Switch off rearlight

Robert Carlier

Mar 20, 2017, 4:52:31 PM3/20/17
to 650b

My setup is a SON SL hub, a B&M Luxos headlight and a Compass rearlight. The headlight can be switched on/off via the attached remote switch, but this doesn’t switch off the rearlight? I don’t mean the stand-function, where the rearlight will burn for another minute or so. It is constantly on.

Any ideas?

Virgil Staphbeard

Mar 20, 2017, 6:04:27 PM3/20/17
to 650b
Did you connect the taillight to the taillight leads on the headlight (assuming the headlight has a taillight hookup)? Or did you connect the taillight to the same wires as the headlight? I.e. hook both up to the same wire coming from the dynamo. If the latter that answers your question, you have it hooked up straight to the dynamo so there is no switch to turn it off.

Justus Gunther

Mar 20, 2017, 11:36:29 PM3/20/17
to Robert Carlier, 650b
My rear light does the same thing (B&M Secula Plus rear light, B&M Cyo front light) I have mine hooked up to the taillight wires on the headlight too.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Robert Carlier <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:

My setup is a SON SL hub, a B&M Luxos headlight and a Compass rearlight. The headlight can be switched on/off via the attached remote switch, but this doesn’t switch off the rearlight? I don’t mean the stand-function, where the rearlight will burn for another minute or so. It is constantly on.

Any ideas?

Ian A

Mar 21, 2017, 1:26:49 AM3/21/17
to 650b
You could put an inline switch to isolate the rear light when you don't want it to work. It would be difficult to find a switch small enough though. Perhaps break the wire and insert a banana plug that can just be separated when you want to cut power to the tail light. Again not an elegant solution.

The best person to ask would be Anton at Velolumino. He could probably build something suitable even. His work is superb.   http://www.velolumino.com/

IanA

Kevin M

Mar 21, 2017, 11:19:48 AM3/21/17
to 650b
I pull a kiddy trailer a lot and would also like a rear light switch.

Peter Turskovitch

Mar 21, 2017, 11:54:04 AM3/21/17
to 650b

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 4:19:48 PM UTC+1, Kevin M wrote:
I pull a kiddy trailer a lot and would also like a rear light switch.

I leave a sock in one of the pockets of the trailer, and just cover the light with that.

Not very elegant, but I find these quick and dirty solutions more than appropriate for "dad bikes"

Peter

Mark Guglielmana

Mar 21, 2017, 12:38:46 PM3/21/17
to 650b
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but why not just leave it on? 1W LED...

Ian A

Mar 22, 2017, 9:38:46 AM3/22/17
to 650b
The OP wanted to be able to switch off the rear light for trail riding, I'm guessing as a courtesy to following cyclists. Another poster referenced towing child/children in a trailer, so wanted to turn the light off rather than shine it into young eyes. I've been followed by a car for some time in the early hours of the morning - I has a battery taillight and turned off all my lights and was able to slip away. The car spent some time looking for me before it took off. It did not have flashing lights on top.

There are reasons to turn off the tail light. A blind like Peter uses in the form of a sock is effective. Battery tail lights are another alternative, but a switchable dynamo light would be useful at times.

IanA

Harald Kliems

Mar 22, 2017, 10:17:06 AM3/22/17
to 650b

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 10:19:48 AM UTC-5, Kevin M wrote:
I pull a kiddy trailer a lot and would also like a rear light switch.

May this be a good use case for the Littleford Dyna-Snap magnetic connector? That way you could run a dyno rear light on both trailer and bike, and easily switch between the two (or completely disconnect). http://harriscyclery.net/product/littleford-dyna-snap-connector-5448.htm

 Harald.

Mark Guglielmana

Mar 22, 2017, 3:48:20 PM3/22/17
to 650b
Pricey, but very cool!

Zach Roeder

Apr 19, 2017, 4:46:41 PM4/19/17
to 650b
Know anyone who is good with electronic circuits? I would disassemble the front light & rewire it so that the switch turns the rear light off. It might be as simple as resoldering one wire. Obviously this would void your warranty, but it is a very clean solution.

Andy Bailey Goodell

Apr 19, 2017, 6:14:10 PM4/19/17
to 650b
My Topline has a button that seems to turn it off, but I don't think I've ever used it until I get home, so I'm not sure what happens if you continue to ride.

Jeff Bertolet

Apr 19, 2017, 11:23:28 PM4/19/17
to 650b
The button on the Topline just discharges the capacitor used for the stand light. Using the button while riding would have no effect on the rear light.

Robert Carlier

May 31, 2017, 3:36:01 AM5/31/17
to 650b
Figured it out, both lights can be switched on/off via the button. The capacitor will discharge the rearlight offcourse before it will dime.
from left -> right
Out + : nothing
Out  - : power rearlight
In  +   : grounding with frame (works well with alu Chris King headset)
In   -   : power from SON

Cheers, Robert
IMG_6807.JPG

Brad

May 31, 2017, 7:08:59 AM5/31/17
to 650b
A curious thing about rear lights.
If you come up on a bike with a rear light in your car at night, the light disappears in the light from your headlight.
The reflector doesn't.  Why?  Because the brighter light you supply with the headlights is illuminating the  reflector.
The rear light on the bicycle is a marker light.