650b tubeless on A23 rims

Nick Payne

Dec 5, 2015, 7:20:12 PM12/5/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
I've just built a set of wheels using the Velocity A23 rims, which are
described as "tubeless-ready". I'm not sure that I actually want to run
them tubeless, but what 650b tyres have people successfully run tubeless
on these rims? Looking through my collection of tyres, I seem to
accumulated quite a few 650b spares: Hetre, Lierre, Soma B-Line,
Pari-Moto, Hutchinson Confrérie des 650, even a couple of old Michelin
Megamium which I'd forgotten I had.

Nick

nm matt

Dec 5, 2015, 8:09:06 PM12/5/15
to 650b
i've run Hetres as well as Babyshoe EL's tubeless on A23's for 2 or 3 years now. i have always needed to seat them when new with a compressor, but thereafter a floorpump has done the trick.

Gartenmeister

Dec 5, 2015, 9:01:05 PM12/5/15
to 650b
Might not be what you are looking for, but I run 650b Soma Cazaderos tubeless without a hitch.  Great tire BTW.

William Lindsay

Dec 6, 2015, 11:03:04 AM12/6/15
to 650b
I ran B-Lines tubeless on A23 rims a couple years ago without issue.  Just remember to use the right rim tape.  I used Stans.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Jon Doyle

Dec 7, 2015, 10:12:51 AM12/7/15
to 650b
I have a Switch Back Hill tubeless on the A23. I too needed a compressor for the initial sealing, a DIY soda bottle compressor.

Doug Williams

Dec 7, 2015, 11:37:17 PM12/7/15
to 650b
I run Babyshoe EL's on Pacenti SL23 tubeless ready rims. I was able to seat the beads with a floor pump, even when new, using this trick. 1. Seat the tire normally using a tube. 2. Break just one of the beads and remove the inner tube and install the tubeless stem. 3. Partially seat the second bead as best as you can by pulling the tire into place. 3. Pump using floor pump at moderate speed, pausing to pull up on the bead to partially seat the "big leak areas". 4. Pump again fast.

Doug

Tim Gavin

Dec 9, 2015, 11:20:52 AM12/9/15
to 650b
Negative on the Pari-Motos (current production run) tubeless.

I got them to seat up just fine on the "tubeless-ready" PL23 rims.

But, the sidewalls were leaking Stan's sealant froth for six weeks, no matter how much sealant or air I put in the tires.  The tires would lose pressure during a ride, so I gave up on tubeless Pari-Motos after two falls from a low pressure front tire.

Cheers,
Tim

Tony DeFilippo

Aug 19, 2016, 9:06:31 PM8/19/16
to 650b
Tim or anyone else with the experience... Anyone had recent success or failure with the current 'Panaracer Parimotos' (650x38) tubeless on A23's or other rims?

Today at my not quite local LBS - Gravel and Grind James hooked me up tubeless with SBH EL's on original PL23 rims using 3 layers of orange seal tape and the sand brand sealant... They bleed sealant pretty alarmingly through the sidewalls but took the seal and are holding so far. I'll report back after a couple days with an update.

Anyway I'm intrigued about going tubeless on the parimotos/a23 combo as well but based on this thread and a could others it seems like folks have had some issues.

Tony

Nick Favicchio

Aug 19, 2016, 11:18:10 PM8/19/16
to 650b
I too have had parimotos leak goo endlessly.

Hard evil fail!

Tony DeFilippo

Aug 20, 2016, 8:07:00 AM8/20/16
to 650b
Hmm, that doesn't sound promising. Thanks for the feedback Nick.

Nick Favicchio

Aug 20, 2016, 10:31:22 AM8/20/16
to 650b
That was brief :). So I was successful in getting the beads to lock, I got pressure, but as someone else mentioned the sidewalls are so thin and porous that anything more than 20 psi and the sidewalls would ooze and ooze.

This was a used tire. Perhaps a new tire would be different. And I've heard much more successful stories with folks trying tubeless with the Compass tires.

I will try again but failing to set that tire up tubeless was one of the most infuriating bike failures for some reason. I change tires a lot so tubeless might just not be for me. Yet.

Tony DeFilippo

Aug 20, 2016, 11:07:58 AM8/20/16
to 650b
I do have an the stuff to give it a go... It's a solution in search of a problem in my case as I don't think I've flatted my A23/PM38's in over a year.

Combination of naturally enjoying tinkering and having just seen (a professional) rather quickly and easily set my SBH's up tubeless for my Bombadil have me considering it... And I do have all the stuff to try.

Funny because a year and half or so ago when I put the Saluki together one of the key tenets of the build was that it would be the 'non-tinker' bike because it was dry up so purposefully and well.

I'll definitely report back if I try it out!

Tony

Tim Gavin

Aug 22, 2016, 1:06:58 PM8/22/16
to 650b
Yep, as I said I tried it last year with poor results.  I decided to try tubeless because I got a puncture flat within the first 50 miles of my new Pari Motos.  I'd had success (mostly) with my fat bike, and my PL23 rims were "tubeless-ready".  But, the Pari-Moto tires just frothed sealant out through the sidewalls.

I set up the wheels on my 'cross bike tubeless this weekend.  Tubeless-ready Stan's rims, Stan's tape, tubeless-ready tires (Bontrager CX0).  The front one has a strong seal, but there's a tiny bit of seepage somewhere in the rear.  I added more sealant and gave it the "shake'n'stir" a couple more times, and it seems to be improving.

I'll repeat my recommendation: don't try to do the Pari-Motos tubeless; they're not safe.  Mine seemed like they were holding pressure, but they lost enough air in a 20 min ride that I crashed from the front tire folding over.  And that was after 6 weeks of "shake'n'stir".

Cheers,
Tim

Justin Hughes

Aug 22, 2016, 4:04:33 PM8/22/16
to 650b
Seems awfully conclusive from such a small sample size. I'm running 1.75" Pari Motos tubeless on Blunt SS rims. Orange Seal sealant. They leaked some sealant while I let them sit overnight. I got two punctures in the first 53 mile ride, but the sealant did what it was supposed to do and I pumped up and continued my ride. These tires are awesomely supple, light and fast, but I can't imagine they are worth the potential headache without sealant whether running tubeless or tubes.