Braking issues

Luc D

Feb 1, 2018, 4:49:30 AM2/1/18
to 650b
Hello there,

I am havin some braking issues with my 650b conversion.

tektro r539 brakes / jagwire pads on mach 1 combo 650b rims

dia compe mx101 levers and compressionless cables

On the back, all is well.

On the front, the braking is very poor.

Rim surface is clean, the pads are new.

The pad are at very boomt of the brake slots, and there is A LOT of flex and tyre rub.

Fair weather is OK, in the rain things are sketchy.

Someone has alreay experienced this issue?

Andy Bailey Goodell

Feb 1, 2018, 9:18:00 AM2/1/18
to 650b
If there's tire rub, sounds like you need to adjust it. Possibly needing longer reach brakes, an offset shoe, or file out another millimeter of space if the brake allows for it.

Andy

Phil B

Feb 1, 2018, 11:32:31 AM2/1/18
to 650b
Hey Luc - I’ve had the best luck with R556 calipers for all of my 700c to 650B conversions. The reach is about 2cm longer than the r539’s 47-57 reach as stated on the Niagara website.  It’s not unusual for the rear to require less reach IME.  You may want to go to the R556 or the newer R559 with up to 55-73mm of reach for the front.  These brakes will have a lot of flex so it’s important to use good quality shoes and proper setup to achieve what some people consider an inferior performing brake experience.  I replace my calipers every few seasons thinking the newer brake might have less flex but YMMV.
I also have the best of luck with the Kool Stop all salmon colored brake shoes, but can’t compare them to what you’re using since I have no experience with the jagwires.

Good luck.

Phil B

Brad

Mar 15, 2018, 6:45:22 PM3/15/18
to 650b
You may want to find a single Mafac Raid for the front.  It would make you very happy.  The front takes most of the load when braking.  Leave the sidepull on the back.  Be different.

Peter Adler

Mar 15, 2018, 7:22:02 PM3/15/18
to 650b
...or a Weinmann/Dia-Compe 750, in the event that you can't get your hands on a Mafac Raid.

Peter Adler
Berkeley, California