Kenda Koast (Or other 38mm black wall option)

Jamie Biver

Aug 25, 2016, 3:50:29 AM8/25/16
to 650b
Has anyone ridden Kenda Koast's?

I'm looking for a good 38mm all black option.

Currently running Panaracer RIBMo's. They seem a bit heavy and slow compared to my 700x28 bike. Also, I'm a bit displeased at how out of round they seem. The rear has a several mm of side to side movement, that made it difficult to center the wheel in the chain stays. They measured 36-37mm when I first mounted them. My chain stays are at 42mm if I remember correctly. The side to side movement left me with about 1mm to spare. The front is better, but I can feel it pulse on really smooth pavement.

The Pari-Moto looked like it was going to be great, but wouldn't fit in the end. I'm not sure why, but my rear expanded to 40+mm, with a slight bulge to one side before I could even get a ride in. The front tire stayed pretty close to 38mm. The pressures were 60 and 65 psi, mounted on Dyads. Not sure if it was a bad casing, or bad luck. Either way, back to the seller.

Here are the 3 that I'm currently considering:

The Kenda Koast - seems interesting, but there isn't much info about it. I'd have to buy on eBay from an AU seller, so a little leg work seems in order.
Maxxis Detonator - The numbers look pretty similar to the RIBMo's. Available from a local eBay seller.
Schwalbe G-One - a bit spendy and I've seen it listed as both 38 and 40mm.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott Henry

Aug 25, 2016, 8:25:56 AM8/25/16
to Jamie Biver, 650b

Not a lot of help from me.   I did look on the Kenda website and they dont seem to sell the Koast anymore.   That means either discontinued or it was an OEM tire.      Either way, from memory, its a heavy stiff tire.    You can find better.

Justin August

Aug 25, 2016, 9:04:16 AM8/25/16
to 650b
60 to 65 PSI is distorting your tires and perhaps may even be dangerous. I would drop those pressures according to your weight and load. For reference I'm 5'11", 170-175lbs with 10lbs of gear on my bike at most and I have my 650b X 42 tires at 33/35psi front/rear. I know that many folks new to fat n wide enjoy the rode feel of high pressures but in your case it sounds like they may be distorting your tires and causing your problems.

-Justin

Chris Cullum

Aug 25, 2016, 9:16:33 AM8/25/16
to Jamie Biver, 650b

RIBMo is an awful name for a tire. I know it's an acronym but still it sounds like it should be a condom. Soma B-line and Panaracer Pasela in 38mm are less armoured versions that both seem to be slightly undersized.

I didn't know that Maxxis made the Detonator in 650B. That's also a terrible name for a tire, but it would a much worse name for a condom.

Jim Bronson

Aug 25, 2016, 10:19:09 AM8/25/16
to Jamie Biver, 650b

Louploup Pass ultralight are available in blackwall but they are expensive.

I run the non ultralight but they only come in tan sidewalls.

I weigh 275 and i only use 50psi.  You don't need 60/65.

Some 650b rims are hard to mount tires straight on,  that's probably your issue with the PariMotos.

The earlier version PariMoto ran 38mm true on my Soma rims but were extremely flat prone.

Andrew Patteson

Aug 26, 2016, 12:39:11 AM8/26/16
to 650b, jdean...@gmail.com

I didn't know that Maxxis made the Detonator in 650B. That's also a terrible name for a tire, but it would a much worse name for a condom.

LOL, thank you.