Sealed bearing hub set for under $100?

Igor Belopolsky

Nov 27, 2016, 4:47:29 PM11/27/16
to 650b
Any exist? There's actually a hubset on BikeHubStore in gray for under $100 that I am thinking about, but was hoping for silver to lace up to a pair of A23 rims..

Alternatively, maybe I'll go with a Schmidt 28 up front in which case suggestions for just a rear? 8/9/10 Shimano

Paul Sherman

Nov 27, 2016, 5:44:21 PM11/27/16
to 650b
I've gotta a Novatec F172 laced to a polished A23. They look good together IMO and I believe the hubs use sealed cartridge bearings. Ordered from here:

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/novatec-hubs-a171-front-f172-rear-f272-rear-black-or-silver-24h-28h-32h-36h

Free shipping over £60, which is conveniently right around what a F/R set would cost you. Not a lot of miles on them yet but I've been happy with them so far.

Paul
Pasadena, CA

Paul Sherman

Nov 27, 2016, 5:48:33 PM11/27/16
to 650b
PS - I forgot to mention that those are 11s hubs and require a spacer (included) to run 8/9/10. I didn't read that bit and had to look high and low for the spacer when my cassette didn't fit right.

Paul

Jim Bronson

Nov 28, 2016, 12:49:58 PM11/28/16
to Paul Sherman, 650b
Those look fantastic!

And if the bearings are rubbish, you can certainly replace sealed bearing sets with something else.

Philip Kim

Nov 28, 2016, 2:36:40 PM11/28/16
to 650b
the bikehubstore hubs are super nice for the price. spin very well. have had two sets.

Jim Bronson

Nov 28, 2016, 3:57:13 PM11/28/16
to Philip Kim, 650b
No 36H in the less expensive hubs.

Igor Belopolsky

Jeffrey Kane

Nov 29, 2016, 10:44:56 AM11/29/16
to 650b
Phillip -- which bikehubstore rear hubs have you used, specifically. And -- how do the run noise-wise: Shimano quiet or Chris King buzzy (?)

Igor Belopolsky

Nov 29, 2016, 11:02:06 AM11/29/16
to 650b
Don't know but I imagine these - http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL210-p/sl210.htm . These are what Weigle uses on his wheelbuilds.

Philip Kim

Nov 29, 2016, 11:07:44 AM11/29/16
to 650b
My first pair of 650b wheels used SL210 and F125. My LBS build the rest of the wheels and were surprised how smooth it spun and asked me where I got it.

Second pair used rear SL210 and SP front hub from a fellow lister. Works great. I've always used the 32h, and I'm 155lb. I front load close to 10-15 pounds. I wouldn't hesitate to put a light weekend camping load. Not sure if I'd tour with them though.

Noise-wise they are definitely louder than shimano, but not as loud as chris king wheelset I've had before. The Chris Kings are very distinct and very loud.

Bikehubstore is great to work with, and getting the WI T11 rear hub for my upcoming custom. I would happily put the SL210s again, but doing it just because. I've never tried a WI hub but I've heard great things. I also don't expect the WI hub to be almost 4 times better than the bikehubstore.

Justin Hughes

Nov 30, 2016, 12:28:03 PM11/30/16
to 650b
Can anyone confirm if the BHS "Shimano 10/11" freehub fits a ROAD 11s cassette or is this the 8/9/10 "but you can fit a DynaSys 11s cassette" situation?

Igor Belopolsky

Nov 30, 2016, 1:28:43 PM11/30/16
to 650b
Not sure, but shoot them an email, they've been quick to respond..

Philip Kim

Nov 30, 2016, 1:43:25 PM11/30/16
to 650b
i'm pretty sure it's an actual 10/11, they include a spacer for 8-10 speed. their older versions were 8-10 speed freehubs.