Brake post Extenders?

Tom Norton

Sep 17, 2017, 4:23:32 PM9/17/17
to 650b
A company, Promax, has a product that will add 16mm of adjustment to cantilever posts.
I have Miyata 610 that I converted to 700c and thought maybe these would allow me to move to 650b. So this afternoon I put 650b wheel on and took some measurements. Might work but I would bhave to scallop the brake pad to avoid tire contact.
So has anyone cracked the nut I am trying to crack without going to a frame builder?

Ian A

Sep 17, 2017, 5:42:47 PM9/17/17
to 650b
I think the extenders you refer to require replaceable cantilever posts. I went up one side of this Conundrum and down the other before finally having a frame builder do the modification of putting new posts where I wanted them.

Had my bike been built with removable posts, I would have done exactly as you describe.

IanA

Nhat Vu

Sep 17, 2017, 6:31:57 PM9/17/17
to Tom Norton, 650b
Meant to reply all.

On Sep 17, 2017 2:45 PM, "Nhat Vu" <cosm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tom,

I used these extenders to convert my litespeed to accept 650b. However, these adapters require your frame to have the removable bosses, which my ti frame has. I don't see how it would work if your frame lacks this type of canti stud/boss combo. Below are a few pics showing the adapter in use.

Cheers,
Nhat

IMG_20170303_145255.jpg
IMG_20170303_145301.jpg
IMG_20170303_145306.jpg

Adam Paiva

Sep 18, 2017, 10:00:08 AM9/18/17
to 650b
OH wow interesting. Thank you for posting.  I didn't know about this and have thought about converting my travel/gravel bike to 650b.  I think the smaller wheel might be a little help in packing into an s&s case, among other benefits.
I have Paragon removable posts so this looks like a potential option for me.  I'm going to stick the wheels in the frame and measure to see if these seem like they'd work.

Nhat - have they worked well?  You haven't noticed excessive flex that affects braking or causes lots of squealing?

On Sep 17, 2017 1:23 PM, "Tom Norton" <tnort...@gmail.com> wrote:
A company, Promax, has a product that will add 16mm of adjustment to cantilever posts.
I have  Miyata 610 that I converted to 700c and thought maybe these would allow me to move to 650b. So this afternoon I put  650b wheel on and took some measurements. Might work but I would bhave to scallop the brake pad to avoid tire contact.
So has anyone cracked the nut I am trying to crack without going to a frame builder?

Nhat Vu

Sep 18, 2017, 1:47:25 PM9/18/17
to Adam Paiva, 650b
Adam Paiva said:
Nhat - have they worked well?  You haven't noticed excessive flex that affects braking or causes lots of squealing?

Yes, the extenders have performed wonderfully well for me. I've put around 2000 miles on the bike since the conversion, mostly on dirt and gravel with some mild single tracks thrown in for good measure. I haven't noticed any flex nor brake squeal, though the latter may be highly dependent on the brakes I'm using. The TRP CX9 mini-v is pretty grabby by nature, so not much room for modulation (and possibly squeal?).

One note of caution about fitting these extenders: the bolts included in the package were a bit longer than what the bosses could accommodate and would bottom out against the seat stays before they can be fully tightened. I had to file them down a bit. So if you decide to try these extenders, proceed carefully so as not to over tighten and damage your stays.

Tobias Cockerill

May 1, 2019, 2:36:53 AM5/1/19
to 650b
Reviving this thread for a specific reason. I have a 1999 litespeed Appalachian that i’m Looking to convert to 650b. Was wondering how your conversion went, as it looks like yours is a similar frame. Specifically, whether you can fit a 650 48 or just 42? And with fenders? And how the bottom bracket drop is. Thnx!

Nhat Vu

May 1, 2019, 3:15:14 PM5/1/19
to Tobias Cockerill, 650b
I now have over 8K miles on mine after the 650b conversion, and everything has been great. I had to re-tighten the brake bolts once, and that was it.

In terms of tires, I've only ran ones specced 584x42, including Soma Cazaderos, WTB Resolutes, and RH Babyshoes. The Somas measured the widest at 43mm due to the knobs, and I used Pacenti SL23 (i19, external 23mm?). I don't think you can go wider than 42-44mm range (see image below).

Regarding BB height, the conversion dropped the height to around 260mm. I viewed this as a benefit, since I prefer lower BB height and rarely pedal around corners. The few pedal strikes I had was while climbing single tracks with skull-sized rocks. Some were intentional at very low speed just to see what it would be like!

There is enough room in the radial direction (e.g. above the tires) for fenders, but not a lot on the sides. I didn't use fenders on this bike (fair weather only).

I hope this helps.
Nhat

IMG_20170303_150114.jpg