48mm tires with centerpull brakes and fenders?

Reed Kennedy

Feb 15, 2017, 8:08:43 PM2/15/17
to 650b
Has anyone tried running the Compass Switchback Hill 650B x 48mm tires with centerpull brakes and fenders? How did the clearances work out? What brake did you use?

The longest reach centerpull brakes I've been able to find give 75-80mm, and I'm not sure that's enough.

Best,
Reed

Mark Bulgier

Feb 15, 2017, 10:09:52 PM2/15/17
to 650b
Haven't tried it, so hopefully someone will report in with actual real-world experience.  But just sitting here thinking about it,  I'd say probably yes., especially if you are using wide rims and can choose where the brake pivot braze-ons go.

Mark Bulgier

Feb 15, 2017, 10:21:35 PM2/15/17
to 650b
[Sorry, accidentally hit Send before ready]

Haven't tried it, so hopefully someone will report in with actual real-world experience.  But just sitting here thinking about it,  I'd say probably yes, especially if you are using wide rims and can choose where the brake pivot braze-ons go. Using the bolt on back bridge with the pivots built in gives you less control over where the brake goes.

One of the limiting factors is how wide the pads can open to let the wheel out. I measure 47 mm for my RAID brake with stock pads all the way down in the slot -- that should let a 48 mm tire out with a little brute force.  A soft low-pressure tire can squeeze through that space easily I'll bet.

As to height, a RAID isn't maxed out with 42 mm tires and generous fender clearance, so I'll guess that a tire 6 mm taller will still fit OK, with maybe less generous clearance.

Mark Bulgier
Seattle

David Banzer

Feb 16, 2017, 9:42:14 AM2/16/17
to 650b
I'm running SKS fenders over WTB Horizon tires with Dia Compe centerpulls - brake pads are toward the bottom of slots.
The Horizons are around 44m/45mm actual, so a little smaller than Switchback Hills.
Works fine, appropriate clearances. Definitely do-able with 2-3mm larger tire.
David
River Grove, IL

Philip Kim

Feb 16, 2017, 10:37:09 AM2/16/17
to 650b
got norther custom coming in the next couple of weeks. fitted to have paul brazeons and i have a pair of SBH laying around.  i'll try to put them on under fenders and let the list know.

Daniel Jackson

Feb 16, 2017, 6:33:16 PM2/16/17
to 650b
I eagerly await your report. Thanks Philip

Reed Kennedy

Feb 17, 2017, 12:49:26 PM2/17/17
to Philip Kim, 650b
Thanks Mark and David, and Philip, I'm excited to hear what you find!

I'm 6'3 and 205lbs, so I end up running 40psi front / 45psi rear on 42mm tires. I know lighter folks are able to run with those pressures on 38mm or even 35mm tires!

I'm hoping that if I can scale up the tires to match my largeness I can get both tires sub-40psi, and I'd really rather stick with rim brakes.

Reed

Philip Kim

Feb 17, 2017, 1:03:16 PM2/17/17
to 650b, phili...@gmail.com
set up SBH tubeless on cliffhangers with a 25internal 30 external width. casing is at 50mm at 40psi. On the pacenti brevet rims with 19mm internal width. they are 47mm tubeless.

Velocity Synergies which are 23mm external width (not sure internal width), they measure 45mm with tubes at 40psi

I don't think SBH will work with fenders under my Paul Centerpull with a width between posts at 54mm, width more than height being the issue. I also have a pair of WTB horizons I plan on using. I'll see how they mount up.

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:08:43 PM UTC-5, Reed Kennedy wrote:
Has anyone tried running the Compass Switchback Hill 650B x 48mm tires with centerpull brakes and fenders? How did the clearances work out? What brake did you use?

The longest reach centerpull brakes I've been able to find give 75-80mm, and I'm not sure that's enough.

Best,
Reed

Reed Kennedy

Feb 17, 2017, 1:14:00 PM2/17/17
to Philip Kim, 650b
Thanks for the testing and information Philip! From what you've said, it sounds like SBHs and fenders might work with slightly wider seat stays and centerpull brazeons?

I think I might just drop Mike Kone a line and see if he's got any thoughts on this...

Best,
Reed

Philip Kim

Feb 17, 2017, 1:15:24 PM2/17/17
to Reed Kennedy, 650b
Reed, I wouldn't know.  I've only ever had Paul Racers, myself. Mike kone would be an excellent resource. I think even better would be good ol' cantis.

Daniel Jackson

Feb 17, 2017, 2:10:23 PM2/17/17
to 650b
Reed,

Please let us know what Mike says.

Philip, thanks for all this good information.

mitch....@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2017, 2:32:39 PM2/17/17
to 650b
My Boulder with brazed Raids and 62mm Honjos has lots of clearance over BSP ELs that are about 40mm actual on A23s. 48mm Switch Back Hills wouldn't fit but only because the fenders are mildly crimped at crown, seatstay, chainstay, taking the side-to-side space a 48 would need.

--Mitch

Mark Bulgier

Feb 17, 2017, 3:11:02 PM2/17/17
to 650b
So Mitch is it fair to say that it is your frame and fork that don't allow SBH -- nothing to do with the Raid brakes?

-Mark

Ryan Watson

Feb 17, 2017, 3:48:15 PM2/17/17
to Mark Bulgier, 650b
FYI: I just tried to put a front Switchback Hill on my Rambler with MAFAC Raids and VO Zeppelin fenders. Since I had optimized the fender placement for Hetres, the Switchbacks rubbed slightly on the underside of the fenders, but I'm pretty sure it would be no problem if I refit the fenders to sit a few mm higher. Brake clearance wouldn't be an issue.

Ryan

Reed Kennedy

Feb 17, 2017, 3:58:22 PM2/17/17
to Ryan Watson, Mark Bulgier, 650b
Great news Ryan, thanks so much for giving that a shot!

It sounds like my dream of a scaled-up BQ-style rando bike might be possible after all. Time to talk to a frame builder!

Reed

Mitch wrote:
My Boulder with brazed Raids and 62mm Honjos has lots of clearance over BSP ELs that are about 40mm actual on A23s. 48mm Switch Back Hills wouldn't fit but only because the fenders are mildly crimped at crown, seatstay, chainstay, taking the side-to-side space a 48 would need.

satanas

Feb 17, 2017, 4:00:34 PM2/17/17
to 650b
Thanks Philip. Please keep the data coming everyone. (Cantis are looking like the go for me, unfortunately.)

Later,
Stephen

Reed Kennedy

Feb 17, 2017, 4:10:35 PM2/17/17
to satanas, 650b
Just came across something interesting on the Fitz Cycles facebook page: Photos of a bike he built with 48mm tires and braised on centerpull brakes!

Looks doable to me, but only just. Looking at that last picture I can't imagine running a larger tire.

Reed

Lee Legrand

Feb 17, 2017, 4:24:59 PM2/17/17
to Reed Kennedy, satanas, 650b
Hi Reed,

This topic has come up before and if I remember correctly William DeRosset put them on his bicycle with Mafac RAID centerpulls and he got them to work.  One thing to note is that Jan Heine does not recommend this since the clearance between tires and fenders can cause something to get stuck and cause the bicycle to flip over.  I forget what is the clearance he recommends but the 48 allows less than what he feels is safe.

mitch....@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2017, 4:27:04 PM2/17/17
to 650b
Yes, thanks Mark, that's probably true because the chainstay requires fender crimping too on 62mm Honjos. The wide fenders don't quite fit up into the Raid arch without minor crimping though, so SBH might work with narrower, shallower valance fenders that fit up into the brakes without crimp (and if I kept the fenders above the chainstays). I prefer wide fenders with deep valance, but on another bike I have good fit with 45mm VO fenders with BSPs and Mafac Racers. So using a shallow valance fender not much wider than the tire can work. If that combination worked, then a similar valance 55mm fender might fit SBH and Raids assuming the frame doesn't add a chainstay bottleneck.

--Mitch

njh...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2017, 6:25:12 AM2/18/17
to 650b
If you used direct mount u-brakes it should work no problem. Our touring tandem uses Deore XT u-brakes, and we run 26x2.1" tyres plus mudguards with at least 10mm clearance between tyre and mudguard.

Stephen Poole

Feb 18, 2017, 6:56:15 AM2/18/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com

So it looks like SBHs are doable with some sort of fenders plus Raids or Compass brakes. Paul Racers use different boss spacing, bulkier springs/pivots and the reach might be a bit less too IIRC(?).

One wonders what would happen with TBs or similar tyres with corner knobs. I presume fenders are no go, but wonder if the tyres would foul the calipers.

Perhaps it might be worth reviving rollercams or U brakes for these sorts of bikes? Or just stick with cantis...

Later,
Stephen

Justin Hughes

Feb 18, 2017, 10:17:30 AM2/18/17
to 650b
Yeah, I really think for this tire size with adequate fender gap cantilevers make the most sense. Things are gonna be tight with fenders. I'm having a bike built around SBH/Thunderburts with fenders or 2.25" without. There are a lot of great tires between in these sizes these days. As a songwriter I really dig wrote, "It's a great day to be alive."

Patch T

Jul 6, 2017, 1:49:35 PM7/6/17
to 650b
Hey All,

Bringing this up again.

Has anyone had any further experience or additional insight with this configuration? Fenders?

I am in queue with Bantam and am leaning towards a tire width range of 42-48mm. While cantilevers seem to remain the best choice for rim brakes, I'm still curious. Especially considering I can choose where the posts go...

Thanks
Patch

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2017, 1:54:37 PM7/6/17
to Patch T, 650b
Just fun an cool , no need to sweat it ( your a grown man ) pick one an enjoy..

Sent from my iPhone

Reed Kennedy

Jul 6, 2017, 3:32:51 PM7/6/17
to Patch T, 650b
Patch,

John at Fitz Cycles is currently building me a frame for 48mm SBH tires with Compass 62mm smooth 650B fenders and Compass centerpull brakes.

Here's the full build list:

It should be done in the next month or so. Will share more when I know more!

Best,
Reed

Thomas Smith

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2017, 6:13:01 PM7/6/17
to Thomas Smith, 650b, ptro...@gmail.com
That is a great list- an good fun all around ..

Sent from my iPhone
Message has been deleted

Thomas Smith

Jul 6, 2017, 10:51:15 PM7/6/17
to 650b, ptro...@gmail.com
I think it involves more than just "pick one and enjoy." If he picks centerpulls (which it seems he would prefer) and 48mm tires with fenders, he'll need to work with his builder to ensure adequate clearances. The consequences of inadequate clearance are severe enough that it definitely should involve careful thought and choice, even for grown men.

-tom

Stephen Poole

Jul 6, 2017, 11:12:51 PM7/6/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com

Cantilevers will definitely work. Centrepulls may be able to be made to work, but will end up near maximum reach, thus lowering brake MA; clearance may or may not be adequate, depending on one's viewpoint.

Cantis are the safe solution here, and can provide both much more clearance and more powerful brakes. Lots of people seem to detest cantis for various reasons though, but maybe once the Compass cantis become available this resistance will magically decline, since the branding and higher cost may legitimise them.

IMHO, cantis or discs are the sensible choices here - assuming performance is what counts - but speccing bikes has at least as much to do with religious levels of fanaticism about retro aestetics and anti-modernism as anything else.  :-(

Lee Legrand

Jul 6, 2017, 11:33:48 PM7/6/17
to Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reed,

That will be a sweet bicycle when it is all done.  Be sure to post pics.  Not sure about the 48mm tires and centerpull brakes.  What I did read on BQ blog is that you should have 6mm clearance around tire.  I did calculations some time back and you exceed the minimum clearance between the post but above for the fender, that could be an issue and a frame builder would know better if it is do able or not.

Good Luck

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2017, 11:59:25 PM7/6/17
to Thomas Smith, 650b, ptro...@gmail.com
No it really doesn't , one pick begets the other effort , very simple very easy.. Not much extra work by either party..I have had ten or so custom bikes built over the years., not hard. Cheers , Allan

Sent from my iPhone

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2017, 12:01:23 AM7/7/17
to Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Oh sure Steve why don't you just kill all the lug makers while your at it:):)- haha.,

Sent from my iPhone

desmond...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2017, 12:02:35 AM7/7/17
to Daniel Jackson, 650b, ptro...@gmail.com
See grown men making a choice:)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2017, at 6:42 PM, Daniel Jackson <daniel.se...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, it will be an awesome bike. I'm having the same bike built, but by Bob at Bantam who said the combination of centerpulls (Compass or Paul) and 48s with fenders could not be done. Cantis for me...

Goes to show the builder sure matters.

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 3:32:51 PM UTC-4, Reed Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Patch T

Jul 7, 2017, 11:37:23 AM7/7/17
to 650b, ptro...@gmail.com
Reed, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing and hearing about this build.

Reed Kennedy

Jul 7, 2017, 5:25:57 PM7/7/17
to Stephen Poole, 650b
Stephen,

You're certainly right. I am doing something not-recommended that may not work out, mainly as a flight of fancy. It my well bite me in the butt.

Cantilevers would have been the sane and reasonable solution. Unfortunately, I just plain don't like 'em much. I've currently got two bikes with cantis and two with centerpulls, and the all-elusive "feel" of the centerpulls makes me happy, while the cantis never please me quite as much, no matter how much I meddle with them. I can't really justify or explain this impression, but it is consistent and reliable for me. I wish it weren't.

This here is a "dream bike" and one of the things about dreams is, well, they don't always make sense. We'll see if I get away with it or not.

To everyone else: If you can learn to love cantilevers, I suggest you do so!

Best,
Reed

Reed Kennedy

Jul 7, 2017, 5:29:21 PM7/7/17
to Lee Legrand, Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lee, good information, thanks! I'll admit that I didn't do much research on this myself. I asked three builders I respect and two said they could do it, so I assumed it was possible (if difficult) based on their word. (For the record, the third builder never got back to me.)

Could you explain a little further what you mean by "clearance between the post but above for the fender"? I can't quite picture it. Do you mean the centerpull braze-on posts? Do you fear there won't be clearance at the top of the tire? Or at the sides?

Best,
Reed

Lee Legrand

Jul 7, 2017, 11:34:15 PM7/7/17
to Reed Kennedy, Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reed,

A couple of months or weeks ago, I took out a pair of MAFAC RAID centerpulls that I had and went to this website https://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/mafac-dia-compe-paul-centerpull-brake-specs/, to compare measurements.   Anyway, your question is not the first time it has been brought up so what I did was measure the width of the post of my centerpulls, compared them to the website measures and determine that the side widths are adequate for 48mm.  Jan Heine centerpulls are modeled after MAFAC RAID Centerpulls and has stated on his website that the original design for the brakes were for optimized for 42mm balloon tires but he recommends as a caution to have 6mm of clearance.  The only issue I could not determine was if a fender was added to the bicycle, can the 6 mm clearance be had as well.  That is why I said, talk to the builder because it may be an issue.  Although, I have seen one person with centerpull brakes with SBH tires but his clearance was very tight with fenders.

Harold Bielstein

Jul 8, 2017, 12:30:59 AM7/8/17
to Lee Legrand, Reed Kennedy, Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Six (6) mm of vertical clearance between top of tire and underside of the fender is not enough. Consider that a daruma's (if that's how the fender is secured to the crown)  nylock will take up at least 5 mm of available clearance so getting anything to pass thru the fender may put you in a dangerous situation.

Sent from Hal's iPad

On Jul 7, 2017, at 9:34 PM, Lee Legrand <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Poole

Jul 8, 2017, 1:16:13 AM7/8/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com

Maybe 6mm of lateral clearance between the brake arm and tyre was what was meant? IMHO that should be enough, very sticky mud excepted.

Also, FWIW, though I wouldn't want to have anywhere near as little as 6mm between the fender and tyre with wide tyres and possible dirt road use, with narrow high pressure tyres, for road use *only* very tight clearance can be fine. I think I had ~4-5mm on the Allez back in 1991 with no issues; no darumas though.

Re centrepulls versus cantis: I actually much prefer the feel of dual-pivot sidepulls (or hydraulic discs), but cantis do the job and rarely feel weird or spongy. My experiences with centrepulls have been either zero mechanical advantage (Mafac or Universal with stock levers), or totally spongy (everything else). Cantis rarely feel amazing - though the ones on my Tony Oliver audax are close - but have always done the job for me.

My 650b Plan A was to use cantis and a Pacenti MTB crown, allowing tyres up to at least 60mm width - not possible with centrepulls unless one counts U brakes. Plan B is now Shimano hydros (if the bits ever become available), and a lighter frame and fork with room for 54mm max.

Later,
Stephen

Lee Legrand

Jul 8, 2017, 9:30:28 AM7/8/17
to Stephen Poole, 65...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harold,

I think a good frame builder should tell you that.  I have no experience with centerpulls or with fenders being that close to a tire  but of course, if you can exceed 6mm, it wont hurt.  Maybe he was speaking more of road use of the bicycle and not necessarily mud or dirt riding use although, what you mention does bring light of such low clearance may cause a problem when riding in those conditions.  What is Daruma's?

Thomas Smith

Jul 8, 2017, 11:55:15 AM7/8/17
to 650b, krm...@gmail.com, nsc.e...@gmail.com
Reed--maybe if you go with the centepull+fender+48mm tire route, you might install something like the PDW safety tabs as an insurance measure?

Also, I seem to remember reading that the location of the fender stay eyelets on the fork blades was important. Just curious--are your eyelets mounted mid-fork-blade, or near the dropouts?

-tom

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:12 PM, Stephen Poole <nsc.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cantilevers will definitely work. Centrepulls may be able to be made to work, but will end up near maximum reach, thus lowering brake MA; clearance may or may not be adequate, depending on one's viewpoint.

Cantis are the safe solution here, and can provide both much more clearance and more powerful brakes. Lots of people seem to detest cantis for various reasons though, but maybe once the Compass cantis become available this resistance will magically decline, since the branding and higher cost may legitimise them.

IMHO, cantis or discs are the sensible choices here - assuming performance is what counts - but speccing bikes has at least as much to do with religious levels of fanaticism about retro aestetics and anti-modernism as anything else.  :-(

Thomas Smith

Jul 8, 2017, 11:57:00 AM7/8/17
to 650b
Stephen--under your Plan B, won't the Shimano hydraulic brakes necessitate a heavier fork?

-tom

Stephen Poole

Jul 8, 2017, 1:26:14 PM7/8/17
to Thomas Smith, 650b

Nope - carbon, so lighter. Won't flex as much as steel but with ~48mm tyres this shouldn't be a problem. Discs also allow lighter rims and seatstays, so on balance it should work out better. If the fork ends up being too stiff for comfort, one of these might fix that:

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

It's all trade-offs, and in my case the logistics are simpler for a Ti frame than for steel; it's complicated.

Peter Turskovitch

Jul 18, 2017, 8:04:41 AM7/18/17
to 650b

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 5:12:51 AM UTC+2, satanas wrote:
 Lots of people seem to detest cantis for various reasons though, but maybe once the Compass cantis become available this resistance will magically decline, since the branding and higher cost may legitimise them.

IMHO, cantis or discs are the sensible choices here - assuming performance is what counts - but speccing bikes has at least as much to do with religious levels of fanaticism about retro aestetics and anti-modernism as anything else.  :-(

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm waiting for the compass V-brakes, myself. Maybe then my buddies will finally appreciate my use of these excellent brakes instead of thinking that I'm cheap and ignorant.

Lee Legrand

Jul 18, 2017, 11:29:20 AM7/18/17
to Peter Turskovitch, 650b
V-brakes?

Reed Kennedy

Jul 18, 2017, 2:45:07 PM7/18/17
to Lee Legrand, Peter Turskovitch, 650b
Gee whiz folks, can't you like the brakes you like even if other people don't validate your choice?

I've had some great times on cantis. I've had some great times on v-brakes. Heck, I've had some pretty dang good times with coaster brakes, laying rubber down on steep suburban streets.

The bike I started this thread about is my first custom. And heck, if a custom isn't about having things your way even if your way ain't reasonable... What is?

Once it exists I'll post impressions and photos and stuff. Hopefully others can learn from my example, one way or another.

To everyone who has already found their own personal brake nirvana: High five! I salute you!

Reed

Steve Chan

Jul 19, 2017, 12:37:25 AM7/19/17
to Peter Turskovitch, 650b
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:04 AM, Peter Turskovitch <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm waiting for the compass V-brakes, myself. Maybe then my buddies will finally appreciate my use of these excellent brakes instead of thinking that I'm cheap and ignorant.

   I am totally holding out for Compass Coaster brakes, though its still unclear if my imagined coaster brake bike is Bobish or not:

"Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow an action, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, reap a destiny." - Samuel Smiles

Lee Legrand

Jul 19, 2017, 1:15:57 PM7/19/17
to Peter Turskovitch, 650b
I have no problem with any kind of brakes, do not know where Peter is getting his information about Compass producing V-brakes in the future.

Philip Kim

Steve Palincsar

Jul 19, 2017, 1:28:35 PM7/19/17
to 65...@googlegroups.com

No, he's just being sarcastic.

Philip Kim

Jul 19, 2017, 2:20:35 PM7/19/17
to 650b
ahh, thnx steve i did not catch that the first time around.

Dan Vee

Jul 26, 2020, 10:10:40 PM7/26/20
to 650b
Hey! I know this is an old thread but I’m wondering how that worked out for the OP in the end as I was thinking about doing the same