FS: 53cm Ahren Rogers custom/proto bi-lam 650B

Joe Bunik

Aug 18, 2016, 9:34:30 PM8/18/16
to 650b
Dear 650B,

Oh boy oh my, they're really coming out of the woodwork around here... !!!

So... I've long had a crisis of faith about this thing: A nice
semi-custom / prototype frame by Ahren Rogers (Banjo), made for that
damned oh-how-I-love-them-so V*lo Or*nge Corp. ... once you get past
all that, ;-) it is actually a pretty dang cool, bi-laminate 650B
frame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/albums/72157667224650840

Designed for 650B up to 42mm tires (Hetres do fine) with 52mm fenders
(without any bending), has downtube braze-ons, and low trail fork. The
top-tube and head-tubes have semi-filleted-lugs, with the remainder of
the frame full-lugged elsewhere.

Lugged fork and brake bridges have reinforcement tangs, as do the
star-boss h2o braze-ons. Also integral chainguard star-bosses!
Wire/lighting braze-ons on the fork, plus dual eyelets front and rear
for fenders/racks. VO 1" threaded headset included.

ST c-to-c: 53cm
TT c-to-c: 54cm
Wheelbase: 104cm
Semi-horizontal dropouts
135mm rear dropout spacing

Asking $750, bikeflights shipping included CONUS. Discount for local
pickup. Let's talk - thanks!
=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

Joe Bunik

Sep 3, 2016, 10:20:36 PM9/3/16
to 650b
Bump;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/albums/72157667224650840

the Ahren Rogers / "Gentleman" frame is still available. And needs to
go - so, $600+shipping!

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

Mick

Sep 22, 2016, 11:42:44 AM9/22/16
to 650b
Hi, as someone who is short but long legged for my height I have had widely different experiences with different length top tubes based on the seat tube angle.

I start with the concept that a certain (measurable) amount of setback of the saddle in relation to the bottom bracket is the center point of the fit.  Someone who does a lot of bike fits said to me "put the engine in the right place for maximum power, fit everything else from there," also saves the knees.

Every degree of set back in the seat tube equals at least 1 cm of set back.

My 72 degree Riv with a no set back seat post puts me in the same position relative to the bottom bracket as my Pedal Force 74 degree seat tube and 2 cm. of set back from the post.  The top tube on the Riv is 54.5 and it is only slightly longer across the top then the pedal force's 52cm top tube with the same stems.

Unfortunately a lot of small frames come with a steeper seat tube angle.  For instance a 75 degree seat tube and 52 cm top tube is the same "stretch" as 72 degree seat tube and 55 cm top tube if you use the seat post to put the engine in the same place.

I'm 5'5" with a 29 inch inseam and my wife is 5"3" also with a 29 inch inseam.  So we can be very sensitive to the reach.

Mick

Reed Kennedy

Sep 22, 2016, 3:02:53 PM9/22/16
to Mick, 650b
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Mick <linco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Every degree of set back in the seat tube equals at least 1 cm of set back.

Not a bad rule of thumb, but it varies according to your seat height, of course. Turns out Wolfram Alpha is great for this!

For taller or shorter folks, replace "80cm" with your seat height. And, if you'd like, replace "1 degree" with the actual difference between the two frames you are looking to compare. (For example, if one frame has a 72° seat tube and the other has a 73.5°, you'd want "1.5 degrees".)

This has saved me a bunch of manual geometry. ::smile::

Reed

Joe Bunik

Sep 22, 2016, 3:56:57 PM9/22/16
to Reed Kennedy, Mick, 650b
Ha, thanks for reviving my FS post -- I'd probably oughta mention the
sweet Banjo-built proto frame has found a new owner!!!

Now I need to go get that protractor app installed on this new phone.
=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

>> email to 650b+uns...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/650b.

John Hawrylak

Sep 24, 2016, 6:16:58 PM9/24/16
to 650b, re...@notfine.com, linco...@gmail.com
Joe

Nice frame and my size.  I follow VO and have their Pass Hunter front canti rack/intergral decailluer and Campagne front bag.  Pleased with it but decailluer posts need to be 15mm higher

What model was the prototype for?   How much trial??  I think the Polyvalent was the only low trial frame.

The tubing looks oversized.  Do you know wall thickness?

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ.