PSA: 65cm Soma Grand Randoneur V1

Guy Washburn

Aug 18, 2015, 9:11:59 PM8/18/15
to 650b
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bik/5179034890.html

The perfect tall persons gateway to 650B. This is being sold by a friend of mine. I have it's twin or I'd be all over it. This was Jim's GR. Small dent in the top tube. but otherwise in great shape. Nice build or as a F/F/H.

Brad

Aug 24, 2015, 10:02:13 AM8/24/15
to 650b
Seriously tall.  Bill Walton tall.

Guy Washburn

Aug 24, 2015, 5:57:24 PM8/24/15
to 650b
Actually not. The Soma sizing is based on the extended seat tube. It really rides like a 60-62cm. Mine is the same size, I'm 6'1" and it fits great (the V2 not so much as they raised the top tube a lot...)

Johan Larsson

Aug 25, 2015, 10:31:39 AM8/25/15
to 650b

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 4:02:13 PM UTC+2, Brad wrote:
Seriously tall.  Bill Walton tall.

No, no. I'm 188 cm/6'2" and the two bikes I use the most that has a classic level top tube measure 63 and 66 cm respectively. Maybe you get tricked by the 650B wheels on the Soma.

Johan Larsson,
Sweden

Johan Larsson

Aug 25, 2015, 10:41:32 AM8/25/15
to 650b
Ok, now I see - the stem and saddle height indicates that the person riding it is indeed quite tall... 6'7 maybe, or a little less?

Johan Larsson,
Sweden

Jim Bronson

Aug 26, 2015, 3:31:09 AM8/26/15
to Johan Larsson, 650b

I'm 6'7" and the 65 GR V1 is definitely too small for me.  The measurement is deceptive - the extension above the TT is huge and they measure C-T.  Actual C-C measurement is more like 58-60.

-Jim

Steven Frederick

Aug 26, 2015, 7:32:29 AM8/26/15
to 650b
Bit of a tangent--sometimes it seems Soma deliberately makes their
bikes hard to size--take my Soma B-side. I bought the small which
seemed the best choice for me according to their guidelines, but it's
borderline too small for me. I have a 120mm stem on it to get the
reach right, and a ridiculous amount of seatpost showing. Maybe it's
meant to be an old school fit--that length stem and seatpost exposure
would've been more typical a decade or more ago. Or maybe I'm just
between sizes-sometimes it happens. Going by their size guidelines,
the next size up would be too large for me but I wish I'd had a chance
to try one. Oh well, that's the downside of no test ride purchasing I
suppose. It's a fun bike, and fits well enough if just barely.

Steve

Evan Baird

Aug 26, 2015, 12:12:21 PM8/26/15
to 650b
The current b side is intended to be used with a modern trail cockpit. 60-80mm stem, sensibly wide bars.

Evan Baird

Aug 26, 2015, 12:13:12 PM8/26/15
to 650b
Also, their copy writer is a idiot. Sorry. Not my monkeys.

Steven Frederick

Aug 26, 2015, 1:07:48 PM8/26/15
to Evan Baird, 650b
I'm almost certainly between sizes then-thanks for the clarification!