride a Quickbeam and I prefer the handling of the GR to the QB. I still like the QB, but I prefer how low and stable the GR feels. The steering is light at low speeds, but not in a way that bothers me. The steering is steady at high speeds.

I don't get any shimmy on the bike (and I'm using a regular headset), but I've never gotten shimmy on any bike (except this one time that I was touring the West coast on a fully loaded single speed and was passed by an RV on a downhill with no shoulder, but I attribute that to the death grip I had on my bars). If I wiggle the handlebars I can feel the rear moving in a strange way, but it doesn't affect the way the bike feels under normal riding conditions.

I don't have any regrets. I wanted to try out a 650B low trail rando-style bike. I picked up the GR for $700 complete and it does everything I want it to do. I'd like to order a Boulder (especially now that they offer lowrider braze-ons) for a lighter, more refined version of the GR.

Brad
Queens

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 7:19:37 PM UTC-4, John Hawrylak wrote:
[...]

Jim Bronson

Nov 4, 2016, 10:18:40 AM11/4/16
to WMdeR, 650b
The person who sold me my first Rivendell said that it shimmied at high speeds, i.e., 35mph+, and to just put my knee on the top tube and it would stop.

I've never experienced that in 11 years owning the bike, and I'm a person who tends to bomb downhills at high rates of speed, I have had this bike over 50mph probably a couple of dozen times and over 40mph too many times to count.

The difference between him and I is mainly weight.  He was 6'5" and like a stick figure, I'm 6'7" and offensive lineman build which is to say over 250 most of the time.  (over 280 currently yikes).

When I had the 65CM GR V1, I took it down a couple of steep hills.  It didn't shimmy.  But maybe because of the heavy weight rider?

Jim

Nick Bull

Nov 4, 2016, 10:36:02 AM11/4/16
to 650b
Hi, Stephen,

I do wonder if the movement of your bar bag is a contributing factor.

FWIW, I use a GB28 bag.  Bought from Boulder Bikes who included an aluminum stiffener bracket.  I've got that stiffener bolted to the decaleur and also bolted to the sides of the bag.  The decaleur receiver is a Velo Orange bolted to the stem (these are no longer available).  I use a little leather strap to tie the bottom of the bag to the front rack (I loop it through the bag's leather strp that goes around the rack's "tombstone").  The front rack itself is sitting right on top of the fender, to which it's bolted.  It's a very stable setup.

Riding position--the key thing for me on all my bikes is to be balanced so that if I lift my hands off the bars, I don't tend to fall forward and so that my sit bones neither tend to slide backwards nor forwards on the saddle.

As to shimmy ... I rarely ride no-hands.  And any time I'm descending (and often when I'm coasting) I always have my knee pressed against the top tube.  I don't know when I started doing that but that's how I've been riding for as long as I can remember.  Someone must have told me to do that when I was in my teens!  I think that makes it so that I seldom experience shimmy.

Nick

erick

Nov 10, 2016, 4:57:11 PM11/10/16
to 650b

i second what John Hawrylak says i normally ride 58 frames,  with the soma GR go with 61, the reach increment betwen zises is very small (even shorter in the new version) that let you run bigger frames with taller headtube

mitch....@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2016, 9:14:01 PM11/10/16
to 650b
From a couple photos posted in this thread, including Erick's, sizing the GR up results in a good-looking bike.

Nice one, Erick, and nice color
--Mitch

Guy Washburn

Nov 11, 2016, 6:47:16 AM11/11/16
to 650b

I'm 6'1" with long arms but short femurs., I have a 65cm v1 GR. I use a straight Thompson and have a rather long rail sddle all the way forward to get to a comfortable KOPS position on the bike. I use a 130mm stem and the IRD RollerDrive headset. I initially experienced a touch of shimmy but after putting more tension on the headset it disappeared. I really like the handling characteristics of low trail either fully loaded or with just a couple of tubes and a toolset. The ability to intuitively change line to avoid potholes on a diminishing radius dirt corner is a delight, and I have never been comfortable on long trail bikes since. I recently found an Elephant NFE XL that has taken it's place in the normal rotation, but the GR still has a fond place in the stable.

Guy

Eric Nichols

Nov 27, 2016, 1:28:40 PM11/27/16
to 650b
I built up a Soma GR 65cm in July. It's the most recent version with the raised TT, painted white with red panels. IRD RollrDrive headset, 100 mm stem.  I started on 42mm BSP ELs and then moved to 48mm SBH ELs, tubeless. I've got about 2000 miles on the bike, much of it on dirt roads and trails.

Shimmy:  none, ever.  I have another low-trail rando bike so I knew what to expect, which for me is nothing, except that it handles a front load well and is quicker steering, which I really like especially on technical trails. Even with these characteristics it is well-behaved in a fast group ride at close quarters. As others have noted, shimmy has a lot to do with the interaction of the rider with the bike, a person's "proprioception" as it relates to cycling. We are all different, and bodies react and adapt differently, with different operational envelopes.

I've not tried tires smaller than 42mm, but doing so would exacerbate any tendency to shimmy.

Overall the GR has exceeded my expectations.  My "fancy" custom rando bike gets used less frequently than the GR, partly because the GR is so versatile, and partly because the GR is not as "precious" so I don't mind taking it anywhere, anytime.

As others have noted, the steering tube on the 65 cm frame has no extra length.  I had to mill down my cable hanger to reduce the stack height enough to allow the headset locknut to fully engage.

On this size frame the main tubes are OS.  Reportedly the ST is 9-6, DT is 9-6-9, and TT is 8-5-8. Those tubing choices are just fine for me at 6'5" and 200 lbs. The overly stout seat stays and fork are a little odd, but with tires this big, the impact on ride quality is hardly noticeable.  The bike doesn't "give" quite as much under hard pedal pressure as my other rando bike does.  If that is planing, then this bike does less of it, but the difference is not great.

The fender clearances are nice and consistent.  I have used fenders with the 42mm tires.  It might be possible to run a fender with 48mm tires, but it would take some very careful fitting, and even then the clearances would be super-tight.

The real surprise with this bike has been how it excels in the rough.  With the 48 mm tires (=1.9" MTB width), it is a sure-footed all-roader. The stout fork and stays are probably an asset in rough conditions. The BB is quite low (65m drop) and I use 180 mm cranks, so the pedals do run close to the ground.  The wider/taller tires help in that respect. The Paul canti brakes are quiet and powerful. The triple crank gives a huge range and close spacing, the best of both worlds. The SON hub and integrated lights are a joy and a frequent ride-saver. This bike is a truly a "Grand Explorer" that continues to take me to all sorts of improbable places.

Photos of my setup here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/87833632@N05/albums/72157671986015912

Eric Nichols
Newfields NH

WMdeR

Nov 27, 2016, 3:00:11 PM11/27/16
to 650b
Note that Eric's bike is a sub-2,000$usd machine depending on how carefully he shops. That is a modern-era gateway drug right there.

Note: my guest bike was a 52 cm (really a 54 with the dropped top tube) gen 1 before it got poached as a do-it-all bike by a mountain-biking friend. My shorter friends and family sure rode well on it....

Mike Klaas

Nov 28, 2016, 5:31:51 PM11/28/16
to 650b, pali...@his.com

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 4:36:55 AM UTC-7, satanas wrote:

On 3 Nov 2016 9:49 pm, "Steve Palincsar" <pali...@his.com> wrote:

> What I do find amazing is Stephen's issues with low trail steering.

^ I'm not sure if you mean that I didn't like shimmy(!), or that I'm not fond of handling with 30mm trail. If the former, things were checked out very carefully, but only changing the fork made any difference. If the latter, I'll bet you like some foods I don't, and vice versa.

You certainly aren't the only one who isn't overly fond of low-trail handling.  I'm not a fan of the handling of my Boulder All-road with 38/42 tires, and find it worse with a front load.

mitch....@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2016, 1:07:50 AM11/29/16
to 650b
Nice GR Eric. Is that saddle frame mounted tail light wired to the dynamo? If so, how?

thanks,
Mitch

Steven Frederick

Nov 29, 2016, 7:48:33 AM11/29/16
to Mike Klaas, 650b, pali...@his.com
I don't mind the handling of my Rawland, but it hasn't been the
game-changing revelation for me that it has been for some folks.
Actually, I believe I'll part with the thing sometime this
winter...got my eye on a (non low-trail) disc-braked gravel bike!

Steve

Ryan Watson

Nov 29, 2016, 1:03:04 PM11/29/16
to Steven Frederick, Mike Klaas, 650b, pali...@his.com
Which Rawland? The rSogn is more mid-trail (by my definition anyway) at 40mm. It doesn't handle quite as well as the low (30-34mm) trail bikes I've had but it's still in the top 2 for best bikes I've ever ridden! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited by the news that you might be selling one :-)
Actually when I got my first low trail bike, I was most surprised how ordinary the handling felt. But now when I ride high trail bikes, they feel a bit "off" somehow.

Ryan

Andy Bailey Goodell

Nov 29, 2016, 2:20:31 PM11/29/16
to 650b
That's how everything feels to me. Each time I get a "better" bike, wider tires, supple tires, etc. I tend not to notice much benefit. Then I go ride another bike I hadn't been on in a little while and wonder why it feels so darn sluggish all of a sudden!

Andy

Eric Nichols

Nov 29, 2016, 11:54:48 PM11/29/16
to 650b
That tail light on the back of the C17 saddle is a SON unit powered by the generator hub. I ran the wire through the seatpost, seat tube and down tube. It emerges through an unused water-bottle boss on the underside of the downtube.

Some other details are noted in the Flickr comments. This bike sometimes has fenders, and I wanted a permanent tail light that wasn't attached to the fender.

The idea came from Mitch Pryor of MAP Cycles.

Eric Nichols

Steven Frederick

Nov 30, 2016, 8:59:30 AM11/30/16
to 650b
A Stag. It's not that I don't like the way it handles-it's quite a
nice bike. And I like having all my stuff right in front of me in the
rando bag. But those things alone aren't enough to be worth keeping
it around. I have too many overlapping road bikes and I'd like to
pare things down. And I've got a yen for something a bit more modern.
My plan is to sell the Stag and my custom Quiring gravel bike and
replace them both with one disc-braked bike with two wheelsets, one
shod with slicks for pavement oriented rides, the other set up more
dirt oriented. It's all just tentative right now, but that's the way
I'm leaning. I'm thinking about the Lynskey GR250. It's designed to
work with either a 700X40ish OR 27.5X2ish. Pretty cool. A set of
700X38 Compass tires for pavement, and a set of 27.5" X 47mm Terrene
Elwoods or 50mm Thunderburts seems like the ticket. We'll see. Steve

mitch....@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 9:32:36 AM11/30/16
to 650b
Thanks Eric

Fred Blasdel

Dec 1, 2016, 12:13:46 AM12/1/16
to Eric Nichols, 650b
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Eric Nichols <ericni...@gmail.com> wrote:
That tail light on the back of the C17 saddle is a SON unit powered by the generator hub. I ran the wire through the seatpost, seat tube and down tube. It emerges through an unused water-bottle boss on the underside of the downtube.

How does the wire enter through the head of the VO seatpost?

Eric Nichols

Dec 1, 2016, 8:33:23 AM12/1/16
to 650b, ericni...@gmail.com
Easiest way to do this is with a VO Grand Cru seatpost version 1.  It has a hole under the clamp, the SON wire passes through easily.

I used this seatpost at first, but the short clamp of the v1 seatpost allowed the saddle to "walk" backwards over time until it was in the most setback position. I hadn't noticed this flaw on previous bikes where I was already at max setback.  The GR has a slightly long TT for me, so I didn't need the full setback. The solution was a VO v2 seatpost.

On the v2 seatpost, I used a long drill bit and placed a hole through the center of the post, along its neutral axis.  You can see the wire emerging from the hole if you enlarge this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/87833632@N05/30467355573/in/album-72157671986015912/

This strategy would probably work with any post with sufficient setback.

Eric

Shane Williams

Jan 23, 2017, 8:19:11 PM1/23/17
to 650b
I'm coming into this conversation late but I love my GR V1. I have experienced shimmy but that went away almost entirely once I changed stem length, which again suggests to me that any shimmy is dependent on the individual setups? I do not have a roller bearing headset as of right now. I have a Velo Orange rack with a built in decauler and an older Swift Rando bag. Tire wise I have moved from 38mm to 42mm Hetres to 48mm WTB Horizons now. Unless you can find another low trail frame for cheaper I think you will be happy, the only thing I wish it did have is disk brakes.

John Roberts

Jan 24, 2017, 1:12:39 PM1/24/17
to 650b
In a related note, I wonder if any GR v.2 owners can help me ... I'm building up a GR (frame/fork purchased in Nov.) and only recently noticed a small stain near one of the water bottle bosses. I've already gone through the warranty for a defect that occurred in shipping the initial order, so I'd rather fix it somehow. It's smaller than a finger nail and I've tried removing it using widely known means, to no avail. On the Soma Fab. site, I notice touch-up paint offered but for some reason, only the first GR is represented there, with the v.2 "Cream" not showing up at all. Does anyone know a color match I can possibly rely on?

Thanks in advance,
John in Portland,OR

Andy Bailey Goodell

Jan 24, 2017, 3:15:09 PM1/24/17
to 650b
I was going to suggest it might be the same as the old Double Cross, but it says "Ivory (Double Cross Canti, Grand Randonneur -- not the same as Cream for v.2 Grand Randonneur)" and I'm not seeing a v2 color option there.

John Roberts

Jan 26, 2017, 11:18:43 AM1/26/17
to 650b
Exactly. They explicitly leave out the touch-up paint color for the GR2, to my dismay. I did email Soma Fabrications but they have not been helpful, thus far only forwarding the email internally trying to find someone that can help me. It doesn't paint the picture of a well-organized group, that's for sure.

I will likely have to bring the bike back to where I purchased it and use the warranty.