Test fitting 650b wheels in Portland metro area (Oregon) - I'm offering for those that want to try it out

Mark Guglielmana

Jul 21, 2015, 10:50:09 PM7/21/15
to 650b
I've seen a lot of posts lately about people wanting to try out a 650b test fit, and realize that really the best way to do this is to put a set of 650b wheels and see how it fits. Room for 42mm Hetres? Fenders and clearance? How about brakes?

I have a set of 650b wheels with 42mm wide tires, also a set with 33's. If someone in the area wants to check out the fit, let me know. I'm in SW Portland, close to Tigard and Beaverton.

A couple of LBS sites that I'm pretty sure would do the same would be Velo Cult (of course), and a dark horse: Kenton Cycles in North Portland (technically the Kenton area).

I've converted a few bikes to 650b, including fork rerake if warranted and cantilever addition. It's much better to test fit a set of wheels rather than just take a bunch of measurements - one test fit is better than a thousand measurements, IMO.

Mark Guglielmana

Jul 21, 2015, 10:53:15 PM7/21/15
to 650b
And, BTW, others that are willing to do the same, please post!

Ryan Watson

Jul 21, 2015, 11:13:43 PM7/21/15
to Mark Guglielmana, 650b
Ditto for anyone in or around Albuquerque.
I have 650B wheels plus assorted tires and long reach brakes that I'd be willing to loan out for test fitting.

Ryan W.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 22, 2015, 7:02:54 AM7/22/15
to Mark Guglielmana, 650b
you'll also need to specify the width of the rear hub

rob perks

Jul 22, 2015, 8:38:40 AM7/22/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com
Doing 650b conversions is one of the things that got us started as a company.  We will almost always have a set of wheels on hand for a test fit  I also keep most of the commonly available conversion brakes on hand for the same test fitting reason.  Even within a single brand, like Fuji, there is often enough variation from year to year that a test fit is the way to go.

We are in Ventura, Ca, making everything from West LA to Santa Barbara a reasonable 1/2 day trip to visit.  We are still striving for full time hours, so hit me with an email if you need to arrange a test fit.

Mark Guglielmana

Jul 22, 2015, 10:59:47 AM7/22/15
to Steve Palincsar, 650b
"you'll also need to specify the width of the rear hub"

True, but for a test fit, I've found that 130mm spacing will work on everything from 126-135 fairly easily. You're just trying to check clearances. If you want to ride on them, then of course you've got brakes to consider, derailleurs, etc.
--
Mark Guglielmana

blakcloud

Jul 23, 2015, 2:53:52 PM7/23/15
to 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com
For those in Toronto, Canada, I have a set of wheels with Hetre's or Marathon's. I actually have everything to build a second 650b bike except a frame. This includes the Tektro 559 brakes if you want to check for reach. Just shoot me an email.

Harold Bielstein

Jul 23, 2015, 3:05:59 PM7/23/15
to blakcloud, 650b, mark.gug...@gmail.com
I’ve been building 650B machines for a while now so I have 2 sets of wheels and multiple sets of tires - 32s, 38s and 42s and several frames. But I’m pretty remote up here in the Black Hills of SoDak. Let me know if I can be of help.

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 12:53 PM, blakcloud <blakc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For those in Toronto, Canada, I have a set of wheels with Hetre's or Marathon's. I actually have everything to build a second 650b bike except a frame. This includes the Tektro 559 brakes if you want to check for reach. Just shoot me an email.
>

> --

Hal Bielstein
5211 Meadowlark Dr
Rapid City, SD 57702