Sugino OX601D replacement chainrings

jfrye

Feb 18, 2015, 5:20:41 PM2/18/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Anyone who is running the Sugino OX601D crankset priced replacement rings lately. My big ring is looking a bit shark toothed after several thousand miles of gravel riding and I thought I'd replace it for fresh one. Anyone have a source for Sugino branded or compatible replacement rings?
Cheers

Jayme

Alex Wetmore

Feb 18, 2015, 5:28:05 PM2/18/15
to jfrye, 65...@googlegroups.com

The beautiful thing with that crank is that it takes 110/74 chainrings.  You can buy them from anyone.

Sugino has typically not made the most durable chainrings.  I would look for chainrings made with 7075 aluminum, not 6061.

alex

Feb 18, 2015, 7:17:59 PM2/18/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
i was wondering about rigs for these as well. as alex noted 110/74 bcd is wicked easy to source, but what about the milling/counterboring for a ring intended to be mounted on the outside, but mounted on the inside of the spider, as in this crankset? am i overthinking it?

David Banzer

Feb 18, 2015, 7:32:23 PM2/18/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I have a bunch of new 46t "middle" position chainrings (would be in the correct orientation mounted in the "outer" position on the Sugino OX601D).
7075 aluminum, no ramps/pins.
Any interest, I have them here: http://treetop.bigcartel.com/product/willow-chainring-110-bcd-46t-53t-options

Obvious disclaimer that I gain in very small increments monetarily by selling these.
I've been trying to lay off the sales pitch for these on lists, but it seemed appropriate for this crankset application.
Thanks,
David

Nick Payne

Feb 18, 2015, 8:23:04 PM2/18/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Any 110BCD middle chainring should fit. Don't buy an outer chainring, as
the countersunk holes for the mounting bolts will be on the wrong side
of the chainring. I'm running TA replacement rings on an OX801D set of
cranks.

Dave Johnston

Feb 19, 2015, 7:37:21 PM2/19/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I have a 40t or 42t Stronglight middle if you are interested in those sizes. 6000 series AL. Pins but no ramps. $30ea

-Dave

jfrye

Feb 20, 2015, 9:36:27 AM2/20/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for the info. I scored a 42 TA ring from Harris Cyclery.

Andrew Squirrel

Feb 20, 2015, 2:23:06 PM2/20/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting info, I didn't realize the outer rings wouldn't work on OX601D cranks. It's too bad for those of us running 46t big rings and hoping to get some TA rings when the existing wear out.

David Johnston

Feb 20, 2015, 2:55:13 PM2/20/15
to Andrew Squirrel, 65...@googlegroups.com
TA makes middles up to 44t. That will get you over 100 gear inches.
Expensive but nice. I have a 43t on a bike and that seems plenty for
me.

-Dave

Andrew Squirrel

Feb 20, 2015, 3:02:58 PM2/20/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com, asqu...@gmail.com
Yeah, 44t would be too small for my use. I've even been considering jumping up to a 48t lately. Thanks.

John Selway

Feb 20, 2015, 4:41:09 PM2/20/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
perhaps one could flip a larger non-ramped/pinned outer chainring?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.

Chris Cullum

Feb 20, 2015, 5:03:56 PM2/20/15
to John Selway, 65...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 20, 2015 2:41 PM, "John Selway" <sel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> perhaps one could flip a larger non-ramped/pinned outer chainring?

The offset of the ring might not be ideal and the shifting certainly would not be as good.

Would the chainring bolt protrude far enough to be a problem if the ring is not countersunk on the inside? Maybe a regular ring would be OK?

Nick Payne

Feb 20, 2015, 7:39:21 PM2/20/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
The TA web site shows that they make 110BCD middle chainrings in sizes
up to 46t (http://www.specialites-ta.com/gb/plateau-zephyr.html), and
Spa Cycles have them listed on their web store:
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s113p1722.

jfrye

Feb 22, 2015, 8:20:57 PM2/22/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com

New rings came Saturday. Quick comparison pic of new TA ring and the Sugino ring it is replacing.

Craig Drown

May 15, 2017, 4:14:10 AM5/15/17
to 650b, sel...@gmail.com
I've just installed a TA Zephyr 44t outer on my OX601 crank and it's fine.
The bolts do protude, but there's (just) enough clearance that it doesn't matter.
The Zephyr rings are thinner than the stock Sugino ring which is 4.2 mm thick (!), so this gives extra clearance.
They're only about $40 from Wiggle and they look nicer and weigh less than the Sugino ring.
I have a 28t on the inside (also TA), so it's possible with a different inner ring you might get a different result (The inner ring is slightly asymmetrical, so it could be moved left .5mm by flipping it over I reckon, but not needed in my case.
Cheers,
Craig

Michael Arciero

May 15, 2017, 6:14:40 AM5/15/17
to 650b, asqu...@gmail.com
Peter White has TA middles in 46t

njh...@gmail.com

May 15, 2017, 7:45:10 PM5/15/17
to 650b
You don't use a chainring intended as an outer ring for the large chainring on the OX601/801/901. You use a chainring intended as the middle chainring on a 110BCD triple crankset. Both TA and Sugino make these in sizes up to 46t.

Bike shops that specialize in tandems will often have the larger size of middle chainrings - our racing tandem uses 54/44/30 chainrings on a 110/74 BCD tandem crankset

satanas

May 16, 2017, 12:58:13 PM5/16/17
to 650b
Spa Cycles in the UK have own-brand middle rings for a reasonable price, and as they sell a lot of Stronglight stuff I suspect these are very possibly Stronglight rings. The OEM Sugino rings have a lot more shaping and machining on the back side of the rings than either Spa or TA, so might well shift better, plus they're thicker and thus stiffer which should help upshifting under load, if one does that.

Later,
Stephen

Craig Drown

May 19, 2017, 10:20:54 PM5/19/17
to 650b
You don't use a chainring intended as an outer ring
But I do ;-)
My point was that it works fine- much easier to find 44t outers than middles I think, and TA price is good, and they look nice.
(And I also it's good to know that although TA Zephyr are rated for 10 speed, they work find with an 11 speed chain)
Cheers,
Craig

Stephen Poole

May 19, 2017, 10:50:37 PM5/19/17
to Craig Drown, 650b

11 is okay, really? My experience with 10 speed and Zephyr rings was wretched shifting. Might I ask what the other ring is and what front derailleur and shift lever you have?

Thanks,
Stephen

On 20 May 2017 12:20 pm, "Craig Drown" <cdr...@gmail.com> wrote

> (And also it's good to know that although TA Zephyr are rated for 10 speed, they work fine with an 11 speed chain)
> Cheers,
> Craig

Touko Maksimainen

Mar 28, 2021, 4:59:28 PM3/28/21
to 650b
I gather that the general consensus here is that TA's Zephyr Middle chainring is an acceptable replacement for Sugino OEM CP110S. I also understand that the ramps on the Zephyr are not as elaborate as in the original, possibly resulting in inferior shifting? Also, would the middle not have the pin that guards against chain drop on the outside? Would that be a potential safety issue?

Alex Wetmore

Mar 29, 2021, 11:46:10 AM3/29/21
to Touko Maksimainen, 650b
I've been using a Zephyr ring on OX601D cranks for the 4 years since this thread was started and haven't had shifting or drop issues.  I do a downtube lever so my shifting is friction and not indexed -- indexed systems can be sensitive.

I have OX601D cranks with Sugino rings on another bike and don't notice a difference in shifting performance between the two (both are using the same downtube shifters and similar derailleurs).

I also like old Ritchey 94mm BCD doubles for subcompact cranks, but they are hard to find, use hard to find 103mm (or shorter) square taper bottom brackets, and good rings are harder to find.  The Sugino can be a good 1x crank because you can get nice narrow-wide rings for them.  I have a couple of these that I'll probably end up putting on eBay.  I think that the Ritchey looks a lot nicer -- the Sugino is really chunky in comparison and has ugly graphics.

-Alex

Mar 29, 2021, 12:47:04 PM3/29/21
to 650b
Related to this thread, does anyone know of a good U.S. source for T.A. chainrings in the 104/64 bcd sizing? This is not for a Sugino crankset, but I've been thinking about getting a set of the T.A. Specialites Chinook rings. Peter White sells some that appear to be 9-speed specific. I'm looking for the 10/11 speed version with 18mm spider spacing. Are UK or France retailers the only option?

Eric

njh...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 12:30:44 AM4/2/21
to 650b
Both the Sugino OX801 chainset that my wife uses and the OX601 that I use have been running TA chainrings for several years with zero problems. She's running 39/26 and I'm running 42/28.

If you're looking for large 110BCD middle chainrings, look at shops that specialize in tandems or HPVs. You can get 100t chainrings if you want: http://trisled.com.au/product/100t-chainring/.

Nick

ericni...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 8:15:18 AM4/2/21
to 650b
For 110 BCD, a great choice is the Shimano CX70 chainring set. Only available in 46 outer and 36 inner. The ramps and pins on the outer are optimized to work next to a 36. I use them as the outer and middle on a triple. Best shifting triple I’ve ever used.

Eric in NH

joe...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 9:41:10 AM5/5/21
to 650b
I've got this same issue now: My 42T outer on my Sugino OX601D 42/26T is getting worn, especially after having used a chain beyond the point where it stretched.

Nobody seems to have Sugino 42T rings for the OX601D in stock any more. From my notes the 110 BCD outer (as bought from Soma Fab) is a  PE110S while the 74 BCD inner is a  74J. I'm using 11-speed STI hydro brifters (ST-R8020-L for the front) so ramps and pins are a must for the large ring while any cheap 74 BCD ring will do as a 32 or smaller inner (I already have a spare 26T for that).

I no longer see PE110S rings listed on the Sugino website. For the current OX2-901D compact-plus cranks it lists CP110S rings, available in even sizes from 44-52 only, but not 42T. Would the OX2-901D rings work on the OX601D?

It looks like 44T for OX601D/OX801D may still be available from some sources, but that would increase my tooth gap to 18T, beyond the 16T max spec of the FD-CX70 so I imagine shift quality may decrease even if it works.

Also, a 44T would raise the gear inch range of my outer by 5% which makes it slightly less usable for me (i.e. gives me a taller top gear that I won't need while forcing the occasional front shift on a climb where I could have gotten away with large-large cross chaining with a 42T).

I will buy a different source 42T if it shifts well with brifters (no bar end or downtube shifters). I will go for a 44T if I can't find a 42T as long as the 44T is available and will shift well with my FD-CX70 top pull front mech. If all else fails, I will look at replacing my crank with one that has a future-proof supply of rings (e.g. Rene Herse) and may buy a spare ring in that case to avoid being in this situation again.

Joe

satanas

May 5, 2021, 8:49:37 PM5/5/21
to 650b
The Sugino OX series road cranks never officially had an outer ring smaller than 42T. However, there was a 156mm Q MTB double with the same BCDs for a while, the ZX801D. For this crankset you could have 42 or 40T outers, combined with 28, 26 or 24T inners. Soma/Merry Sales seemed to offer these rings as options on the OX series cranks they sold.

Unfortunately, both those cranks and the rings that fit them are long extinct; I was never able to find ZX cranks in the length I wanted anywhere in the world, and have doubts they existed. I suppose it's dimly possible someone in Japan many still have rings lurking about on a shelf, but good luck tracking them down. Larger TA 110 BCD middle rings seem very hard to find at present, like everything else; I've been looking for a 42 or 38T (preferably in silver) ex-Europe with no success...

Later,
Stephen

Stephen Poole

May 5, 2021, 8:51:26 PM5/5/21
to 650b
Oops - I meant to say smaller than 44T; 42T was ZX801D only.

Orc

May 5, 2021, 11:46:03 PM5/5/21
to 650b
I must admit I am somewhat confused here;  why not get third party rings instead?   Is the additional half mm for the bolt head a showstopper?    (I run biopace alpine doubles [28/48] on most of my OX?01s and despite the rings being fairly stout never hear any interference except maybe when I'm perversely crosschaining little/little)

-david parsons

joe...@gmail.com

May 6, 2021, 2:20:20 AM5/6/21
to 650b
Checking my old Tokyo San-Esu catalog from a few years ago, I can confirm that no OX801D cranks were listed with rings smaller than 44-30. There was no 42 or 40 outer. I believe the same was true for the main Sugino website, when they still listed the OX801D. So already back then, Soma/Merry Sales was the only source I could find for the combination of cranks and sub-44 rings. Here in Japan I would have had to buy the cranks and the rings separately to get that low gearing.

Re: david parsons:  why not get third party rings instead?

I would be happy to do that if I knew what was OK to buy. Rings that  shift OK only with downtube shifters won't do it for me. I previously used a Spa Cycles touring triple with their own Zicral rings and was not happy with the shift quality with Shimano STI. I want to avoid issues with mounting the large ring on the inside of the crank, bolt lengths and sunk bolt holes, etc. or without ramps and pins for Shimano brifters or ramps and pins that are more decorative than functional.

I would be very grateful for specific 42T recommendations that are known to work well with OX-601D/OX-801D and Shimano brifters, alternatively 44T rings. I suspect the CP110S-44T meant for the new OX2-901D would also work but don't know for sure.

Joe

Orc

May 6, 2021, 12:07:22 PM5/6/21
to 650b
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:20:20 PM UTC-7 joe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Re: david parsons:  why not get third party rings instead?
> I would be happy to do that if I knew what was OK to buy. Rings that  shift OK only wit
> downtube shifters won't do it for me. I previously used a Spa Cycles touring triple with
> their own Zicral rings and was not happy with the shift quality with Shimano STI. I want
> to avoid issues with mounting the large ring on the inside of the crank, bolt lengths and
> sunk bolt holes, etc. or without ramps and pins for Shimano brifters or ramps and pins
> that are more decorative than functional.

Brifters are all I use on my dangly bikes, and even the old Biopace rings I've got (no ramps
& pins) shift for me without fuss.   As for the sunken bolt holes, mine are hidden between
the spider and the ring;  the blind side of the chicago bolt sticks out a little bit further than
they would if they could snuggle into the recess, but not (in my experience) far enough to
foul the chain when it's riding on the alpine ring.   I'd like to say I can reuse the chainring
bolts that Sugino supplied, but I've such a collection of OX?01's that I don't remember
which ones came with their own chainring bolts or not.

Shimano's offerings in 110 bcd are fairly anemic once you get away from compact double
sizes, but Sram sells more large-ring-ramped rings in the mid to high 40s  (and, at least from
a brief look at the net of a billion lies, there are a fair number of ramped & pinned mtb rings in
5-hole 110bsd.

Proof, pudding-style, with a biopace 50 and an appropriately rotated |BLACK| 34:
bio|BLACK|.jpg

-david parsons

Michael Wong

May 6, 2021, 1:48:12 PM5/6/21
to 650b
I tried several different chainrings on my Elephant. TA and Dimension both shifted fantastic. Vuelta and Origin8 were ok but not nearly as good.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/2ef917ed-0acb-4c86-9eed-b17685c056b0n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex I

May 6, 2021, 2:46:21 PM5/6/21
to 650b
I used a Spa Cycles 28 inner and a 44 ramped/pinned middle position ring on my 130/74 triple crank last year (previous thread on here about getting the middle instead of an outer as it sat on the inside of the spider, someone pointed that out to me and saved me some trouble). Shifted pretty good with Shimano 9s brifters and a CX-70 FD. Downshift of course was simple, but full disclosure: I'm in the habit of babying my upshifts a bit anyways as my other bike sports a similar 46/30 but with a flat 46 (135/74 triple), and I don't upshift the front under load the way I ride, so YMMV.

Alex in CO

Michael Wong

May 6, 2021, 7:16:34 PM5/6/21
to 650b
Joe,

Suginos are quite nice but TA rings shift fantastic. I'm not sure anything shifts at all better, except maybe matched Dura-Ace or XTR rings. I'd bet Dimension shifts as well as Sugino also.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/ce2770ab-a19c-4f72-8c67-c04f44e439cbn%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Wong

May 6, 2021, 7:24:20 PM5/6/21
to 650b
Peter white has Zephyrs. Dimension sells direct.

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:20 PM joe...@gmail.com <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "650b" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/ce2770ab-a19c-4f72-8c67-c04f44e439cbn%40googlegroups.com.

Stephen Poole

May 6, 2021, 7:47:15 PM5/6/21
to 650b
Some TA rings might shift well, but by no means will all combinations do so. The worst front shifting I've ever had - by far - was with TA rings (47x35x24T, marked "9/10 speed") on a TA Carmina crankset, and I tried at least 5 different FDs, from Shimano, Suntour and Campagnolo. FWIW, I was a pro mechanic for ~30 years but this combo just didn't want to work. Ancient (but matched) 7 speed Shimano Exage 46x36x26 rings behaved infinitely better, both sets used with a 10 speed chain.

With doubles and pinned and ramped rings, how well the shifting aids line up matters. If you use rings from a matched set, good shifting is certain, but if something else is substituted results can vary from excellent to marginal. Someone mentioned Shimano CX 46x36 rings, and with *some* Shimano sets (i.e., 4 bolt 6800) a 34T from a 50x34T pair can be happily swapped in, however randomly chosen 46x34 combos may or may not shift well, despite the presence of shifting aids on the outer ring. The "number of speeds" matters much less than correct rotational alignment IME, and flat rings can be more tolerant than fancier ones, though won't shift as well under load (or as rapidly) - not that you need to be able to do that.

The most important thing here is that if you're using anything other than a matched set of pinned and ramped rings YMMV - drastically!!!

Setup will matter too, but some combos just aren't going to shift acceptably unless your standards are low and your tolerance is high.

Caveat emptor,
Stephen

joe...@gmail.com

May 7, 2021, 4:05:01 AM5/7/21
to 650b
Thanks for all the information!

I have ordered a Spécialités TA Zephyr 110 BCD Middle ring to replace my Sugino 42T ring. I found both 40T and 42T available from various sources.

I also visited the Dimension website. They have 34, 36 and 38T available in ramped and pinned ("multispeed") 110 BCD middle, but not 40 or 42T.

I'll let you know how it works out once I've had a chance to ride it a bit!

Joe

Eric M Cardella

May 7, 2021, 10:22:54 AM5/7/21
to joe...@gmail.com, 650b
Joe,

From what source did you end up buying the T.A. rings?

Eric

On May 7, 2021, at 1:05 AM, joe...@gmail.com <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for all the information!

Alex Wetmore

May 7, 2021, 12:00:19 PM5/7/21
to Eric M Cardella, joe...@gmail.com, 650b
I'm not Joe, but I've bought TA rings from Peter White Cycles, eBay, and European stores.

I'm using a TA 42t ring on OX601D cranks and it works great.  I use downtube shifters though and not brifters.  The shifting is very smooth and I expect brifters would work well.

May 7, 2021, 12:38:12 PM5/7/21
to 650b
As Stephen says lining up the teeth can play a role. I've had a great outer chainring have the pin grab right on the center of the chain's bushing which was the worst possible spot. Not sure any chainring works then.

But some rings, won't shift well no matter what the alignment. The last Vuelta I tried a few years ago had such minimalist pins that they simply could not get purchase on the chain links.

Though as I think about it, Shimano's older MTB rings, with the huge sculpted pickups (can't really call them pins), would basically grab any chain anywhere and haul it up.

It's hard enough finding the proper rings when doing a custom config, especially if color is a consideration, so I rarely consider matching of chainring models in my selection and it can come back to bite. I've found TA have shifted amongst the best. I hope they work well for you!

Michael Wong

May 7, 2021, 12:40:40 PM5/7/21
to 650b
Another consideration is chains. I have an older 30tx94mm Cannondale chainring that shifts only so-so (pinned 30t were a bit hard to find).

I found that it would only shift a KMC chain, which had a very thin inner link bevel and allowed even my skimpy pin the grab it on a chainring upshift

Michael Wong

May 7, 2021, 12:45:00 PM5/7/21
to 650b
PPS If anyone is interested I just found a good price on rare, affordable 58mm x 26t chainring:

Ok I'll stop now XD

Craig Drown

May 17, 2021, 4:31:28 AM5/17/21
to 650b

Here’s a good source for TA rings.
https://www.bike-components.de/en/components/drivetrain/chainrings/?m66012filterManufacturer=TA
I run both 10 and 11 speed rings with 11 speed chain and cassette and can’t tell the difference.
Cheers,
Craig

joe...@gmail.com

May 17, 2021, 8:16:46 AM5/17/21
to 650b
On Friday, 7 May 2021 at 23:22:54 UTC+9 ecar...@gmail.com wrote:
Joe,

From what source did you end up buying the T.A. rings?

Eric,

After some reflection I had decided to change from 42/26 to 40/24 as those darn hills are getting steeper every year, I don't know why ;)

Wiggle in the UK had the 40T TA Zephyr in stock while a local source here in Tokyo had only the 42T. It's supposed to arrive here next week assuming nothing bad happens in the Suez...

I also ordered a new cassette. So now I just have to find myself a 74 BCD 24T as the inner and hope the shifting will work OK for that particular tooth combination. With the Sugino the front up-shifting was just OK: never super quick but it always succeeds. It just takes its part of a crank rotation and is in no hurry. As long as the TA Zephyr does at least as well I'll be happy!

I'll probably start riding the new rings in June.

Joe

joe...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2021, 3:50:33 AM6/28/21
to 650b

I had promised to post results from my Sugino compact plus rings to TA Zephyr rings upgrade.

Front shifting is absolutely perfect. It's right up there with the best Shimano setups I have ever used. That's with Ultegra 11 speed hydraulic brake brifters.

To recap, I had 42T/26T rings on my Sugino OX601D compact plus (110 BCD / 74 BCD) crank that I was running as 11-speed with STI and these were getting worn out. Sugino no longer makes those rings as they were designed for use with their discontinued ZX801D crank, even though Merry Sales also sold them with the OX601D / OX801D. The big ring is actually a middle, as it's also mounted on the inside of the spider. It has ramps and pins. The small ring doesn't need ramps and pins.

Shifting on the Sugino compact plus rings had been OK but not great. I never had any dropped chain on shifts, but the shift took some time even if I eased off during the shift.

When I replaced the Sugino rings with Specialites TA Zephyr rings I went two teeth smaller i.e. 40T/24T from 42T/26T. I could have stayed with the previous ring sizes but none of us are getting any younger and there have been more and more climbs over the past year or two that I had been walking parts of.

I bought a new set of crank bolts (Sugino part #803 for 110/74 BCD, i.e. for inners smaller than 33T) so I didn't have to worry about reusing old bolts that had been sealed with some plastic goo to prevent them from loosening. Undoing the old bolts was the hardest part of the upgrade.

I love these TA Zephyr rings!

Joe

Kevin

Apr 11, 2023, 8:24:47 PM4/11/23
to 650b
Does anyone have a source for the TA Zephyr rings? I can't seem to find the middle rings in black.

Kevin

Apr 11, 2023, 8:25:52 PM4/11/23
to 650b
sorry, 46T in black. I can find the smaller ones.

Huston

Apr 12, 2023, 12:00:20 PM4/12/23
to 650b
Kevin,

Check out Peter White Cycles: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tach.php#zephyr

Huston

Kevin

Apr 13, 2023, 8:31:09 PM4/13/23
to 650b
Thank you, Huston. I had checked with PW and while they have the 46T middle, they only have it in silver.