Rat Trap Pass with Paul Mini-moto

Harry Watson

Mar 31, 2017, 7:42:37 PM3/31/17
to 650b
Anyone tried this? I'm sick of the crappy stopping power of my cantis, but don't want to go long pull v brakes as I like my brifters. I suspect it's in the "no flippin chance" category but I'm asking anyway, hopefully. It's for a 1994 Trek 920 btw.

William Lindsay

Mar 31, 2017, 8:10:33 PM3/31/17
to 650b
Mike Varley frequently puts MiniMotos on his Monster Cross frameset with 45mm tires.  Photos of that make it look really close.

In other words, in my humble opinion, "no flippin chance".

If you are willing to spring for Paul brakes, maybe Paul cantilevers would be enough of an upgrade to get you where you want to be.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Brian Campbell

Mar 31, 2017, 11:30:27 PM3/31/17
to 650b
Would a Travel Agent work to regulate the cable pull if you put v-brakes on?

satanas

Apr 1, 2017, 2:28:34 AM4/1/17
to 650b
No mention of what cantis are there now - cantis can vary quite a bit, and poor setup can make them much worse than they could be. Some pads are crap too, ie CX-70 stock pads. I've not yet failed to stop with cantis, since 1980, so a bit of perseverance may solve the problem.

Later,
Stephen

Steve Palincsar

Apr 1, 2017, 7:16:20 AM4/1/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com

On 04/01/2017 02:28 AM, satanas wrote:
> No mention of what cantis are there now - cantis can vary quite a bit, and poor setup can make them much worse than they could be. Some pads are crap too, ie CX-70 stock pads. I've not yet failed to stop with cantis, since 1980, so a bit of perseverance may solve the problem.

And there is a big difference between low-profile and wide-profile
cantilevers.

Philip Kim

Apr 1, 2017, 11:28:26 AM4/1/17
to 650b
I prefer Paul cantis as they are easier to adjust. But the levers also play a part.

I do like the old school Shimano aero levers

Daniel Jackson

Apr 1, 2017, 12:00:27 PM4/1/17
to 650b
Which do you prefer Steve?

Harry Watson

Apr 3, 2017, 2:14:00 AM4/3/17
to 650b
Thanks for feedback everyone. On this bike I'm using the admittedly crappy tektro cr720s, and I'm sure they'd improve with some salmon pads, however my experience with hydraulic discs on my mountain bikes has got me greedy for more grunt. FWIW, I'm not overly impressed with my Paul Neo-Retros on my Soma GR either. I'm reasonably confident both sets of brakes are set up fine. I think I'll try some new pads, and if that doesn't improve them significantly I'll try v brakes with the travel agent. Might be an option for your Indian adventure Stephen?

Stephen Poole

Apr 3, 2017, 6:35:56 AM4/3/17
to Harry Watson, 650b

On 3 Apr 2017 4:14 pm, "Harry Watson" <harold...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'll try some new pads, and if that doesn't improve them significantly I'll try v brakes with the travel agent. Might be an option for your Indian adventure Stephen?

^ I'm not fond of the whole travel agent idea, but in any case will most likely be taking Jones bars, 3-4" tyres and (probably cable) discs to India. It's not really the place for drop bars, especially away from major roads.

Re pads, koolstops changed the CX-70s on the GR from moderately dangerous to quite acceptable, however YMMV.

Later,
Stephen

Steve Chan

Apr 3, 2017, 2:08:25 PM4/3/17
to Harry Watson, 650b

   Tektro stock pads are really pretty useless compared to decent Kool Stop pads. There's also a lot of details about straddle cables and pad spacers that help a lot on brake performance.
   Probably a lot easier to fix the cantis than converting to V brakes.

On Apr 2, 2017 11:14 PM, "Harry Watson" <harold...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for feedback everyone. On this bike I'm using the admittedly crappy tektro cr720s, and I'm sure they'd improve with some salmon pads, however my experience with hydraulic discs on my mountain bikes has got me greedy for more grunt. FWIW, I'm not overly impressed with my Paul Neo-Retros on my Soma GR either. I'm reasonably confident both sets of brakes are set up fine. I think I'll try some new pads, and if that doesn't improve them significantly I'll try v brakes with the travel agent. Might be an option for your Indian adventure Stephen?

adam leibow

Apr 20, 2017, 10:43:57 PM4/20/17
to 650b
fwiw compressionless housing and the housing stop that mounts at the fork crown hole will probably stiffen up those canti's. https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/gallery/moots-rsl-psychlox-titanium-cyclocross-bike-interbike-2011/moots-rsl-psychlox-cross-titanium-cxm-IMG_8921_1.JPG