Opinion on front load setup

David Madina

Dec 12, 2017, 12:09:21 AM12/12/17
to 650b
Hello-

Currently running an acorn bag (sans Decaleur) setup on my elephant nfe... with swift industries having a 20% off sale on their sugarloaf bags, I’m tempted to make the switch. Anyone have any opinions on what’s the better setup? Currently using the bike as a commuter and, with new bike excitement, my weekend mixed road rides. Thanks.

rcnute

Dec 12, 2017, 12:15:22 AM12/12/17
to 650b
Messenger bag and bungee cord or net do it for me in terms of bag in a basket. That Sugarloaf looks real nice though.

Ryan

William Lindsay

Dec 12, 2017, 12:41:25 AM12/12/17
to 650b
Thanks for the heads up.  I've been wanting a SugarLoaf for a while.  That 20% discount made me pull the trigger.

Philip Kim

Dec 12, 2017, 9:25:17 AM12/12/17
to 650b
it depends on how much you're bringing.

i had a basket set up for awhile with the riv sackville. i was bringing my office clothes, etc commuting. however, i found it was a bit too much space. when going around bars, i just needed to bring a u lock and it would clunk around in the basket. this was generally the case if i didn't pack enough in general - the contents would just rattle inside.

also parking the bike rack was a bit of a hassle if there were already a lot of bikes locked up, as the basket is in the way.

now i have a rando bag set up, since i keep my office clothes at work. so i just bring my lunch, some toiletries and a small towel.

if i go to a bar, i just bring a bungee cable, and bungee the u-lock right on top the rando rack.

i have a rando bag from ruthworks that is just the right size - compact, but big enough to be able to haul some groceries if need be.

I would highly recommend a decaleur set up if you stay rando. it makes the bag much more secure. it eliminates the need to use the bottom straps (which I feel take the most time). just need make sure the back slips into the tombstone while you put the decaleur in. i would also recommend shoulder straps, makes carrying your bag around much easier.

Jeremy Tavan

Dec 12, 2017, 12:19:27 PM12/12/17
to 650b
I absolutely love the Sugarloaf bag from Swift, and own two of them. With the sale on I'm considering a third, but there are so many nice basket bags out there that I may opt for variety instead. The Swift bag is expensive, but has lots of useful pockets for a commuter type setup. It's a lot more construction labor than a simple roll-top bag with a clip or two. I fit two small laptops in mine, plus assorted electronics, chargers, and a compact change of clothes in it. It's a tight squeeze, but works. When strapped on to the basket it's rock solid.

/Jeremy

Alex Wetmore

Dec 12, 2017, 12:52:53 PM12/12/17
to David Madina, 650b

Thanks for mentioning the sale, I've been wanting one of these for my fiance's bike.

The Sugarloaf looks like one of the better non-decaleur setups in terms of quick and easy removal.  I do wish that they had at least one picture online showing how well it wears with the shoulder strap.

alex

Currently running an acorn bag (sans Decaleur) setup on my elephant nfe... with swift industries having a 20% off sale on their sugarloaf bags, I’m tempted to make the switch. Anyone have any opinions on what’s the better setup? Currently using the bike as a commuter and, with new bike excitement, my weekend mixed road rides. Thanks.

William Harrison

Dec 13, 2017, 4:18:10 PM12/13/17
to 650b
I agree.  This is something I care about more than anything else with a bag.  If I can't comfortably carry a bag then I can't see it as very useful.  I don't understand why more rack/basket bags aren't made with truly functional shoulder straps or, even better, backpack straps.  Seems obvious to me, and it's being done with panniers all over the place.