Yepp Mini and low trail mimicry?

Daniel Jackson

Jul 22, 2016, 9:13:54 PM7/22/16
to 650b
After recently riding a low trail frame for the first time and my Riv Hunqapillar for a long time, I've come to wonder whether the addition of weight BEHIND the steering axis in the form of a Yepp Mini seat + toddler on my Hunqapillar is mimicking the feel of low trail geo.

The Yepp and my toddler certainly smooth handling of the Hunq's front end, prevent the front wheel from wanting to wander, and - most notably - seem to prevent the bike from wanting to fall into a turn at lower speeds. Indeed, with the Yepp and toddler on, the Hunqapillar maintains a steering radius more readily at slow speeds without input.

Does this jive with anyone else's experience?

rob perks

Jul 24, 2016, 3:04:25 PM7/24/16
to 650b
Daniel,
Short answer is yes.  It is somewhat similar in feel, but a slightly different way to get there.  This phenomenon can also show up with placement of lowrider panniers if heavy enough and position relative to steering.  This could devolve into a long conversation with B. Gordon and his feelings on the preference for low or high trail, and where you stack the load.  There are a bunch of forces at play, and adding the load of a front kid seat where it is, acts as a mass and pendulum steering counterweight.

That said, I much prefer the bobike mini we use on my Low Trail geometry bikes.  I have run it on the full spectrum over the last 5 years and it is the jam on a Rambler.  There are a few tricks to move it around, and as the kids get bigger I get there bottom right over the stem cap.

Fun experiments in practical applied physics

Kevin M

Jul 24, 2016, 3:39:51 PM7/24/16
to 650b
I used a Yepp Mini on my VO Pass Hunter city bike (mid trail) and it rocked. Steering never felt awkward. I only wish those things had a higher weight limit, because I kinda hate riding with a trailer now.