Paul Mini-Moto On Kogswell / 38mm / M12 ?

ispypowen

Jan 16, 2015, 4:06:47 AM1/16/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Hoping to get advice about whether Paul Mini-Moto's would work with following:

I'd like to upgrade the Tektro CR720 canti brakes on my Kogswell P/R, with 38mm tires, fenders, and Nitto M12 rack. Wondering if the Paul brakes will work w.r.t. w/ clearances and brake lever pull. Currently running bar end shifters; the brake (-only) levers are Shimano Super SLR that came off the old Romulus (original Riv build).

Would TRP's fit better?

If anyone has photos that would be swell.

Thank you!

Andrew

Jan 16, 2015, 5:06:38 AM1/16/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
Paul has different adaptors to attach a rack onto brake posts, which places the rack about 3/4" further out from the fork.   There is a workaround to use longer brake bolts into the posts with  some short spacers that was mentioned somewhere round here a few days back - which I'm going to try but haven't got material for the spacers yet. You could modify a rack like VO which is made of stainless (welding a plated rack like Nitto releases bad, bad fumes).
Message has been deleted

Fred Blasdel

Apr 11, 2015, 10:16:16 PM4/11/15
to pws, 650b

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM, pws <ispy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Finally starting on this. The Nitto M12 rack comes with special double-ended brake post bolts (M5) to replace the standard ones that go into the brake bosses. One end goes into the brake boss, the other end connects to the rack mount; an integrated divider halfway separates brake vibration from rack mounting. Problem is, the threaded portion is too short -- I think because the Paul parts stick out front of the brake boss. Am I doing this wrong? I can't find longer versions of these special bolts...

Paul makes their own special version to fit into the recess on their brakes: http://www.paulcomp.com/rackadapter.html

But you really shouldn't use them with a Nitto M12, the bolt at the crown won't line up anymore and it'll break there if you force it

It's much easier to just switch your front brake to a Tektro CR720 or CR710 that doesn't have these problems.

Andrew

Apr 11, 2015, 10:49:08 PM4/11/15
to 65...@googlegroups.com
But like me it sounds like he's bought a set of Paul brakes and a rack already. I have been and bought those Paul adaptors but will only use them if the spacer approach doesn't work for me as they add about 3/4" length to the brake posts. The other post specified approx 6mm long SS tube spacers that needed to be >6mm ID and <10mm OD. If rather than buying metric tube one gets Imperial, with 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD then he gets to save the cost of the brakes and rack, and keeps the load in closer to the head tube than using Paul spacers. I've not done this yet, so rely on the +ve experience of the previous poster.
Message has been deleted

David Pertuz

Apr 12, 2015, 12:17:39 AM4/12/15
to 650b
You don't, strictly speaking, need any of it. I've been using an M12 with Paul brakes for, I dunno, maybe 15 or 20 thousand miles now with no special hardware - just longer bolts in the posts. I had to bend the arms on the rack a little bit, but not too much.

David
Chicago