WTB rims

Mark Swier

May 24, 2017, 11:29:49 AM5/24/17
to 650b
Hi all,
I'm in the planning stages of a budget / "gateway" 650b build for my little brother, looking to serve him some of this koolaid.

I have a Fuji Monterey frame on deck and I'm pulling components together, but still looking to score a set of hoops on the cheap.

I was planning to go with the xxcycle ambrosio keba rimset but it seems they want 100Euro for shipping (!)   I've had luck previously scoring closeout rims from Kirk Pacenti but his website seems to be down.

So if you have a decent set of rims laying around that you'd be willing to let go for <100 or thereabouts I'd be interested.  36H rear and 32 or 36H front would be ideal.  Will be running Pari-Moto 38 or 42s.

Thanks!

Mark Swier
Brooklyn NY

franklyn

May 24, 2017, 11:49:02 AM5/24/17
to 650b
Hi, Mark,

Inexpensive rim-brake rims are hard to find. If you don't get any response from the group, you may consider the infamous Weinmann Zac19 rims. You can find them fairly inexpensively online. They are strong, if not slightly hefty (though not nearly as hefty as Keba or Cliffhangers, but certainly heavier than A23 and Pacentis). The ones I work with (and I built 2 sets of them in the past year) require fiddling with soup/talc powder and thick rim tapes to get the tires on evenly.

Hope this helps,
Franklyn

David Parsons

May 24, 2017, 12:41:42 PM5/24/17
to 650b

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:49:02 AM UTC-7, franklyn wrote:
Hi, Mark,

Inexpensive rim-brake rims are hard to find. If you don't get any response from the group, you may consider the infamous Weinmann Zac19 rims. You can find them fairly inexpensively online. They are strong, if not slightly hefty (though not nearly as hefty as Keba or Cliffhangers, but certainly heavier than A23 and Pacentis). The ones I work with (and I built 2 sets of them in the past year) require fiddling with soup/talc powder and thick rim tapes to get the tires on evenly.

They're heavier than the SL23 & A23, but still under 480gm.   +1 on on the tire fiddling;  I find that the former official rando tire of the PNW (the GB Hetre) and the Nokian A10 go on evenly without fuss, but Pari-Motos need the soap/talc treatment to properly seat.   I suspect that, like the "650b" cr18, they're closer to 700d than 650b.

Arvi Sreenivasan

May 24, 2017, 4:05:22 PM5/24/17
to 650b
Hi. I have a set of Pacenti SL23 (v1) laced to Ultegra 6800 hubs with DT double butted spokes. Built and never ridden or even had tires mounted. Any interested in those? If so I can send photos (I've been meaning to post for sale to this list, but hadn't got around to it...).

-Arvi
Oakland, CA

Paul Sherman

May 24, 2017, 9:05:16 PM5/24/17
to 650b
http://www.thegranarybicyclecompany.com

Has A23's for $50/ea. They used to have 32h and 36h, might be down to just 36h now. They're good rims, my only complaint has been that the brake track is a bit narrow.

Paul