New NFE fork?

Nate P

Sep 26, 2016, 3:25:19 PM9/26/16
to 650b
https://www.facebook.com/107368459298900/photos/a.252489361453475.52493.107368459298900/1127238427311893/?type=3&theater

It looks like the stock NFE will now come with a unicrown fork for a "Stronger, lighter, and more economical build." :-/  Ooff.

Am I alone in my utter disgust of unicrown forks? And on the NFE, no less? Seriously messes with the aesthetic IMHO.

Eric Keller

Sep 26, 2016, 3:27:54 PM9/26/16
to 650b
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Nate P <nphi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I alone in my utter disgust of unicrown forks?

Unicrown forks seem to be nearly universally despised. For myself, I
like the way they look,especially if the blades have a pleasing curve.
But I'm not going to fight fashion.
Eric Keller
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania

Daniel Jackson

Sep 26, 2016, 3:31:40 PM9/26/16
to 650b
Agreed. Poor aesthetic move.

Alex Wetmore

Sep 26, 2016, 3:39:29 PM9/26/16
to Nate P, 650b

I have one of the first run of new forks on a semi-custom NFE.  There are photos of that bike here: http://photos.alexwetmore.org/Bicycles/Bicycles/Elephant-NFE

They ride nicely and are lighter than the older forks.  Going to unicrown allowed them to get blades that are better suited to disk brake use.  There is a big gap in availability for fork crowns that have at least 70mm clearance between the fork blades.  There is the Nova "old school" crown that Elephant used previously, but that limits you to two blade choices, neither of which is well suited to disk brake use.  There was the Pacenti MTB crown, but it is no longer being made and was quite a bit more expensive.  There aren't any other choices that are widely available.

I think that the Elephant unicrown forks look pretty nice.  They still have nice details like internal wiring for a dyno headlight that few others do, and a very nice bend in the lower portion of the blade.  Given the parameters available I think that they made the right choice.

alex

It looks like the stock NFE will now come with a unicrown fork for a "Stronger, lighter, and more economical build." :-/  Ooff.

Am I alone in my utter disgust of unicrown forks? And on the NFE, no less? Seriously messes with the aesthetic IMHO.

Nate P

Sep 26, 2016, 3:42:30 PM9/26/16
to 650b, nphi...@gmail.com
Hard to fault them given the options described, but lament I must.

Alex Wetmore

Sep 26, 2016, 3:49:56 PM9/26/16
to Nate P, 650b

Hopefully bikes like the NFE and Romanceur show Nova that it would be a good idea to offer a proper disc-ready blade that fits their oddball (but nice dimensions) fork crown.  Nova does make a disk specific fork blade for standard fork crowns, but not the 70mm wide one.

In the meantime the options are slim for those who like 50mm+ tires and fork crowns.  It's hard to blame any small producer for moving away from crowns.  I've noticed many other builders moving to segmented forks given the same restrictions, but personally I prefer the look of a unicrown to a segmented fork (and I think the unicrown is almost certainly stronger).

alex

Sent: Monday, September 26, 2016 12:42:30 PM
To: 650b
Cc: nphi...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [650B] New NFE fork?

Chris Cullum

Sep 26, 2016, 3:58:15 PM9/26/16
to alex wetmore, Nate P, 65...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 26, 2016 12:39, "Alex Wetmore" <al...@phred.org> wrote:

> I have one of the first run of new forks on a semi-custom NFE.  There are photos of that bike here: http://photos.alexwetmore.org/Bicycles/Bicycles/Elephant-NFE
>

> They ride nicely and are lighter than the older forks.  Going to unicrown allowed them to get blades that are better suited to disk brake use.  There is a big gap in availability for fork crowns that have at least 70mm clearance between the fork blades.  There is the Nova "old school" crown that Elephant used previously, but that limits you to two blade choices, neither of which is well suited to disk brake use.  There was the Pacenti MTB crown, but it is no longer being made and was quite a bit more expensive.  There aren't any other choices that are widely available.

Are the former Pacenti lugs and crowns no longer made by Long Shen? I thought I recalled still seeing them in the LS offerings. If not, that's a shame.

Greg Walton

Sep 26, 2016, 3:58:30 PM9/26/16
to Alex Wetmore, Nate P, 650b
I'll miss the nice symmetry of the original fork with the twin plate wishbone seat stays.

Alex, was it too expensive or risky for Glen to do a custom twin plate design for the front fork?

Greg
Seattle

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/650b.

Philip Kim

Sep 26, 2016, 3:59:47 PM9/26/16
to 650b
i think it looks cleaner than the clunky nova crown being used before. the nova crown and blades are stiff and heavy. i've had one on the camargue, and the fork weighed something close to 3lbs with cut steerer. segmented forks would've been nice as well.

Alex Wetmore

Sep 26, 2016, 4:17:03 PM9/26/16
to Greg Walton, Nate P, 650b

I assume that a custom twin plate fork crown was a lot more fuss with small gain, but I don't have any insider knowledge on that option.  Twin plate fork crowns aren't awesome in torsion.

Chris Cullum said: "Are the former Pacenti lugs and crowns no longer made by Long Shen? I thought I recalled still seeing them in the LS offerings. If not, that's a shame."

I believe Long Shen always made them, but Pacenti owns the design and they can't be sold elsewhere.  It would be nice if they stay on the market, but I don't think that they are.  There are two sources for buying them, Pacenti/bikelugs.com (which is closing up shop), and Ceeway, who doesn't sell them to North America.  I think they are gone (or available in very limited quantities, which obviously doesn't work for a production bike).

alex

Sep 26, 2016, 7:50:46 PM9/26/16
to 650b, gwa...@gmail.com, nphi...@gmail.com
Alex,

Your NFE is beautiful, any plans for fenders, racks and lights? You're builds are always on point.

Honestly, I like the unicrown fork more than the double-plated 'wishbone' stays. Still a great frame and company either way.

Chris

Mike Schiller

Sep 26, 2016, 8:16:56 PM9/26/16
to 650b, gwa...@gmail.com, nphi...@gmail.com
Alex, what about this Long Shen flat crown  http://www.longshen.com.tw/eng_product_detail.asp?Fid=F000002&Sid=S000020&Tid=&Pid=201505220001
I know Ahearne has used this on some of his bikes in the past with discs. Much nicer than the unicrown IMO.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca
To post to this group, send email to 6...@googlegroups.com.

Evan Baird

Sep 26, 2016, 11:08:53 PM9/26/16
to 650b
Anybody tried something like this on an Elephant?

eric moss

Sep 26, 2016, 11:13:09 PM9/26/16
to 650b
Google Pech Tregon Randonneuse.  Mini-review at https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/print/issues/bq-57-autumn-2016/

eric moss

Sep 26, 2016, 11:52:01 PM9/26/16
to 650b
BTW, a bit more love for 650b bikepacking:  http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/2016-interbike-awards/

Igor Belopolsky

Sep 27, 2016, 10:10:39 AM9/27/16
to 650b
So a bike that is vaporware got the award? Cool

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Evan Baird <vanst...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anybody tried something like this on an Elephant?

Tamaso Johnson

Sep 27, 2016, 10:13:33 AM9/27/16
to 650b
I like the unicrown better on mine, personally.

ilter

Sep 27, 2016, 10:50:22 AM9/27/16
to 650b
As a Yehuda Moon fan, I propose unobtanium instead of vaporware :). Sorry I had to do it :p
ilter in chicago

Steve Park

Sep 27, 2016, 2:56:19 PM9/27/16
to 650b
That looks great.
I like the appearance of the unicrown fork so much better than the old fork. Nothing not to like.  Well done.

eric moss

Sep 27, 2016, 3:21:52 PM9/27/16
to Igor Belopolsky, 650b
Not vaporware.  Maybe not entered in the show, but available for sale now, both in steel and titanium.

eric moss

Sep 27, 2016, 3:23:53 PM9/27/16
to 650b
Umm, I may have responded about the wrong bike.  The Jones is available now.

Igor Belopolsky

Sep 27, 2016, 3:25:44 PM9/27/16
to 650b
Yes, I was referring to the Rawland

Ryan C

Sep 27, 2016, 4:12:44 PM9/27/16
to 650b
Those of us on the waitlist got an email about the new fork about 2-3 weeks ago. Sounds like there were some issues with forks cracking, hence the redesign. Although from reading these comments it seems like crown availability MAY have been a factor as well.

My sentiments were identical to yours, Nate. As someone who wants to use the Elephant more for allroad (but mostly road) rando riding and not bombing singletrack with 40lbs on the front rack, I'll take the sexy fork with the risk of cracking over the unicrown allll day long. Too bad it wasn't kept as something one could opt for.

Keeping my spot on the waitlist though, for sure. I think the fork crown won't be as visible once I have a front rack and rando bag on it anyway. And if it's really lighter then that's a plus. If I build up the bike and still feel salty about the unicrown after living with it, then I figure I could always just get a custom fork made and powdercoated, although it's a shame it's come to that.

Finally, from the email:
"In the last year with about 90 NFEs in the world, we’ve had a few fork cracks. We take this super seriously and it jammed up production for a while. We replaced a batch of forks that we were nervous about and dug into the fork design at length. The result of this investigation revealed a number of factors that led us to a new design. There are some availability issues with the crown we were using and those that we looked at for replacement. Disc-worthy blades that fit with available crowns are not yet abundant. But ultimately, the cost (in materials and time) for producing the old fork is too high to keep the stock NFE project profitable without raising the price.

It has the same rake. And it has the same attachment points at the same spots as the old forks. Fits same fat tires.

Our goal from the start has been to build a super high-value, American-made low trail/adventure whatever rally bike. We love this bike and we want it out there. So far our customers have ridden these bikes all over the world. Many of our customers  ride the hell out of these bikes in backcountry, over 1000’s of miles of fire roads. This is what we want. This is why we build the bike. The new forks are stronger and lighter than the old forks. They take less time to build and materials are more abundant. We can hold the price where it’s at for the foreseeable future.

We hope you agree that this is the right move. I know there’s an aesthetic coolness to lugged crown with windows and such. But we believe this is the right fork for this bike. Someday when the queue is more manageable, we may look at an NFE with a lugged crown and perhaps canti’s or Jan’s centerpull brakes. Right now, however, we don’t have plans to offer a lugged fork."

Ryan Ray

Sep 27, 2016, 4:48:19 PM9/27/16
to 650b

I think it looks great. If I ever got a custom I'd probably just see if I could get it built around that fork. Beautiful bend, plenty of clearance. The old one did look better due to matching the wishbone in the rear, but not enough to be heavier.

- Ryan

Ryan Ray

Sep 27, 2016, 4:48:52 PM9/27/16
to 650b
(My photo is obviously the old one for reference)

Nathan Phipps

Sep 27, 2016, 4:52:00 PM9/27/16
to Ryan C, 650b
I feel fortunate for two things - first, a beautiful bi-plane fork crown with (hopefully) little worry of fork crack due to cantilever brakes rather than discs, and the ability to have deep discussions of the fork crown standards of small batch bicycles in the warm embrace of this list-serv.

Nate

Nick Favicchio

Sep 28, 2016, 11:46:14 AM9/28/16
to 650b
I'd really like to see some new fork crowns in the world :(. They're one of my favorite aesthetic bits on a bike.

Like a taller, stouter and obviously wider PBP crown designed for disc blades. And maybe an option for the rim brake crowd, but considering it's 2016, whatever :). Prolly not.

Fork crowns scream fancy. Unicrowns tell my eye old mtn bike. It's a bummer Elephant had to make the choice they did but rider safety, functionality and money are real. And it's still a super cool bike.

Kevan Rutledge

Sep 28, 2016, 1:41:04 PM9/28/16
to 650b
Does anyone know if the PBP crown can accommodate disc-friendly fork blades?

Alex Wetmore

Sep 28, 2016, 3:28:46 PM9/28/16
to Kevan Rutledge, 650b

It can.  It uses the standard 28x20 oval, and Nova makes a disk friendly blade for it.  It won't handle tires over 50mm though (clearance is 58mm, it is pretty tight with the Quasi-Moto) and is no longer being made.

alex

Sep 29, 2016, 12:51:02 AM9/29/16
to 650b
https://flic.kr/p/KhDhPw

Tight with a Quasi-Moto, but it looks dope :).

The Pacenti Ritchey knockoff is amazing! And no longer made :(. The PBP is lovely! And no longer made :(.

Is this niche so insignificant? Nobody wants to take Elephant's and I'm sure loads of other people's/company's money? Boo! Dumb!

Hell, even the nice old mtn bikes had crowns! The cheap old mtn bikes were unicrown! And I don't think anyone wants their NFE to look more like a Hardrock than a StumpJumper.

Chris Cullum

Sep 29, 2016, 1:19:07 AM9/29/16
to Nick Favicchio, 650b

On Sep 29, 2016 00:51, "Nick Favicchio" <nickfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://flic.kr/p/KhDhPw
>
> Tight with a Quasi-Moto, but it looks dope :).
>
> The Pacenti Ritchey knockoff is amazing!  And no longer made :(.  The PBP is lovely!  And no longer made :(.

Those crowns are no longer produced because Kirk Pacenti is getting out of the framebuilding supply business. Not do to lack of demand. Bikelugs.com was being offered for sale but I don't think as yet anyone has taken up the torch, so to speak.