Training for randoneurring

Daniel Jackson

Jul 18, 2016, 8:00:51 AM7/18/16
to 650b
Anyone have particular sources they'd like to share on how to train for these long distance rides?

Thanks,
D.

Chris Cullum

Jul 18, 2016, 8:52:23 AM7/18/16
to Daniel Jackson, 650b

Our club has a variety of resources and strategies on the website.
www.randonneurs.bc.ca

shawn b

Jul 18, 2016, 10:08:32 AM7/18/16
to 650b
Honestly the best thing is just to ride them. You'll learn what works for you as you go. You'll pick up tons of info just doing these rides with your local randonneuring club.

-Shawn
SF // Eastern Pa Randonneurs

David Cummings

Jul 18, 2016, 10:44:31 AM7/18/16
to 650b
There's plenty of time in the week to train.  Upon completing work at 5:00, get on bike and start cycling.  Continue cycling until it is time to shower for work the next morning.  Repeat as necessary.  ;)

Luke Heller

Jul 18, 2016, 12:28:49 PM7/18/16
to 650b
What you think is a long ride, a randonneur calls a short ride

If you're fast, slow down so you don't blow up.
If you're slow, spend less time at controls. Be calculated to get in/out of controls. Eat on the bike.

Regular eating becomes more of a concern/need on rides 300k+ for me.

Find a rando pal and train with them. Camaraderie helps the miles roll by. The jokes get worse/better as the night rolls on.

Ian A

Jul 18, 2016, 12:42:53 PM7/18/16
to 650b
The Google Groups page is a good resource https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/randon

What sort of riding are you doing now?  I found just breaking certain mileposts useful.  First a metric century, then a standard century, then a metric century with a mountain in it, etc.  The right clothes and food are the areas I struggled most with.

Ian A/Canada

Nick Bull

Jul 18, 2016, 1:54:43 PM7/18/16
to 650b
Join RUSA and they will send you the Handbook, which has excellent advice for all aspects of randonneuring.

John Hughes has a lot of useful free advice: http://www.coach-hughes.com/

If you can bicycle-commute to work on a regular basis, that helps to keep a stable level of fitness.  With daily commuting on my 20-mile roundtrip, 1000 feet of climbing commute, I can stay in good enough shape that I can do nothing but my daily commute and then ride a 200km once a month.

njh...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2016, 11:11:04 PM7/22/16
to 650b
My rule of thumb, which has worked pretty well for me over the ~30 years that I've been randonneuring, is that for the shorter rides - up to 400km - I should be training approximately the distance each week of the ride that I'm aiming at - ie, if I've been consistently riding 300km/week, I should be able to complete a 300km randonnee without problem. Unless you're cycling full-time, you obviously can't apply this rule for a 1000 or 1200 or P-B-P, but by the time you get to one of those you should have quite a number of shorter rides under your belt and a much better idea of what is involved.

Eric Keller

Jul 22, 2016, 11:18:48 PM7/22/16
to 650b
I learned almost everything I needed to know about randonneuring from
regularly riding 200km brevets. When I rode my first 300k, I realized
I could ride as far as I wanted as long as I ate right. You can learn
a lot about eating right on 200k's. Longer rides provide an
opportunity to see if you learned the right lessons.

I think you can probably do really well randonneuring with riding
intensity 2x per week, and a 100k once a week. Any other rides are to
keep the weight off. A monthly 200k has always had a positive effect
on my riding.

WMdeR

Jul 23, 2016, 12:01:10 AM7/23/16
to 650b
Dear Daniel,

The Randonneurs BC told me what I needed to get started, and Velocio filled in the gaps.

Best,

Will
William M deRosset
Fort Collins CO