Light Bracket Idea Needed

Tom Norton

Mar 16, 2018, 7:54:02 PM3/16/18
to 650b
I am in need of a bracket for my front rack so I can use my new Acorn Rando bag. The attachment points are on the sides of the rack.
I seems like I need to have a "arm" that will position the light below the bag.
So your ideas are welcome!!

lj mangin

Mar 16, 2018, 8:05:15 PM3/16/18
to Tom Norton, 650b
Hi Tom-

Depending on the light and the rack it may require drilling the holes larger or even in a differen location.  Inexpensive and works well, no vibrating that I have noticed.

John M

Murray Love

Mar 16, 2018, 8:20:03 PM3/16/18
to lj mangin, Tom Norton, 650b
I got this solution from someone else on the BOB list, I think. Cut up a small 74BCD chainring, file the cut bits till they look nice, and use the crank mounting holes for the light bracket:

It makes a pretty solid mount.

Murray
Victoria, BC

Mark Bulgier

Mar 17, 2018, 12:10:15 AM3/17/18
to 650b
Tom, you really should give us more details, like which rack, what sort of attachment points, which headlamp etc.  A picture could save kilowords.

Not sure if Anton at Velolumino invented this idea but he has the most beautiful photo of one: A nice tapered and curved strut made by cutting up a Weinmann or Dia-Compe centerpul brake arm.

The Soma Wingmann seems to be an intentional take on this DIY brake-arm hack:

On some racks you might be able to use this one from Nitto:

The problem with any one strut bolting to a single point on the rack is that the weight of the lamp acting on the length of the strut makes it want to rotate.  Depending on the orientation, that might tend to loosen the bolt.  Note how the Wingmann I linked to is on the Right side of the bike -- that would have a tendency to tighten the bolt as the arm is forced down.  But put that same strut on the Left, and you'd better have some strong Loc-Tite!

On a Velo-Orange rack with two threaded bosses on each side of the rack, I made a triangulated attachment that cannot rotate, by using struts from the lamp to both of the threaded bosses.  Not the lightest-weight solution but it is bomb-proof.  I used a thicker, stouter strut to the nearer threaded boss (the shorter strut) and a thin lightweight strut to the further-away boss.  I still use Loctite though, because bolts do loosen when subjected to vibration.

Other solutions come to mind, if you haven't already bought your dream rack or headlamp:
  • Get a "hanging" lamp like the upside-down Edelux or the B&M IQ-X that can go either way -- those often need no strut at all.
  • Buy a rack that has the headlamp strut welded or brazed on -- if it ain't bolted on  it can't come unbolted.  Examples include the Compass, though it is more commonly a feature of custom or "constructeur" racks.
Mark Bulgier
Seattle

Eric Nichols

Mar 17, 2018, 9:40:11 AM3/17/18
to 650b
For a rack with two threaded bosses on the side of the rack, a piece of aluminum angle can be used to place the light forward of the rack. Three drilled holes, three bolts, and you’re done. Drill two holes to align with the rack bosses. The third for the headlight.

Placing the light ahead of the rack eliminates the tire shadow.

Eric

Brad

Mar 17, 2018, 5:08:07 PM3/17/18
to 650b
If you have enough fender/mudguard you can attach it there in the middle out front.

David Cummings

Mar 18, 2018, 10:14:44 AM3/18/18
to 650b
If you have fenders, Anton also makes elegant fender mounts for lights. It would be best if the fender also attaches to the rack for support.

I know this doesn’t help much, but I used an unmolested brake arm from a 610 centerpull to mount to the fork - it’s just an additional spacer on the brake’s through bolt.

David in MT